Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are you sitting on a horde of under graded coins?

bennybravobennybravo Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭
edited November 21, 2022 2:36PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Just curious. As a collector of 35+years, I have a few that are graded wrong, yet I've no desire to pay more money to grading services to tell me what I already know, as I have no desire to sell. Do you have coins that haven't yet been upgraded to their maximum monetary value in your opinion?

Comments

• Options

And I know that hope springs eternal, but I'm talking to folks> @BillJones said:

When I look at the grading of some of the pieces I see offered, I get the same feeling.

Getting coins graded is really expensive these days when you include the shipping both ways.

Another factor is this 10 point grading system NGC is pushing. I want to spend money on coins, not grading. I've been through that once, and don't want to go there again.

Beautifully said.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2022 2:40PM

Dozens and dozens. Why those no good dirty dang graders never get it right 😂
    ( less it’s a 70).
    All my little preciousies. Gollum. Their not 69’s their 70’s. I tell ya I’ve been robbed 😀. 70’s , you here me, 70’s.
    Maybe 🥴

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    Everything I own is undergraded! ;)

Everyone thinks that.

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

And don't forget the 1% tax imposed against you because they got it wrong the first time. They want their cut of your new discovered wealth under the "Guarantee Premium".

But yes, I have a few older slabbed coins I think would get a grade bump if resubmitted.

• Options
    steelieleesteelielee Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭

Timely topic. Everything on ebay is undergraded. 😆

Many successful BST transactions with dozens of board members, references on request.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:

@TomB said:

Everyone thinks that.

except me. i THOUGHT the title of the thread was "un graded!" :s

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I have a number of coins that I'm very sure would upgrade in todays grading room. But I think that Bill nailed it, I'm not a seller and there is no reason to spend thousands of dollars on more grading fees. I'm betting that all my green and gold bean coins will do well someday in the future without all that extra cost and hassle.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

@coinbuf said:
    Yes, I have a number of coins that I'm very sure would upgrade in todays grading room. But I think that Bill nailed it, I'm not a seller and there is no reason to spend thousands of dollars on more grading fees. I'm betting that all my green and gold bean coins will do well someday in the future without all that extra cost and hassle.

Great outlook my friend. Great coins are great coins.

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the number of coins that would upgrade are matched by the coins that would downgrade. Most of them aren't worth re-grading or re-considering.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

15 years ago I had about 100 graded and about 400 raw error coins. At that time, I thought no way I pay for grading fees for plastic where I could instead put that money into coins. 400 coins to get the mint error label would be expensive.

Fast forward to today. I have zero raw coins and about 800 slabbed mint error coins.

Plastic adds value for sure.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@Smudge said:

@TomB said:

Everyone thinks that.

except me. i THOUGHT the title of the thread was "un graded!" :s

I am sitting on a hoard of ungraded coins! But if I re-up my PCGS membership, I’ll likely reduce that in the coming year.

I did break down and resubmit one coin this year, because the price spread warranted it, and it had previously been in a higher grade holder, so I knew it had a legitimate chance. And it did “upgrade” back to its former number. Others that I own are smaller spreads, so they can stay under graded lol!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    VasantiVasanti Posts: 448 ✭✭✭✭

Why spend the money upgrading them now when in ten years there will be some whiz bang new thing like AI grading.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are ungraded coins undergraded?

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup, and every one of them has a gold bean to prove it.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

As I stated in the other thread, I think I have a couple. However, they will remain as is.... I just don't care..... If I were in the business, I would think differently. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

I get an ulcer just thinking about getting Ups, USPS, or FedEx involved with my material. I wish PCGS was easier on the wallet for show turnaround.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everyone always thinks their coins are under-graded just like everyone always thinks they're going to Heaven.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Maywood said:
    Everyone always thinks their coins are under-graded just like everyone always thinks they're going to Heaven.

But mine really are undergraded 😂. It’s the gradersees , they don’t understand my preciousus’s. It’s the Bagginses fault, especially Bilbo 😀

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not sure it’s a horde, but I definitely sock away conservatively graded coins, many of which are in older holders.

Tom

• Options
    VetterVetter Posts: 789 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s funny. I just received 3 coins back for just this reason. Well, really two. One of the three I wanted in a different holder. That one dropped from F15 to F12. Not a big deal money wise. The other two both upgraded. One went from MS61 to MS63, well worth the cost and the other went from F12 to VF25. A huge difference in value.

Members I have done business with:
    Silverman68, jfoot13, GAB, ricman, Smittys, scrapman1077, RyGuy, Connecticoin, Meltdown, VikingDude, Peaceman, Patches and more.
  • Options
    JimWJimW Posts: 540 ✭✭✭✭

@Vetter did you crack them out or leave them in the old holders when submitting?
    TIA

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown

• Options
    VetterVetter Posts: 789 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JimW said:
    @Vetter did you crack them out or leave them in the old holders when submitting?
    TIA

I cracked them out

Members I have done business with:
    Silverman68, jfoot13, GAB, ricman, Smittys, scrapman1077, RyGuy, Connecticoin, Meltdown, VikingDude, Peaceman, Patches and more.
  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

The under-graded (IMO) TPG coins I have are mostly CAC coins. The rest of my TPG coins are accurately graded or are over-graded a tad, IMO.

My problem is I have a pile of ungraded, raw coins, many of which need to be graded now after the recent surge in the coin market.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

No

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless the coin is PCGS and cac, many dealers would say over-graded, "just don't crack them out" or you'll never get them back in that holder.

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got a few coins i want to send in, but just haven't pulled the trigger yet. I'm a perpetual Procrastinator.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Maywood said:

All of my coins are under-graded... not sure about that second part though. :D

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sent in 12 PCGS graded modern 69's that my son and I felt looked better than all the rest I have.

Four of them just now came back 70's.

So, no I am not sitting on a horde of under-graded coins, lol, but this was a good result and now these all have True Views and NFC holders.

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 15, 2022 11:06AM

I just sent 4 coins to CAC. Three of them went gold and one went green. Not too shabby. I'm waiting for them to be mailed back.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file