Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Any Over-dates Out There?

lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here are the few I have. Any others?
None of these are one of those impressive over-dates. That is where they almost look like two numbers. The 1829/7 is the easiest to see. The other two I am kind of looking for the smaller chips of metal. But still I little fun to seek out.

1819/8

1824/4

1829/7

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

Comments

• Options
    justindanjustindan Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unsure if this is a true over date or just doubling. It's the only one I have.

• Options

Look good and I see some of those double/two number type.

@lermish said:
    Over mintmarks acceptable?

1875 S/CC

I would think so. Mostly the same process but instead of changing the time, just changing the location. :)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have looked for the Merc 42/1 dime for a long time. No luck - well, let me clarify, no luck on one with a low price offering - AND a date that is not worn into almost unreadable condition. I will find one... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does this count?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

@DCW said:
    My only one: a 1942/1 dime my grandfather pulled out of his change in the 1950s.

Neat that he pulled it from change. It was just a dime then.

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:
    Does this count?

Calling The Church Lady
    Well Isn't That Special

• Options
    124Spider124Spider Posts: 847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 11, 2022 1:02PM

Another offering: This is a cool (to me, anyway ;) ) combination overdate and RPM--1960 small date over large date, and D/D

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mr_Spud said:

>

That's a nice looking Merc that shows the overdate well! <3

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lilolme said:

Never just a dime! This was a popular variety since WWII. In fact, being the gentleman that he was, my grandfather offered it back to the girl at the cashier who sold him the cup of coffee.
    "You just gave me a valuable dime," he said as he handed it back to her for close inspection. "Why dont you keep it?"
    Fortunately, she handed it back, seeing how much it meant to him.

God, I miss that guy.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

@DCW said:

@lilolme said:

Never just a dime! This was a popular variety since WWII. In fact, being the gentleman that he was, my grandfather offered it back to the girl at the cashier who sold him the cup of coffee.
    "You just gave me a valuable dime," he said as he handed it back to her for close inspection. "Why dont you keep it?"
    Fortunately, she handed it back, seeing how much it meant to him.

God, I miss that guy.

Didn't know that (WWII) but I can understand that it was known. I was saying that it was a circulating dime that 9 out of 10 or more people just spent but he knew to pull it. Similar to today, those who know look for some varieties (or even silver?) but 300 million plus people in US just spend them. Just a coin.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,496 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    I've always been partial to the 1817/3 CBH-

I have one that I'm happy to have gotten years ago. I'm happy 🙂

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here’s one - Bust Half 1829/7 (MS65 w/CAC):

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

Easy to see 1818/7 ... need to reimage this one

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options

I was never quite sure if this was an over-date. @Twobitcollector- Does it look like yours?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    NSPNSP Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭✭

1818/5

1824/2

1825/4/2

1825/4/2

• Options
    124Spider124Spider Posts: 847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:
    I was never quite sure if this was an over-date. @Twobitcollector- Does it look like yours?

Yes!

Here's mine:

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 12, 2022 2:11PM

Last date punched overdate in American numismatics, everything since is a doubled die

• Options

@124Spider said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Yes!

Thanks @124Spider!!

• Options

@Crypto said:
    Last date punched overdate in American numismatics, everything since is a doubled die

Cool. Interesting to know.
    Now if I can just remember it. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file