Home U.S. Coin Forum

HELP with this Gold Coin? Is it Authentic?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Comments

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't really tell from you pics...can you enlarge?
    bob :)
    ooops, Mark be me to it!

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

Upon first blush, yes, the coin and slab are authentic.
    For a final, more concrete opinion, though, as requested above, close-ups would be advantageous in giving you a more
    conclusive answer.

peacockcoins

• MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 'cert verification' looks OK, except for the missing NFC descriptor. Link

If it is in your possession, have you tried the NFC chip? Reference

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 4, 2022 8:41AM

OP: what leads you to ask the question? Do you see any issues?

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Appears to be authentic... As asked above, why are you concerned?? Cheers, RickO

• Just when the deal seems to good to be true I get nervous. This is for sale from a local storage unit flipper for $450 and it just seems like it is too good of a deal?

• DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TeacherCollector said:
    Just when the deal seems to good to be true I get nervous. This is for sale from a local storage unit flipper for $450 and it just seems like it is too good of a deal?

Ahhh ok, that makes more sense as to why you are concerned, as I would be also. That coin would easily sell for double, maybe even triple that price on any venue. I think it would be advantageous to obtain better quality photos from the flipper. If it is legit, it would be a hell of a deal.

• Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find it surprising that a coin like that would be found in a storage unit. Did the seller claim to find that in a storage unit?

• Yeah he is a flipper of units

• vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks OK, but as stated the pictures are not great.

The circumstances are suspicious.

Vplite99
  • JWPJWP Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 4, 2022 5:35PM

Why doesn't the flipper take it to a pawn shop. Surely he could get what he has offered to you to buy it. If is worth 2x or 3x of his asking price, why is he giving you such a good deal? :neutral:

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was it the only coin there? Ask many questions.

• youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

@MetroD said:
    @TeacherCollector

Back in OCT-2022, you posted some coins you "acquired" from your uncle, and asked about values. The coin in the OP of this thread appears to be among them (i.e, 7858.66/44824539). OCT-2022 Thread

Image from the OP of the OCT-2022 Thread for Reference:

If I understand this post correctly, a 'flipper' is now offering to sell you the same exact coin from an abandoned storage unit.

Please forgive me, but I am confused. Can you clarify?

Some OPs are just special! Called out one about a week ago and the original photo in the post disappeared immediately, after which an authentic photo showed up later in the post lol.

edited November 5, 2022 3:24AM

@TeacherCollector said:
    Any help would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Well, let's preserve the photos from this thread so they don't disappear. ;)

It seems to be the same photo. 🤔

• wozymodowozymodo Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

Impressive! No "fakes" getting past these guys.

• tincuptincup Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another entertaining post! Good detective work!

----- kj
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

ooops

:)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

The OP's profile shows that they have logged on today.

Why no comment on this thread? 🤔

I expect they're scrambling to find another photo of a different coin and will then claim that they accidentally posted the wrong one.

• justindanjustindan Posts: 695 ✭✭✭✭✭

oh boy.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 6, 2022 6:50AM

Are you questioning my integrity 🙀?

It’s all a misunderstanding. Gollum, gollum’s, my precious they don’t know, it’s it’s not the same coinsy😁

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

C'mon, TeacherCollector, teach us something about your collection. :*

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 6, 2022 8:22AM

Is it possible the OP accidentally attached the wrong pics? Mistakes do happen.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    Is it possible the OP accidentally attached the wrong pics? Mistakes do happen.

Sure, but if that were the case, he probably would have posted to the thread again.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

Gollum 😁

• jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TeacherCollector said:
    Hey all, so sorry for the mistake just part mix up and mostly embarrassment. Thought I was getting a great deal from a member on here (Todd Straub from Ohio turns out a new member so I should have known better :( ) so was trying to ask for some advise but as I am a newer to this hobby and still only collection mostly average 90% and average Star Notes I knew that these deals go fast and I bite. After I bite I didnt receive the coin and the seller told me shipping was more expensive and needed an extra $25 dollars to send it to me. SOooo before I sent the $25 I asked again in this thread but was still nervous because my gut said scam but the feedback made me more confident so I sent the $25. And now it is Sunday and he is a ghost.... I have learned to be much more careful AND I am thankful for all the people that did put in advice AND I am sorry to all of you that I wasted your time.

Sincerely Sorry from a scammed, embarrassed young collector... And beware a Todd Straub from Ohio

Again I am very very sorry for any wasted Time

HUHHH???? so now there is yet another story of where the coin is from...

• Sorry he is a storage unit flipper and member here

• I apologize for any mistakes I was/am very very embarrassed for sending $475 dollars in a scam

edited November 6, 2022 12:04PM

Hey teacher
    How about the burning question? Why are you using the same picture? Of a coin from family, not a naughty formite but now it’s from storage wars ?😁
    Did you read what was posted? No? Well go up about 15 or so posts and explain please or not?

• Same Picture because (even more embarrassing) the first 3 coins I would not send the $8000 fast enough so he said they sold and this last week he said he has one coin left from his last unit and I was too dumb to realize it was the same coin that he said he had sold in the lot of 3 coins a few weeks earlier

But but but last year it was inherited. Not a picture from storage wars. 😁
    I think I’ll go bang my head against the walk and see if this word salad makes sense 🤨

• Yes I was asking for help saying it was an inherited piece because I was scared the deal would be scooped up if I wasnt careful..... NOPE I was just the one to get scammed buy not being 100% truthful

Once again I am sorry for wasting anyones time on this, and I am embarrassed enough for a lifetime

Sorry to hear that. Please post the username of the member you’re speaking of and how the two of you first made contact with each other.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

@TeacherCollector said:
    I can do better,

I have a phone number that is not being answered, A zelle account THAT NONE OF YOU SHOULD EVER SEND MONEY TOO, A Supposed sign business in Ohio that is his day job and then flips storage units on the side also

That’s not really doing better in terms of helping others avoid him. Forum members should be made aware of his username.

• Side Note: As a Teacher I do work multiple jobs, So I am about to leave for my night bartending job. Do not want you all thinking I am ignoring you or a scammer. Just want you all to know that I am not ignoring this site but I will be working. I should be able to reply to anything further tomorrow on my lunch.

Again Again, I am sorry for wasting any time and even more sorry I wasted $475 and so stupid and embarrassed

• jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about give us the username of the person who scammed you? I’m sorry if this is true. If you are BS’ing us, you will be banned soon I’m sure.

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TeacherCollector
    "embarrassed young collector"
    "not being 100% truthful"

IF you are a young person this is a great opportunity to learn "Honesty is the best policy" ;)

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,618 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 6, 2022 1:30PM

This story makes less and less sense.

1. If the original 3 coins were being sold by a forum member, why would you be lying about them being inherited ON THE FORUM?
    2. Why would this scam artist only reach out to you rather than posting on BST?
    3. Why would you lie the first time and then allegedly tell the truth the second time? It's the same forum and the same audience.
    4. How did you manage to ask on the 4th about authenticity but end up scammed by the 6th? The timeline makes no sense. The problem was never authenticity but ghosting you, allegedly, after payment.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file