Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

HELP with this Gold Coin? Is it Authentic?

2»

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,043 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:
    A young collector who is a teacher and tends bar at night?

Could be. Depends on your definition of "young ".

• Options
    ms71ms71 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Somehow, I doubt the OP will be forthcoming with a username.

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2022 1:30PM

@MasonG said:
    A young collector who is a teacher and tends bar at night?

The funnier thing is that he sent him $475 (allegedly) and then asked us if it were authentic before sending $25? And the seller didn't ghost him after the $475 but kept him on the hook for another $25?

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I understand the latest story, the original one about inherited coins was a misdirect so as not to tip off the potential deal. Those coins were then supposedly sold.

Then, the scammer came back with a "new" coin which the OP posted on this thread.

If the above is correct, it was a little bit of fibbing to try to keep the potential deal under wraps, and the OP unfortunately ended up being cheated. :/

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure what to believe here but, regardless, if you’re spending real money (acknowledging that might be $25 for some people and $25,000 or more for others), it’s a red flag if you need to ask strangers on the internet for their opinions. You need to develop enough knowledge to make your own decision or develop a relationship with a trusted mentor who can advise you (in real life, not just the interwebs).

This advice extends beyond numismatics to all kinds of investments and purchases where a lot of value is at stake.

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread has become more confusing than watching the Packers just lose to the Lions. THE LIONS!!!!!!

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually, this reality check has been brought to us by a strong group consciousness that is very necessary to keep this forum in good working order.
    Confucius say: Thou dost protest too much! Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to hear Todd Straub's side of the story. ;):D

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok. I understand now 🦫

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options

@JBK said:
    If I understand the latest story, the original one about inherited coins was a misdirect so as not to tip off the potential deal. Those coins were then supposedly sold.

Then, the scammer came back with a "new" coin which the OP posted on this thread.

If the above is correct, it was a little bit of fibbing to try to keep the potential deal under wraps, and the OP unfortunately ended up being cheated. :/

Close. It wasn't a "new" coin. It was the last of the 3 original coins - allegedly. 3 coins owned by a member of this forum who was informed on the 1st thread that he could use the PCGS guide to establish price and yet he STILL wanted 1/3 of the price guide price for the coin,

And - allegedly - the OP sent him $475. Didn't get the coin. Then came to us to ask if the coin he never received was genuine before he sent the guy $25 more. Because that makes sense...

If this story is true, we now know definitively why Johnny can't read...

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    This story makes less and less sense.

1. If the original 3 coins were being sold by a forum member, why would you be lying about them being inherited ON THE FORUM?
    2. Why would this scam artist only reach out to you rather than posting on BST?
    3. Why would you lie the first time and then allegedly tell the truth the second time? It's the same forum and the same audience.
    4. How did you manage to ask on the 4th about authenticity but end up scammed by the 6th? The timeline makes no sense. The problem was never authenticity but ghosting you, allegedly, after payment.

I have a possible explanation for #3 above. Earlier today, I sent him a private message, as follows:

“In case you care, this thread of yours has destroyed your credibility:
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1083403/help-with-this-gold-coin-is-it-authentic#latest

At this point, publicly admitting (edited to add “what”) your real reason was for doing that would probably be better than ignoring it, as you’ve been doing.”

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pcgscacgold said:
    This thread has become more confusing than watching the Packers just lose to the Lions. THE LIONS!!!!!!

I’m as confused with this thread as Sean McVay and the Rams are blowing their game against TB and Brady.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some teachers have no.............................. dang, can't finish that if I want to stay on this forum.
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Lmao. Might be the same person that started this thread. Check it out, photos disappeared again. Nevertheless got a good laugh.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1083200/deleted#latest:~:text=Unbookmark-,.%20Deleted,-Walkerlover%20Posts%3A

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well said Sir!

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 7, 2022 2:15PM

Well, you must have sympathy for all the people out there that forgot they stored their gold coins in a storage space, and then can't come up with the rent!

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would be embarrassed if I was offered a coin (that I had shown on the forum) at a great deal, and I sent money to buy it.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure there’s a reason to shut it down.
    Last I checked an overactive imagination and silly stories to justify it is ok, I think 🤔

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    edited November 7, 2022 11:04PM

Can I somehow get this app and will it come with a very obnoxious, loud siren notification when the BS occurs?

• Options
    UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 498 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm disappointed there haven't been any updates. I usually enjoy reading a good fairytale.

Philippians 4:4-7

• Options

@UpGrayedd said:
    I'm disappointed there haven't been any updates. I usually enjoy reading a good fairytale.

What more is there to say?

• Options
    UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@UpGrayedd said:

What more is there to say?

IDK, maybe I made it all up and I'm sorry for being a jackwagon.

Why did you respond to my comment? Is yours really a legitimate question?

Philippians 4:4-7

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2022 12:54AM

@pcgscacgold said:

Keeping it coin related:

;)

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2022 4:33AM

@TeacherCollector —people err and triple down; the memory will ache a tad. Do me a favor, though—change the username on this account—please.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

The OP was last active November 6 so I'm guessing he's gone although he may be back under an alternative identity.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know why I read this whole thread, it seemed more like some kind of logic puzzle from a Dell magazine.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I don't know why I read this whole thing either... there's about 10 minutes of my life I'll not get back! I guess some people just crave attention after being locked away for a couple of years... "They're Here!!"...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭

I scrolled to the end after the third BS meter! :)

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 9, 2022 10:28AM

I read though this post and I'm still confused the whole thing. I can't even tell what the contradictions are. I'm old.

I need to avoid these posts where the OP has one of those "happy smile" or weird generic avatars....

jom

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am SO bummed that I missed this thread when it originally debuted. :D

RIP Mom- 1932-2012

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file