Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Nice to "meet" you.

Hi Forum:

I just wanted to introduce myself to the room. I am a newer collector, and I started my collecting journey in April 2020 during the COVID lockdown. Within a few months of my start, the "coin shortage" forced me to pivot my collecting strategy and I started buying graded coins. While it did not seem like it at the time, this was probably the best thing that could have happened to expedite my numismatic knowledge. My introductory goal was to establish a modified type set of US Coins using the Dansco 7070 as my model.

Today, my main focus is US half cents (but I am still working on the Type Set in the background). I am building a "major variety set"of half cents, but not trying to go full Cohen (yet). Early American Coppers are my favorite, because I love the history and finding nice examples can be a real challange. :)

My goals for the forums are:
1. To Learn
2. To Teach (although new, I have been able to pick-up some knowledge, and I am happy to share it)
3. To be with like-minded collectors who enjoy this great hobby.

Happy Halloween and I look forward to meeting and interacting with you.

Neo

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

Comments

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you have varied interests within the hobby, and—based on your intro post—you’ll fit in well here.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome.

• Options
    WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2022 1:41PM

Welcome aboard! :)
    Another Early copper enthusiast! Funny but I'm also casually working on a type set and actively working on a 'Major Variety' set of large cents, not too far off ;)
    I think you'll find many great people on this forum with similar interests, theres all different types of people here, as long as you don't let the few naysayers get to you this place is loads of fun!

Edit: Nice profile pic btw! 1803?

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome B)

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t think introductions are necessary! Nice to see here you over here as well.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

:)

• Options
    NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 883 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the warm welcome. And, it's great to see a few familiar faces!

@WilliamF - you are correct. That's an 1803 LC from my Type Set. Nice work!!!

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome :)

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to forum! Glad to have you here

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NeophyteNumismatist ... Welcome aboard. Nice introduction. Good luck with your sets. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum! :)

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey howdy
    Welcome. This is a wonderful, wild and sometimes crazy place. Lots to learn and these folks share their knowledge freely.
    Such an awesome opportunity to learn and have a little fun.
    😁🙀😸😻🦫

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a great place to learn and it appears you have a terrific attitude. Welcome and good luck with you collecting goals.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,291 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the hobby. This forum is a great place to learn and share your goals and your finds. Great to have another Early Copper collector. You will find it a smaller part of the forum than others, but most are truly dedicated to learning and collecting and sharing their information. We love photos so load us up when you have the urge.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

You found the right place, welcome.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great hobby, great forum ... and if I'm reading you right ... you'll fit right in here. :)

Welcome!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the introduction.

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you are here!

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    Stingray63Stingray63 Posts: 299 ✭✭✭

Welcome

Pocket Change Inspector

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome aboard. A great place to learn, buy & sell coins. The members are fantastic and always eager and willing to help. You will love this forum.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

A very nice introduction. Welcome, aboard @NeophyteNumismatist

There is much to learn here from the folks on the forum as you will find many very helpful.

Enjoy the hobby.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options

Thanks again, everyone. Hope you all got lots of candy.

• Options

@NeophyteNumismatist said:

Grandson is out with the family getting his and some for grandpa 😁

• Options

I’ll post these and we’re coin related 😁

• Options
    OmegaraptorOmegaraptor Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome. I love early large cents. Want a Draped Bust 1/2c but haven't found one I like yet. Want a Liberty Cap 1/2c but haven't found an acceptable one I can afford yet.

"You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NeophyteNumismatist , welcome!

Patience is great. Don’t be too quick to fill holes. Look at lots of coins before buying. Avoid buying “problem” coins. Don’t convince yourself that “other than xxx, the coin is real nice”. That’s like when Mrs. Lincoln was asked, “Other than the assassination, how was the play.” Regardless of grade, only buy problem-free coins that have nice eye appeal to YOU that are solid for the grade. What one considers nice eye appeal varies a LOT among collectors, and that’s OK. Have fun!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the club. Just try to stay out of jail and you will be fine. :D

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@Jzyskowski1 - Thanks for bringing it back to the numismatic. That said, the melt is those coins is.... delicious.

@Omegaraptor - I love early Large Cents, too. I actually love large cents as much as (maybe more than) half cents. However, half cents are a little more affordable for my budget. Draped bust half cents are a little tricky, because you have a lot of straight graded (even up to AU) coins that have obvious problems like some porosity. And you are right, the LibCaps do get pretty pricey.

@winesteven - Thanks for your advice. I can honestly say that I am having lots of fun (more than I ever thought I would collecting coins). Being patient can be tricky, but I have gotten much better at that. The rule I made for myself is to only buy the coin once (no upgrades), so that has helped me, too. By there way, your Type Set is an absolute stunner.

@BLUEJAYWAY - I will try to stay out of jail, and I will keep a small file in my sock. Thanks for the tip.

• Options
    alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NeophyteNumismatist - Thanks for your kind words regarding my Dansco 7070.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum, but damn, another large cent collector to compete with for some of the ones I may still need/want? Oh well, that keeps things interesting! :)

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forums. :)

• Options

@jedm said:
    Welcome to the forum, but damn, another large cent collector to compete with for some of the ones I may still need/want? Oh well, that keeps things interesting! :)

I am much more of a half cent collector, than large cents. I just can't afford as many large cents in the condition I want. And... I have all of the large cents needed for my 7070, so you are pretty safe. There are some that I still want, but I can't dilute my half cent budget. While half cents are more affordable, the project is costing more than I originally budgeted. So, if you kindly stay away from the half cents, I will return the favor on large cents... deal? :p

• Options
    justindanjustindan Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome. I have learned so much from everyone here!

• Options
    OmegaraptorOmegaraptor Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jedm said:

I am much more of a half cent collector, than large cents. I just can't afford as many large cents in the condition I want. And... I have all of the large cents needed for my 7070, so you are pretty safe. There are some that I still want, but I can't dilute my half cent budget. While half cents are more affordable, the project is costing more than I originally budgeted. So, if you kindly stay away from the half cents, I will return the favor on large cents... deal? :p

I do agree that half cents offer very nice value for the money. Do you have any Colonial coppers?

"You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

• Options

@Omegaraptor said:
    I do agree that half cents offer very nice value for the money. Do you have any Colonial coppers?

No sir, I don't have any at all. I would love to eventually get one. I guess I would start with the Massachusetts Half Cent. But, I think they are all very cool!

There are just so many awesome coins that I love, and not enough funds to buy them. That said, I will have to put colonials on my roadmap. I like them too much to not own (at least) one.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum.
    By the likes left on your thread, you will fit in nicely here.
    Don’t be a stranger.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to offer a late welcome as well!

I am enjoying seeing and participating in your half cent attribution post; as I know you have surmised by now I bring examples to show from the "Dark Side" B) ...

• Options

@burfle23 - and I am loving the work. Thanks for all of it! I am a beginner, so all the practice I can get makes me better! :)

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you’re here. Most of us should admit we have much to learn in this deep hobby and I include myself in the “most”. It’s great you’re focusing on a series where your knowledge & research will reward you.

Welcome!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options

Thanks @Catbert for the kind words. Glad to be here. I am having lots of fun, and learning a lot. Also, thanks for contributing to my half cent thread. I appreciate it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file