Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thoughts On This Lincoln?

Coin_nut1977Coin_nut1977 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most Lamintion? Or alot of PMD? Thoughts on this please!

Comments

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

PMD

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

PMD all the way. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:

All the way? Wow! Well thanks for the thoughts, but I gotta tell ya I think your a little wrong :smile: just my opinion. Might wanna check closer

• Options

@Coin_nut1977 said:

@ricko said:

All the way? Wow! Well thanks for the thoughts, but I gotta tell ya I think your a little wrong :smile: just my opinion. Might wanna check closer. Not saying it in a rude way what so ever. But maybe it is! I see many signs of lamination.

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2022 7:12AM

I'd have to dissent from what others have said so far; not all PMD! The 6th and 7th photos look to me to likely be retained laminations... or strike throughs... one can see the irregular outlines of the lamination between Lincoln's head and GOD. Also appears to be a lamination next to Lincoln's shoulder under LIBERTY.

That makes me think there can be more going on with the more major depressions... while at first glance they look like PMD, given the other mentioned, I'd say an in hand inspection would better reveal any displaced metal that would be a sign of PMD. Also... what does the reverse look like? Completely normal, or does it show some damage that may be the result of obverse damage Post Mint?

Bottom line... certainly worth a closer inspection.

----- kj
  • Options

@tincup said:
    I'd have to dissent from what others have said so far; not all PMD! The 6th and 7th photos look to me to likely be retained laminations... or strike throughs... one can see the irregular outlines of the lamination between Lincoln's head and GOD. Also appears to be a lamination next to Lincoln's shoulder under LIBERTY.

That makes me think there can be more going on with the more major depressions... while at first glance they look like PMD, given the other mentioned, I'd say an in hand inspection would better reveal any displaced metal that would be a sign of PMD. Also... what does the reverse look like? Completely normal, or does it show some damage that may be the result of obverse damage Post Mint?

Bottom line... certainly worth a closer inspection.

Thanks! Ya there is some PMD. This has been cross posted to get clarification. Another forum confirmed Lamination.

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2022 7:59AM

There are a few nicks and bumps (for example below the E in LIBERTY), but the larger areas are clearly real errors. Which error can be a matter of semantics -- I'd lean towards strike through rather than lamination but I wouldn't argue with either.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lamination ;)

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lamination error on a well circulated coin.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like some of each

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coin_nut1977 said:

@ricko said:

All the way? Wow! Well thanks for the thoughts, but I gotta tell ya I think your a little wrong :smile: just my opinion. Might wanna check closer

Kinda looks like a lot of "struck through" stuff and a little lamination to boot.

There are faint lines in the square damage on the obverse.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file