Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

DAVID LANGE'S CANCER STRUGGLE, (Passed away January 16, 2023)

KOYNGUYKOYNGUY Posts: 103 ✭✭✭
edited January 26, 2023 7:43PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Sad news to pass on,
This message was taken from an Email on the ANA advisory board. A friend and Numismatic colleague,
David accepted the NGC position I had been offered in 1994. He did a great job with it and was always
available with an opinion. I got a glimpse into his life in 96 when I stayed with him during the Auction of the
Eliasberg collection. The face of NGC at many a coin convention. J.P. Martin
"My communication ability is limited by illness for now, My breast cancer has progressed to where it's affecting my brain. I'm unlikely to respond to most message, so please let my friends know that I'm otherwise viable and will be around for awhile. Share with anyone outside the company for now."
Dave,
David W. Lange
POB 110022
Lakewood Ranch, FL 34211
coincollectingboards.com

Comments

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 17, 2023 9:27AM

that is rough to hear.

best wishes to a fellow numismatist!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bless him, only met him once at the Baltimore convention, and he was a gentleman.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad news, indeed!

Tom

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never met him but from his posts he seems like a real gentleman. He is very knowledgeable and friendly. My sincerest prayers and well wishes are being sent his way.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

:/
    o:)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    MrScienceMrScience Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

Prayers up for Mr. Lange. I've enjoyed his books and was please that I once sold a Peace dollar VAM to David, who has written at least one book on them.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very sad, a tough battle indeed. RickO

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree that is sad news to hear.
    I’ve met him several times and always enjoyed talking with him. His buffalo nickel reference book was a big help to me back when I was collecting these.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

I'm sad to hear this, and he will be in my prayers. A nice guy, and one of the hobby's luminaries.

www.sullivannumismatics.com Dealer in Mint Error Coins.
  • Options
    edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thoughts and prayers for David. Took his type collecting class at Summer Seminar and enjoyed it very much. Good teacher and nice man.

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 22, 2022 8:02AM

Indeed, sad news for sure. My prayers are with him and the family as he battles. May The LORD provide him strength, courage and peace.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

This is very sad news to hear, my thoughts and prayers are with David. I have always enjoyed everything he has written and consider him an authority in numismatics. I very much enjoyed his section in the Numismatist.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very, very sad to hear this. Prayers, David.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

My interactions with DL have always been wonderful and he is about as nice as anyone can be. Hope he makes it through this.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

Prayers for David. This is sad news. David is a great guy and a super numismatist.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

Terrible news and very brave to allow his personal struggles to be known. My thoughts are with David and his family.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never met him in person, but he's always been kind and helpful in our few emails.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TPRC said:
    Sad news, indeed!

For sure! What a surprise.

All I can do is wish him the best.

He's a great guy!

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m sorry to hear this. :(

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad to read this. Great numismatist... friendly... helpful and very knowledgeable. I wish him the best

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 22, 2022 2:22PM

Hope your hospice is peaceful and the pain minimal, wishing you the best. Pancreatic cancer in 2011, please pm if you would like to talk.

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭

Prayers for sure......

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for posting this and it is very sad to read. I have "known" (acquaintances) David for many years and I wish him well.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

That sucks. I've met him several times. All class.

Hoping for the best case scenario for him, whatever that may be.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 22, 2022 10:07PM

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2022 12:03PM

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dave has been a stalwart at coin shows and helping people on the NGC forums for years; I wish him the best.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW, this is terrible news. He has always responded to my messages over the years and even just a few months ago. Wishing him and his family only the best.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    Stingray63Stingray63 Posts: 299 ✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2022 7:35AM

So sorry to hear this sad news. I know cancer is different for all in many ways first hand. Had friends that fought and beat it and friends that lost their battle. This past June I lost my father to cancer. His fight was an uphill battle the whole way and he fought it the whole way. We went to all the local monthly coin shows together, talked coins often and fished often. Miss him. Will keep David in mind and wish him the best as well as all others dealing with cancer in any form. FIGHT!

Pocket Change Inspector

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is very sad news. I have seen his columns in the numismatic press for many years. He has always been a credit to the hobby.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

Prayers to him and his family. He is very prominent on the NGC side. Great knowledge. I have a few of his books courtesy of the old days of NGC trivia contests.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Shamika said:
    i just got off the phone with Dave. As he said, news of his demise have been greatly exaggerated although his health is still a major concern. He said he has closed his eBay store and is discontinuing much/all of his writing (including email) until his health improves.

I'm certainly praying for him.

Thank you for posting that.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

My prayers will be with him daily.
    Got most of his books and he has made such a great contribution to numismatics.
    Especially am enjoying his book on Whitman folders and albums
    buffnixx

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,698 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad news. I wish him a good recovery.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad news, indeed. David is a class act - thanks for sharing the news so that we can be pulling for him. :+1:

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sorry to hear this.
    Sending prayers his way !

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not much I can add. David was always interesting to chat with. Praying as are others.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

David,
    My Prayers go up for you!
    Always enjoyed our long association over U.S. philippine Coins That we both have so enjoyed.
    Miss seeing you at the Long Beach Shows . Appreciate you always quickly answering questions I have had
    Concerning Varieties , etc. Your a special Guy. Hang in there Bro!

• Options
    OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best wishes to him. Have several of his books, met him at the 2005 FUN show and more recently sold him some vintage Whitman folders. A real giant in the hobby.

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm deeply saddened to report I've been told by a friend at NGC that David passed away last night. My condolences go out to his friends, family and loved ones. 

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2023 4:44PM

Rest in peace David. Condolences to his friends and family.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,698 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad news. Condolences to friends, family, and colleagues.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP Dave. 🥲 : (

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't know him well but he was a fine human being. Numismatics has lost one of its best.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file