Home U.S. Coin Forum

U.S. Mint Limited Edition Silver Proof Set 2022

Hey guys, what do you think about the "Limited Edition Silver Proof Set 2022"? As the mintage is 50,000? Do you think it will be sold out in minutes or not?

Comments

• djmdjm Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why would it be, sloppy seconds with an Order Limit of 1?

• 124Spider124Spider Posts: 906 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find the product attractive, but I find the process terminally annoying. I like proof sets, and I like silver proof coins. But it annoys me that I'm not assured of getting this, so I subscribe to the "normal" silver proof set (which itself duplicates several of the coins from the "normal" proof sets). Now, if I go after--and get--one of these, it's largely duplicative.

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

These will be available for hours if not days assuring your ease of acquiring one and the next day when they lift the house hold limits you should be able to buy em by the case.
    Enjoy and collect what makes you happy 😁

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• erscoloerscolo Posts: 574 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is not an issue I collect as the coins are already in the 2022 Silver Proof Set and 2022 ASE San Francisco proof, all of which I have.

• @TurtleCat said:
    The mintage isn’t 50K. All of the coins are available in other packages. It’s the special packaging that’s limited to 50K and you pay a nice premium for it. I bought a few when silver was lower for fun but I’m done with buying any more.

Thanks for clarifying this........

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will not be ordering this set.... Mainly for the reasons stated above. I see no potential for significant value in the coins. Cheers, RickO

• Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭✭

Also, very expensive. Unless you really like the presentation/special packaging of this set, why not buy the regular proof set ($105) plus the S mint ASE ($73)? Bonus coins: the proof nickel, cent and Sacagawea $.

• NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 14, 2022 1:04PM

Because people are willing to pay premiums for labels and pedigrees, and this IS a limited edition item. 50,000 as compared to several hundred thousand for both the proof ASE (which is now sold out and not available for $73) and the regular proof set.

The "proof" (pun intended) will be when these sell out, if not on Day One, then certainly soon after the order limit is lifted. They sell out every year.

This isn't for people who don't care about such things, but, when compared to the premium on everything the mint sells, a $23 premium, plus the loss of a proof cent, nickel and Sacagawea, is actually pretty modest for a limited edition in a fancy package. Which is why they sell out, and why graded coins with the attribution sell for a premium.

Anyone who has ever paid to cross a coin over from NGC to PGCS certainly understands the concept of a package adding to the value of the same exact coin! :)

• DoubleDimeDoubleDime Posts: 632 ✭✭✭

I bought a set in 2016 just for type, just wanted one set. I have other different proof sets also just for type. Not long ago I finally got a Legacy Proof set from a local dealer. I think he had 6, first time I ever seen one of these sets.

• @NJCoin said:
    Because people are willing to pay premiums for labels and pedigrees, and this IS a limited edition item. 50,000 as compared to several hundred thousand for both the proof ASE (which is now sold out and not available for $73) and the regular proof set.

The "proof" (pun intended) will be when these sell out, if not on Day One, then certainly soon after the order limit is lifted. They sell out every year.

This isn't for people who don't care about such things, but, when compared to the premium on everything the mint sells, a $23 premium, plus the loss of a proof cent, nickel and Sacagawea, is actually pretty modest for a limited edition in a fancy package. Which is why they sell out, and why graded coins with the attribution sell for a premium.

Anyone who has ever paid to cross a coin over from NGC to PGCS certainly understands the concept of a package adding to the value of the same exact coin! :)

I guess I will end ordering one set......

• MetroDMetroD Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SilverPlatinum

You probably already know this, but just in case ...

As previously highlighted by others in this thread, the coins included in this set have already been released in different packaging earlier in the year. For example, the five Proof-S Silver Quarters were released as set 22WS on MAR-29, and as part of set 22RH on JUN-23.

IF you want to have your set attributed by PCGS as being from the "Limited Edition Silver Proof Set", you would have to submit an unopened shipping box from the Mint for 'grading/attribution'. This is the case as once the Mint shipping box is opened, there is no way for PCGS to confirm whether the coins are from the 'LESPS', or an earlier release.

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MetroD said:

you would have to submit an unopened shipping box from the Mint

Always risky to send in sight unseen...but tis the only way to get that attribution!

• @MetroD said:
    @SilverPlatinum

You probably already know this, but just in case ...

As previously highlighted by others in this thread, the coins included in this set have already been released in different packaging earlier in the year. For example, the five Proof-S Silver Quarters were released as set 22WS on MAR-29, and as part of set 22RH on JUN-23.

IF you want to have your set attributed by PCGS as being from the "Limited Edition Silver Proof Set", you would have to submit an unopened shipping box from the Mint for 'grading/attribution'. This is the case as once the Mint shipping box is opened, there is no way for PCGS to confirm whether the coins are from the 'LESPS', or an earlier release.

Thanks for the advice.

• Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will order one. I have one of each previous year, so the run will continue!

Available tomorrow 10/26. Lets see how long it takes to sell out.

• erscoloerscolo Posts: 574 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll go with popcorn, as I already have all of those coins. Only the reverse proof set of the innovation dollars remains for me for 2022.

edited October 25, 2022 1:18PM

@Glen2022 said:
    Available tomorrow 10/26. Lets see how long it takes to sell out.

Oh boy. A contest. I’ll go with never or until they shut it down.
    No seriously, I’ll go with Jan 1 2023😁
    Edit to add 🧐
    Well now. This year’s is $34 cheaper than 2021. Perhaps I underestimate and these sell out in a week.
    Here’s a look 👀

Kinda throws a wrench into the “ the mint sources blanks “ blah blah blah, cause this looks like a spot price issue. The friggin mint absolutely exasperates me with what passes for logic 🙃

• stawickstawick Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭

I think the '21 had 1 extra $, but 3 fewer quarters.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,878 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2022 1:50PM

You will probably make money if you buy it. Those who bought this thing in the past have.

As a collectors' item it is nothing but a re-hash of the material that has already been issued in a different holder. I bought one years ago and sold it. It won't be buying one again.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

I started another thread about this without mention of what.
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1082818/remind-me-next-year

It's a high premium to pay, but an unopened box to our host for" first strike"and such, could be very profitable, to a few. I'm a proponent of collecting coins and silver.... just not like this, or that.

• JeffMJeffM Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭

The kicker on this set is that the CoA is signed in crayon by the kid who colored the Purple Heart colorized coins!! That alone makes it worth the price!

As of the time of this post (pre-release):

edited October 26, 2022 8:06AM

@MetroD said:

So 2,012 went pre-sale to the dealers (so far)?

edited October 26, 2022 8:36AM

@JeffM said:

@MetroD said:

So 2,012 went pre-sale to the dealers (so far)?

With help from posters here, I recently figured out how to find the "data-available" number. So, I do not have a great deal of 'experience/history' with it.

That said, this set is included in the ABPP. Reference
    As such, I am assuming that "data-available" reflects 'early release' sales.

Edited for clarity.

• GiveMeProofGiveMeProof Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭

yeah, I'm in for 1.

Well that was quick, 1 minute.

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GiveMeProof said:
    yeah, I'm in for 1.

That's all you're allowed anyway.... HHL 1

Less than 40K remaining!!!!

@Onastone said:

@GiveMeProof said:
    yeah, I'm in for 1.

That's all you're allowed anyway.... HHL 1

That's all I wanted anyway, and it was smooth sailing.

Less than 35K remaining. Better grab these while you can.

edited October 26, 2022 9:45AM

Here’s the silver weight from 21 and 22
    $34 difference and just a little more silver. Interesting 🤨 .4

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,127 ✭✭✭✭✭

As of right now, 28,824 sets remaining.

• jt88jt88 Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just bought one set.

• @JeffM said:
    The kicker on this set is that the CoA is signed in crayon by the kid who colored the Purple Heart colorized coins!! That alone makes it worth the price!

where do you see that?

@SilverPlatinum said:

@JeffM said:

where do you see that?

Ventris called me up and told me. Maybe it's just for the set I purchased. Either that, or I was dreaming. ;)

• coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭✭✭

not going to buy one, already blew 2 grand on the peace ,Morgan enrollment

• Not buying this set too.....
    I think I better save some money for the Morgan set release next year.......

26,308 sets remaining now......slow, but steady trickle at this juncture.

edited October 26, 2022 9:55PM

I decided that I was willing to pay the $201, but I was not willing to go to any trouble to do it ("trouble" as in the clusterfbsk with their feckless server I went through to get the Morgan and Peace dollars last year).

So I waited for the evening to come, and there still are some. So I bought one.

I'm happy. :)

@124Spider said:
    I decided that I was willing to pay the $201, but I was not willing to go to any trouble to do it ("trouble" as in the clusterfbsk with their feckless server I went through to get the Morgan and Peace dollars last year).

So I waited for the evening to come, and there still are some. So I bought one.

I'm happy. :)

There was also no problem the minute it went on sale. Smooth transaction.

23,952 remaining at this point.

Will be interesting to see what happens to sales once the HHL is lifted.

• Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

two minutes before the HHL was removed: data-available="23755.0"
    two minutes after the HHL was removed: data-available="23549.0"
    five minutes after the HHL was removed: data-available="23381.0"
    Ten minutes after the HHL was removed: data-available="23230.0"

I would say that these are not exactly flying off the shelf.

@Batman23 said:

IMO, this is an indication of a very good job by the Mint in managing price and supply. The Morgan and Peace dollars last year was the opposite--either they should have made more, or charged more; as it was, they were making money for the dealer, not themselves. I fully expect that these will sell out eventually, but they're not making money for the dealers (and we customers don't have the frustration of a server constantly crashing).

Ebay listings, BIN $269-$300 OBO. Only a few listings.

edited October 27, 2022 10:15AM

Looks like changing the HHL to none, had very little effect on sales.

Currently.....22,624 remaining sets.

Order shipped!

@124Spider said:

@Batman23 said:

IMO, this is an indication of a very good job by the Mint in managing price and supply. The Morgan and Peace dollars last year was the opposite--either they should have made more, or charged more; as it was, they were making money for the dealer, not themselves. I fully expect that these will sell out eventually, but they're not making money for the dealers (and we customers don't have the frustration of a server constantly crashing).

Yes, the Mint has vastly improved since all the fiascos last year and before.

Sales after the lifting of the HHL still going slowly. Assuming this keeps up, I do not see a sellout here.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file