Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Mundane Coin Monday . . . . . .

ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 26, 2022 11:15AM in U.S. Coin Forum

We seem to have threads for every other day of the week except Monday's. I thought I would start one for Mondays.

Mundane Coin Monday

Post up the coin, medal, or token that you bought, but for one reason or another, wished you really hadn't . . . . .

I'll start.

Z

Poor seller photos, thought it might be an interesting Gasparro piece, or at least silver . . . . .

It was neither, just an unmarked copy I believe.

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

Comments

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Isn’t that an authentic sba pattern dollar? I’ve never seen that coin copied before. Maybe someone else could chime in on authenticity. Nice find if it’s real.

• Options

@1madman said:
    Isn’t that an authentic sba pattern dollar? I’ve never seen that coin copied before. Maybe someone else could chime in on authenticity. Nice find if it’s real.

I was hoping for something like that. It weighs in at 6.8g, measures 25.6mm, and for all intents and purposes, feels like aluminum.

The rims are thinner than I've seen. The scratches seen are actually die polish lines as they are raised. It would be nice to discover this piece is more than dreck . . . . .

Z

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

i like the reverse of that :)

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wiki has a little bit of information on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_B._Anthony_dollar#CITEREFGanz,_1976

Wiki Reference:
    Ganz, David L. (October 1976). "Our New Small-Size Dollar Coins". COINage. Encino, California: Behn-Miller Publishers. 12 (10): 54–58, 114–115.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your gut reaction appears correct. That looks like a modern copy.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting... I much prefer that design design over the SBA. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bought this abomination many years ago when I was cutting my teeth. It was an eBay purchase and I think I ended up selling it on eBay for basically melt value not too long after I got it.

• Options

Late start, but a typical Monday where "the man" has kept me off the interwebz all day.

Here is today's installment. I thought they were cool, but they've cooled off in my mind.

Z

Canadian Radio Station CFOS 50th Anniversary tokens . . . . . . .

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1873 with arrows dime is not mundane for most collectors, but it is for me. The 1873-4 type coins are among the least interesting coins in the type set in my opinion. They noted a tiny increase in the weight of the coins so that they would be at an even Metric System number. It had to do with the international compatibility of the coinage, which never happened. The coins are expensive and for me boring.

I like the quarter and half dollar I have for the types, but the dime, not so much. By this time I was filling the hole. It's a Proof-63, but its got hairlines, as would be expected for the grade.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones said:
    The 1873 with arrows dime is not mundane for most collectors, but it is for me. The 1873-4 type coins are among the least interesting coins in the type set in my opinion. They noted a tiny increase in the weight of the coins so that they would be at an even Metric System number. It had to do with the international compatibility of the coinage, which never happened. The coins are expensive and for me boring.

I like the quarter and half dollar I have for the types, but the dime, not so much. By this time I was filling the hole. It's a Proof-63, but its got hairlines, as would be expected for the grade.

If that were in my collection, it would probably rank "least mundane" . . . .

Nice disme . . . . .

Z

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file