Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

If Aaron Judge breaks Roger Maris' 61 homer record will he become the new "CLEAN" Legit HR King?

ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

If Aaron Judge breaks Roger Maris' 61 homer record will he become the new "CLEAN" Legit HR King?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    CardGeekCardGeek Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
    No... He will be behind Bonds, Mcgwire and Sosa ~~~and Bonds will still be King!

Isn't the evidence against Bonds that they found papers with his name on them?

Aren't most, some huge percentage of, sports autographs fake? Such a big problem that reputable authentication companies won't authenticate signatures they didn't witness themselves.

• Options
    edited August 31, 2022 10:41AM
    Yes... he will be the man~ and new HR King!

I think it's widely accepted that all three of the HR kings in the early 2000's were on enhancers ... here is a photo of a bloated Bonds having easily gained 60 plus pounds on the juice.....and I am still a big fan of all 3 Bonds, Mcgwire and Sosa ...... Judge will be the Clean King in my book at least..... IF HE BREAKS MARIS' record of 61 in 1961.... 61 years ago.

• Options

@cardgeek .... I'll share this with you, brother..... I wish none of these guys did it back then .... it broke my 28 year old heart in '98.

https://www.ocala.com/story/news/2006/03/08/new-book-chronicles-steroid-use-by-bonds/31152176007/

• Options
    No... He will be behind Bonds, Mcgwire and Sosa ~~~and Bonds will still be King!

I understand it's good for the hobby and all. I don't believe that guy is hitting the number of homers he's hitting without cheats.

• Options

I've heard people say that Bonds bought HRs. Turns out all of MLB does that though. So, they gotta go after him for something else.

• Options

Easy. Until someone passed Bonds. Then no.

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2022 12:59PM

@jeffcbay said:
    Who says Maris was clean back then? Who says Judge is clean now? Nobody knows.

Maris was at least as clean as Ruth.

BTW one of the main benefits of steroids is recovery time from day to day and healing. If someone in MLB was to play in let's say 2,632 consecutive games from 1982-1998 , nobody knows if that was done anywhere near clean. Who says a person who reaches that type of impossible super-human endurance record was clean during that long 16 year multi-deacde span?

See how that works homie!

Those who b livin' in them glass houses shouldn't b castin' stones.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CardGeek said:

Aren't most, some huge percentage of, sports autographs fake? Such a big problem that reputable authentication companies won't authenticate signatures they didn't witness themselves.

Three different times Bonds' samples were re tested using improved tests and he failed three times.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@82FootballWaxMemorys said:

@jeffcbay said:

BTW one of the main benefits of steroids is recovery time from day to day and healing. If someone in MLB was to play in let's say 2,632 consecutive games from 1982-1998 , nobody knows if that was done anywhere near clean. Who says a person who reaches that type of impossible super-human endurance record was clean during that long 16 year multi-deacde span?

We cannot continue to impeach people without at least circumstantial evidence.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2022 3:53PM

comment deleted for fear hit man will show up

No, I don't mean Aaron Judge.

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@CardGeek said:

Three different times Bonds' samples were re tested using improved tests and he failed three times.

I have read a lot of different stuff about Bonds. At this point I'd really like a definitive account of the situation. If you read the internet the information is all over the place and no two story tellers seem to me to be telling the same story. I don't think it's possible to get the whole, true, story. So many people want to twist it.

Even if the guy did fail 1 test 3 times. It's really hard for me to believe that everything that guy accomplished is due to performance enhancing drugs. It's a lot easier for me to believe that a lot of guys were just throwing him home runs. Just like everybody else hitting tons of home runs in MLB.

It's pretty interesting that Paul Goldschmidt is close to triple crown numbers in his league with only 33 home runs. 2 back from the league leader. While Judge is at 51 or something.

• Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

No one ever brings up expansion which diluted the pitching around the entire league in 1998. The same thing happened in 1961 with expansion, once again the pitching was diluted with more teams. Maris hits 61.

Bonds and Aaron have very similar HR stats from age 35-40. Take out the 73 and say 45 pretty damn close if you ask me.
    Aaron, 44,38,47,34,40,20 = 223
    Bonds 49,73,46,45,45,5 = 263

But yet people question why Bonds could hit so many home runs later in career, how about "Hammering Hank"

Hank had some weight problems as well in his late 30's & 40's

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2022 5:17PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mys5RqtAy4&t=603s

ETA
    I've been pretty much undecided and/or neutral on the steroid Era controversy.
    Baseball Doesn't Exist recently uploaded an interesting video

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

Aaron Judge has 51 home runs. The Detroit Tigers have 76. I’m surprised they have that many. Maybe Barry can hook them up with some cream.

• Options

@CardGeek said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@CardGeek said:

I have read a lot of different stuff about Bonds. At this point I'd really like a definitive account of the situation. If you read the internet the information is all over the place and no two story tellers seem to me to be telling the same story. I don't think it's possible to get the whole, true, story. So many people want to twist it.

Even if the guy did fail 1 test 3 times. It's really hard for me to believe that everything that guy accomplished is due to performance enhancing drugs. It's a lot easier for me to believe that a lot of guys were just throwing him home runs. Just like everybody else hitting tons of home runs in MLB.

It's pretty interesting that Paul Goldschmidt is close to triple crown numbers in his league with only 33 home runs. 2 back from the league leader. While Judge is at 51 or something.

Bonds also admitted to using. The facts are what they are. I can't believe there's one person on the planet who thinks Bonds was clean.

By the way that was three different tests.

Oh well, he seems to be your guy, so nothing will change your mind.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

Bonds' head grew each year after age 35. That's simply ridiculous. Everyone was talking about this. It was so obvious.

• Options
    charlesf20charlesf20 Posts: 384 ✭✭✭

Sure hope that I casted the incorrect vote here

• Options

It was 3 different tests on the same sample. Right?

He did say he used. But he said he didn't know he was using. He probably said both those things to congress who was trying him for perjury. It's pretty hard to say what the truth is. People think he's lying regardless of what he says. Unless he says he did it intentionally.

He did get huge. No doubt.

I think I've heard it said that Bonds did what he did, steroids or not, in response to McGwire and Sosa. He wasn't trying to hit home runs so much before McGwire and Sosa. Maybe he could have broken the single season record either way. At least now there's something to argue about. Instead of him being 3rd on the all time list, or where ever he would have been otherwise. Maybe PEDs didn't change anything. Hard to say. What percentage of his home runs do you think he would have hit without drugs?

Pretty much everyone in baseball in the 80s and 90s used steroids prescribed by a doctor. I've been prescribed steroids.

I've heard guys on this board say that there are known steroid users in the hall.

I'm more worried that guys are throwing home runs intentionally.

Even if you watch Aaron's last home run. To me it looks like it was intentionally thrown. Were all of them intentionally thrown? Not likely. Still think Maris is fake.

I watched Pujols play all of last year. I did see him hit a few pinch hit home runs. Pujols is real slow. He's real big. Good thing he's hitting them out. He's hitting .275 this year. That's better than Ronald Acuna Jr. and only slightly worse than Mookie Betts. Why freakin retire?! Dude could play for the rest of his life hitting like that. Granted, 1/4th of the at bats. Pujols is hitting .387 v left handed pitchers. He's hitting a home run almost 10% of his at bats. To me it looks like guys are giving him a send off. Is that legit? He hit enough home runs in his career that guys can send him to 700, maybe. That's quite an accomplishment.

In football pretty much every play is important. I don't pay attention to football. Pre-covid I wasn't paying attention to sports at all. I like baseball. It's tough though. Pretty much everything about this hobby makes me angry.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

If record holders like Rickey Henderson and Nolan Ryan are in the HoF, then yes Bonds will still be King.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

No way to know Aaron Judge is clean. Not saying he isn't. But we cant play this game that we know who is clean or not. Some guys blow up. Some who test positive or are accused the before picture can look like the after picture. Bonds was trying to be more of a bodybuilder on a smaller scale than the real competitive guys. Remember reading his workout routine in Muscle & Fitness. Some guys might just want the little edge. Can help in the weight room but also just with the fast twitch. Its one thing to be strong. A lot of guys cant turn that into being a better hitter. Remember thinking Tatis's dad once looked too thick. Big arms that might hurt a fluid swing. I remember seeing Bonds and Manny and Ortiz and thinking you cant get the ball past them. PEDs might have contributed.

I think discussions like this are a popularity contest. Bonds was not well-liked. So his potential transgressions are so much worse than anyone else's. Not sure he ever tested positive. People so wanted him to. David Ortiz was found to be connected with PEDs. In a report. Was it he tested positive when the results did not mean a suspension? But its unbelievable how easily that was dismissed. Think his after pic has him larger. He was MVP caliber and in his prime at like age 39 which is extremely uncommon but makes sense if its PEDs. HOF first year on the ballot? Not much of a mention at all of his history with PEDs. Kind of dismissed as oh it could have been a false test. What is the difference between Ortiz and Bonds? Ortiz was loved. So sweep it under the rug.

Judge? Who knows? Contract year. Had trouble staying on the field at times. Would it surprise me if he is taking something? Not at all. But he has a lot of fans. Noone wants to hear that suggested. Guys we like no chance he is doing that. Guy we dont like completely guilty.

• Options
    Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2022 11:39AM

I stopped putting a virtual asterisk next to "steroid era" records years ago. MLB was slow to respond and I came to terms with those records that were set before testing and codified rules and suspensions.

Maris didn't deserve one and I don't think Bonds deserves one either. It was an era, just another change in the game or external factor that impacted offense. Dead ball, live ball, WWII, integration, expansion, more travel, smaller ballparks, night games, lower mound, the DH rule, altitude in Denver, day games at Wrigley, pitch counts, defensive shifts, 154 vs 162 games, better nutrition, better training, expanded playoffs, pitch counts, relief pitching rules...and on and on and on it goes.

• Options

@Chicago1976 said:
    I stopped putting a virtual asterisk next to "steroid era" records years ago. MLB was slow to respond and I came to terms with those records that were set before testing and codified rules and suspensions.

Maris didn't deserve one and I don't think Bonds deserves one either. It was an era, just another change in the game or external factor that impacted offense. Dead ball, live ball, WWII, integration, expansion, more travel, smaller ballparks, night games, lower mound, the DH rule, altitude in Denver, day games at Wrigley, pitch counts, defensive shifts, 154 vs 162 games, better nutrition, better training, expanded playoffs, pitch counts, relief pitching rules...and on and on and on it goes.

I respectfully disagree. The above conditions every player had to deal with.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

@jeffcbay said:

This made me legit LOL!

• Options

@CardGeek said:
    It was 3 different tests on the same sample. Right?

>
    Look it up yourself. you still won't believe it though.

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭

@CardGeek said:
    Bonds was a professional athlete.

Well he sure didn't ACT like one!

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

100 bucks says those supporting Bonds here have multiple Bonds rookie cards. That is the only way anyone could be so oblivious to his roid use :)

• Options

@Ridethelightning said:

100 bucks says those supporting Bonds here have multiple Bonds rookie cards. That is the only way anyone could be so oblivious to his roid use :)

I voted that Judge would be the new HR King but I can still route for the PED guys and their cards. I have many more of their cards than Judge. >:)

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

i voted yes but i also believe after enough time passes everything will be legal. once baseball is completely obsolete they will stop testing players.

• Options

• Options
    picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

If Bonds never makes the HOF I'll be just fine with that !
    F him... yep, don't like him.

• Options

• Options
    edited September 3, 2022 7:23AM

What I'll never understand is why when Roger was going for 61, many insisted that unless he did it in the first 154 games it wouldn't be "for real"...yet I don't recall any other single season record that was questioned in that way. Like, I don't recall a player having a chance to break any other single season record and folks insisting it's not "for real" if it's not done in the first 154 games.

Even Hank Aaron wasn't exactly immune to this line of questioning, as he had almost 4000 more at-bats than Babe Ruth and never hit more than 45 taters in a season....so there were those who claimed at the time (not counting the racist/hate letter ones; that's a whole 'nother matter) he wasn't REALLY on the same level as The Bambino.

As for the original question, that depends...does Aaron Judge wash his hands before eating and after going #1 or #2? And most important of all, does he wash behind his ears? :blush:

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

I don’t think falling short of the record will ever be considered the new record. Judge is a good HR hitter though and May one day give the record a run but probably like Gwynn did with chasing Williams last .400 season.

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 3, 2022 12:00PM

@Cakes said:

@jeffcbay said:

We cannot continue to impeach people without at least circumstantial evidence.

Pictures of strong athletes mean nothing. Yes Bonds used but there is a lot of evidence - to speculate without evidence is unfair. Athletes are paid to keep making themselves better at their job - as most of us are.

• Options

@brad31 said:
    Pictures of strong athletes mean nothing. Yes Bonds used but there is a lot of evidence - to speculate without evidence is unfair. Athletes are paid to keep making themselves better at their job - as most of us are.

Well his personality and role model worthiness never got better! And frankly, I don't see how the man can live with himself now...

WISHLIST
  • Options

I don't understand what Bond's personality has to do with anything. He's one of the greatest baseball players of all time, I'm sure he lives with himself just fine.

• Options
    IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

I'm rooting for Aaron Judge; I hope he breaks Roger's record, 'cause he's doing it clean and without taking cheating drugs.

Barry Bonds and Sammy Sosa need to admit, as Mark McGwire finally did, that they took PED steroids. The powers that be were sure able to test Olympian "BIG BEN" Johnson after he blew away the 100 meters field in 1988, and strip him of his gold medal, but MLB was feeble and powerless to make Mark McGwire, Barry Bonds and Sammy Sosa be accurately tested. I wonder why? -- Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)

• Options
    IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

Also, thanks brad31 for posting the famous photo of Bobby Hull pitching hay on his cattle ranch in Canada back in 1966, not long after he broke the NHL record for goals scored in one season. I believe that photo first appeared in the major US magazine, NEWSWEEK. Anyone remotely interested in ice hockey, and a whole lot of other people, saw the picture and collectively crashed their chins and dropped their mouths in wonder and awe at how strong Bobby Hull was. The typically large hockey sweater covers up the arsenal, so to speak!

When I saw the pix for the first time, I was at my orthodontist's office for an appointment. I guess you can say it left a lasting impression on this Chicago suburban 11-year old Black Hawk fan. Anyways, thanks again, brad31. -- Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)

• Options

In McGwire's interview with Bob Costas McGwire says he only took steroids to heal from injury. He does say he tried them for a couple weeks when he was young though. I believe before MLB made PEDs illegal. McGwire says he worked hard and learned to hit.

The video that is posted above in this thread is pretty interesting. It talks about the current state of steroids in MLB and the NBA. It says they're doing next to no testing. It also says that modern steroids metabolize so fast that users have to be tested very soon after taking them for them to be detected. And that in the NBA the testing is timed so even if somebody is using, the drugs will likely be out of the users body before the test.

• Options

@IndianaJones said:
    Also, thanks brad31 for posting the famous photo of Bobby Hull pitching hay on his cattle ranch in Canada back in 1966, not long after he broke the NHL record for goals scored in one season. I believe that photo first appeared in the major US magazine, NEWSWEEK. Anyone remotely interested in ice hockey, and a whole lot of other people, saw the picture and collectively crashed their chins and dropped their mouths in wonder and awe at how strong Bobby Hull was. The typically large hockey sweater covers up the arsenal, so to speak!

When I saw the pix for the first time, I was at my orthodontist's office for an appointment. I guess you can say it left a lasting impression on this Chicago suburban 11-year old Black Hawk fan. Anyways, thanks again, brad31. -- Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)

First time I saw it was a signed one at a card show in the 80swhen I was 12 - had the same reaction! Go Hawks!

• Options
    edited September 3, 2022 4:12PM

@Estil said:

@brad31 said:

Well his personality and role model worthiness never got better! And frankly, I don't see how the man can live with himself now...

To be clear - was not saying Bonds could be clean - but was talking about when people speculate (saw some names mentioned in the thread that have never been linked to steroid use with any evidence).

• Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

Babe Ruth record was criticized for not playing against "black players".
    Roger Maris breaking the record was ripped for not breaking the record in 154 games.
    McGwire/Bonds were cheats.
    Aaron Judge is next

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 4, 2022 10:17PM

@jeffcbay said:
    Another stat of note... in 2001 Bonds was walked 177 times, which was almost 50 walks more than the next guy. This season Judge has only been walked 79 times so far. They weren't pitching to Bonds and he still jacked 73 long balls.

No doubt Bonds' most impressive stat is his IBB. Consider that his last five full seasons, 2002-'04 and 2006-'07 (mostly after his 37th birthday) he was intentionally walked more than anyone else in history, and Pujols really doesn't have much of a chance of getting the twelve more he needs to tie those five years!