Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

CAC announces indefinite suspension of regular service starting 9/1

DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

They've announced suspensions seemingly every other month since Spring, but this is the first indefinite one I can remember.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

Comments

• Options

@spyglassdesign said:
    I've seen others mention they should implement a minimum fee... Do they not charge if it doesn't sticker? If so, it could really cut down on people submitting anything and everything due to minimal risk other than shipping...

There's two types of accounts. Dealer accounts and collector accounts. It's an honor system, essentially, and I know many of the younger dealer types abuse this. Plenty of older collectors accounts just grew into dealers over time too.

Dealer accounts pay the fee regardless of sticker status. Collector accounts only pay if it stickers.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭

So, how much is the "regular fee" that is being suspended and how much is the higher fee?

• Options
    edited September 1, 2022 4:38PM

@coinhack said:
    So, how much is the "regular fee" that is being suspended and how much is the higher fee?

$16 and $30 $35 respectively.

• Options
    sweetwillietsweetwilliet Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭

I understand completely their trouble meeting demand. We are having trouble meeting demand in my field as well, medical. I don't see an end in sight, but hopefully there is one coming soon!

Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
    Will’sProoflikes
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe they just do not have time for stickers anymore with the new CAC grading service that is all the gossip.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

I imagine the top 4 auction sites and top 10 dealers generate the vast majority of their business.

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 505 ✭✭✭✭✭

R.I.P.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Recall they mentioned on 08-02 that "Much of their staff came down with Covid" just before the ANA--which itself likely caused a sizable disruption in their work.

I think rumors are unnecessary at this point. Though I do feel a minimum fee per coin regardless of passing would be a decent and understandable move.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

Every time I’m about to send some in, they suspend new submissions. When I realize they’re open again, oh hey were closed 😂

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Connecticoin said:
    While I think that, overall, CAC has been good for the hobby in ridding the scourge of doctored coins,

I think the major grading services already do a pretty good job of ridding the hobby of doctored coins.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,024 ✭✭✭

The GREEN BEAN is in BIGTIME DEMAND! :joy:

TC71

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting... but understandable. Look at the turnaround times at PCGS... Many threads here discussing the long service time. Makes sense that CAC is experiencing similar loads. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2022 6:07AM

@TorinoCobra71 said:
    The GREEN BEAN is in BIGTIME DEMAND! :joy:

TC71

I would be happy to accept a Gold Bean instead!

I managed to get an order submitted and batted 0.500

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,024 ✭✭✭

I just got back into the hobby and have NEVER owned a CAC certified coin.....I have been seeing OUTTA THIS WORLD prices for these "GOLD CAC" stickers on PCGS/NGC slabs....ESP. the OLDER HOLDERS! :open_mouth:

• Options

@TorinoCobra71 said:
    I just got back into the hobby and have NEVER owned a CAC certified coin.....I have been seeing OUTTA THIS WORLD prices for these "GOLD CAC" stickers on PCGS/NGC slabs....ESP. the OLDER HOLDERS! :open_mouth:

A few weeks ago, there was a coin on the BST that was in an AU58 slab with a gold bean. He was asking MS63 money for it. Pass. :D

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@TorinoCobra71 said:

A few weeks ago, there was a coin on the BST that was in an AU58 slab with a gold bean. He was asking MS63 money for it. Pass. :D

What was the amount and percentage over 58 money? Just saying the coin was being quoted at 63 money doesn't give a clear picture.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons said:
    I like how you'll hear a few of these same people tell you to buy the coin and not the holder, but that goes out the window once a CAC sticker is involved. Then you're a fool for buying the coin. Hmm.....

Just food for thought. 😉

Shhhh! I am trying to sell some of those beaned coins.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

@MFeld said:

@PerryHall said:

@TorinoCobra71 said:

What was the amount and percentage over 58 money? Just saying the coin was being quoted at 63 money doesn't give a clear picture.

It's been several weeks so I don't remember the specifics but I do remember that it was a common date coin. I found similar coins in the same slab type available for sale in MS63 at the same price that was being asked. The coins with a gold CAC bean apparently carry a huge premium. I'll let others pay for it.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been waiting almost two months to get a piece of Confederate paper money graded. I contacted the grader who told me I was a little over half way through the wait. :/

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

The $30 fee now will select out all but the most expensive and advantageous submissions. Are there refunds for non-stickers on $30 submissions?

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@MFeld said:

@PerryHall said:

@TorinoCobra71 said:

It's been several weeks so I don't remember the specifics but I do remember that it was a common date coin. I found similar coins in the same slab type available for sale in MS63 at the same price that was being asked. The coins with a gold CAC bean apparently carry a huge premium. I'll let others pay for it.

People used to say that an AU58 is a 65 with a rub. So, the gold bean says that there is no rub. Therefore...

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@PerryHall said:

@TorinoCobra71 said:

There are coins in an MS63 slab that are offered for MS63 money that I'd pass on. People get themselves too wrapped up in what the labels and price guides say, IMO.

• Options
    FrankHFrankH Posts: 785 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:

@DelawareDoons said:
    I like how you'll hear a few of these same people tell you to buy the coin and not the holder, but that goes out the window once a CAC sticker is involved. Then you're a fool for buying the coin. Hmm.....

Just food for thought. 😉

Shhhh! I am trying to sell some of those beaned coins.

That should be easy now. I'd be surprised if the announcement doesn't start a bean buying spree.

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said:

However, I think a big mental hurdle for many who appreciate CAC's services is that they believe a coin is unworthy of ownership if it doesn't pass JA's approval. So many nice coins that are great to own and appreciate despite the green sticker. I own a few that will remain in my collection.

Do you mean despite the lack of a green sticker? I totally agree by the way. I like CAC and happily buy stickered coins and especially like to use it as a sounding board where I have less than normal confidence (like an unfamiliar series or early copper).

But there are plenty of very nice coins available without stickers.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

UNPOPULAR OPINION:
    1- Coins with a value under 5K are $25.00
    2- Coins with a value of over 5K are $50.00
    3- There is no refund for coins that do not sticker.

This might eliminate coins like MS63 common Mercury dimes from being submitted in the hopes of a payday with a gold CAC.

After all of this settles out, CAC may also consider opening up submissions for other series it currently rejects.

peacockcoins

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are gold bean collectors out there, price/grade seemingly irrelevant.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s still not too late to make a CAC submission today. Packages have to be postmarked by September 1.

• Options

@skier07 said:
    It’s still not too late to make a CAC submission today. Packages have to be postmarked by September 1.

I'm sending one tomorrow morning. Timing this whole transition perfectly it seems.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons said:

@skier07 said:

I'm sending one tomorrow morning. Timing this whole transition perfectly it seems.

I sent a package yesterday.

• Options

@RedSeals said:
    The add some data to the collectors may be abusing the system with widgets with free fails arguement, here is a statement from the man himself:

That is fascinating data. It shows that the volume issues they're dealing with right now are almost certainly from dealers, especially given the context of his post.

• Options
    humanssuckhumanssuck Posts: 323 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have long thought they should raise prices to weed out (1) people treating it as a lottery ticket hoping for a gold cac, and (2) people submitting low priced coins that really dont need a sticker.

In any other market if demand exceeds supply, the price goes up. Why should they be any different?

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erscolo said:
    R.I.P.

whoa, that's pretty dark.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lermish said:

@Catbert said:

However, I think a big mental hurdle for many who appreciate CAC's services is that they believe a coin is unworthy of ownership if it doesn't pass JA's approval. So many nice coins that are great to own and appreciate despite the green sticker. I own a few that will remain in my collection.

Do you mean despite the lack of a green sticker? I totally agree by the way. I like CAC and happily buy stickered coins and especially like to use it as a sounding board where I have less than normal confidence (like an unfamiliar series or early copper).

But there are plenty of very nice coins available without stickers.

Yes, I did mean worthwhile coins that have been rejected for the bean. My sentence was deficient in expressing my thought! :)

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    ms71ms71 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only about 11.5% from collectors. I would have guessed more, but then you have to allow that many collectors have their coins submitted through a dealer.

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms71 said:
    Only about 11.5% from collectors. I would have guessed more, but then you have to allow that many collectors have their coins submitted through a dealer.

I agree with this thought. I have a dealer account and have submitted perhaps over a thousand coins for collectors over the years. They all went in under my dealer account. I realize in the grand scheme this isn't an enormous number, but keep in mind that I am also not a major player in this field, so the numbers might add up.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@Connecticoin said:
    While I think that, overall, CAC has been good for the hobby in ridding the scourge of doctored coins,

I think the major grading services already do a pretty good job of ridding the hobby of doctored coins.

I think CAC prompted them to take it more seriously in the late aughts and actually start banning known coin doctors from submitting

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

Remember the collectors listed above are the ones who joined CAC, that is a small subset of all collectors. The rest have to go through dealers.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:
    UNPOPULAR OPINION:
    1- Coins with a value under 5K are $25.00
    2- Coins with a value of over 5K are $50.00
    3- There is no refund for coins that do not sticker.

This might eliminate coins like MS63 common Mercury dimes from being submitted in the hopes of a payday with a gold CAC.

After all of this settles out, CAC may also consider opening up submissions for other series it currently rejects.

OR they could set a minimum CAC price guide value of, say, $200 for each coin submitted. But hey, they are happy to accept $16 to bean your MS63 common Merc and add $5 to its value 😆

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file