Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Just added a cool “PL” to my “PL” collection

wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭✭

As much as I enjoy my 1970-D Kennedy 50C collection of PL’s and other neat modern PL coins, I’ve really taken a liking to my new member of my “PL club”. Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

Comments

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats! It looks great! I have tried to pick up a few PL gold coins but outbid on the nicer ones. Others seem just too hair-lined for my liking.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks nicer than 62 to me

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

Incredible coin!! All day long!

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holy Cow that is amazing! Please feel free to show images of your other PL coins, too, as I'd especially like to see things like the '70-D PL JFK.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful. Can say no more. Congratulations.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 26, 2022 9:20AM

Sweet!

I would like to see more of your PL collection as well.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2022 11:59AM

‘’Looks nicer than 62 to me”

Gumby1234 - I believe PCGS has never graded an 1893-CC $20 higher than an MS63 so I am not surprised this coin ended up at MS62PL. PCGS is “as tough as nails” with their grading which is what makes their coins so darn desirable in the marketplace.

Also, I believe there had never been a single “CC” $20 Gold across the entire Ty 1-Ty 3 series to ever receive a PL designation from PCGS at the time I submitted this coin for the PL designation last week (there was no coin # for an 1893-CC $20 PL for me to use in the PCGS system when we wrote up the coin for submission). But, when it earned the PL designation, the PCGS “pop” went to “2” on this date and grade. So, there must have been a second coin in the PCGS system that was not completed when we checked for the coin number.

Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now what is not to like on a PL descriptor especially on some Kennedys?
    Tease my heart and show them.
    DMPLS also appreciated.
    Thanks
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW! What a beauty ☺️ her curls are so perfect ….. could easily be 64 on MS

• Options
    edited August 26, 2022 9:58AM

Paradisefound- the curls are mesmerizing; I agree. And, PCGS has made the grade of MS62 worth falling in love with again!!

Thank you everyone for the kind words on this special coin!

I will organize my modern PL collection a little better to be in a position to post pics of those coins as well.

Wondercoin

• Options
    justindanjustindan Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that is an amazing NEWP!

• Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 26, 2022 3:08PM

Nice coin!

• Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

I couldn't stop looking at my semi-PL $20 lib I can't imagine how amazing this one is in hand, awesome coin.

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

wondercoin's use of "cool" in the title may be the most understated use of any word in history.

Tim

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very Nice!

Question, is it possible this coin was struck with dies that were originally used to strike proof coins and when the strike resulted in something not to standard for a proof coin was used to strike business strike coins? That coin looks extremely nice for a coin struck with even new business strike dies.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can anyone say Branch Mint Proof?? :)

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pmh1nic said:
    Very Nice!

Question, is it possible this coin was struck with dies that were originally used to strike proof coins and when the strike resulted in something not to standard for a proof coin was used to strike business strike coins? That coin looks extremely nice for a coin struck with even new business strike dies.

I think the branch mint dies were shipped from Philly, so it’s possible a used set of Proof dies were sent to Carson City. But that almost looks like the planchet was polished too. Maybe a presentation piece was made for someone?

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    rokkyrokky Posts: 308 ✭✭✭✭

Wow, that certainly is a wonder coin!

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

I made a run and got a few PL double eagles back in the early 2000s when low level UNCs were about 500$. I sold them all to buy other coins to include my fav to forum member @Bloodman who had an amazing set. I never saw a CC that deep.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool!

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a coin!

• Options
    shortnockshortnock Posts: 372 ✭✭✭

Swwwoooooonnnn!

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow!! That is a gorgeous piece!!

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! That is a beautiful piece. Really underselling it as just "cool".

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! That’s a terrific looking coin. Congrats!

• Options
    BloodManBloodMan Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking CC double eagle!

NGC started designating deserving coins as prooflike in 2003, while PCGS started in 2019. Currently there are 10 '93-CCs prooflike $20s in all grades in the NGC population census report. There are 2 at MS62 at NGC, perhaps the other coin at PCGS was one of these previously graded PL coins.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

<3<3<3

What a great coin!!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    dhikewhitneydhikewhitney Posts: 366 ✭✭✭

@gumby1234 said:
    Looks nicer than 62 to me

I cannot see anything in the photos that indicate a 62. While I would like to buy it for a 62 price, it looks like a 64.

• Options
    dhikewhitneydhikewhitney Posts: 366 ✭✭✭

I assume this is going to CAC.

• Options

dhikewhitney: I believe the coin is truly a “deep” prooflike, but I confirmed 100% yesterday that PCGS, at this time, does not award “DPL” to any classic gold coins - regardless of whether the coin is deserving of that designation or not. DPL is not a designation choice for the PCGS graders of Classic Gold (as say, Morgan Dollars where PCGS graders can select “DMPL” for those coins). Too bad for that, as I believe this CC gold coin is a worthy candidate for the DPL designation.

I was also told that “superstar” photographer “Phil” will likely be the one snapping the TrueView pictures for PCGS at the San Diego PCGS event in a few weeks. So, I gave back the coin yesterday to PCGS for the purpose of resubmission and TrueView photography at that Show. They told me “a day later” the serial number would be removed as the coin was entered in the system for that show grading. I now see the serial number is inoperative. So, no CAC for now. Next stop-SAN DIEGO!

Wondercoin

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, wow and triple wow.... @wondercoin... I love gold coins, and I love CC coins... and PL gold CC coins are amazing. That is a beautiful coin. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am very curious as to how this looks in hand. I write this mainly because the coin looks fairly clean for the grade and I would expect the mirrors to highlight surface imperfections.

Regardless... it is a wonderful coin. Congrats

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

Coinkat. I agree with you. Will you by chance be in San Diego at the PCGS event? I could probably arrange to show you the coin towards the end of the show as I am fairly confident PCGS will be finished with the coin at that time.

Wondercoin

• Options

Bloodman. That is an excellent point. And, I agree with you.

Wondercoin

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

@wondercoin said:
    Coinkat. I agree with you. Will you by chance be in San Diego at the PCGS event? I could probably arrange to show you the coin towards the end of the show as I am fairly confident PCGS will be finished with the coin at that time.

Wondercoin

I am looking for details of this event as I'd love to attend.
    is there a link with specific information (when, where...)

peacockcoins

• Options
    edited August 27, 2022 8:37AM

‘’I think the branch mint dies were shipped from Philly, so it’s possible a used set of Proof dies were sent to Carson City. But that almost looks like the planchet was polished too. Maybe a presentation piece was made for someone?’’

Pmh1nic/ Walkerguy21d- And, if there ever was going to be a time the CC Mint would prepare a presentation piece it would be in 1893! A message I prepared to accompany this coin in my bank vault…

‘’The Carson City Mint was established by Congress on March 3, 1863 to service the coinage needs brought about by the Comstock Lode, the largest silver strike in U.S. history. The Mint had political obstacles since its opening in 1870, but its time had finally run out in 1893. The nearby Comstock Lode had also mostly “dried up” by that time. Grover Cleveland put a halt to Carson City coinage in 1885 when he first became President. Production at the Mint resumed under Harrison in 1889, but after Cleveland returned to the White House in 1893, he shut down the presses for the second and final time.

The Carson City Mint's final gold double eagle issue in 1893 had a mintage of just 18,402 pieces making it an absolute scarcity in terms of mintage. The final 1893 limited production run of this historic gold issue from probably the nation's most “romanticized” and popular coinage facility is a coin, in any grade, worth collecting by serious US coin collectors. For those collectors seeking a Mint State example, it was estimated in 2020, by Rusty Goe, that approximately only 290 to 350 examples exist today. Of that amount, only about 5% even achieve a “Choice Uncirculated” quality grade and PCGS has never graded a single example of this date above Choice Uncirculated MS63 in its roughly 36 year existence (NGC has seen just one MS64 coin) (through July, 2022). Perhaps even more exciting, only about 1/10 of 1% of the entire original mintage still exists in true Mint State “prooflike” grade.

Hence, this coin is currently the centerpiece of my U.S. “prooflike” collection I stated collecting forty years ago in around 1982.’’

Wondercoin

• Options

Pat- Here is something I found on the PCGS homepage…

PCGS Members Only Show
    Wednesday, September 7 to Friday, September 9, 2022
    Omni Hotel & Resort
    675 L St
    San Diego, California 92101
    Directions

ON-SITE GRADING

REGENCY AUCTION
    On-site Coin Grading will be Offered!
    On-Site Banknote Grading for Express Service Level and Above Available!
    On-site show submissions will be accepted through Thursday, September 8, 2022 at 5:00 PM.
    Show submissions mailed to the office must be post marked by Thursday, September 8, 2022.
    PCGS Representatives will be able to answer questions, accept submissions (including limited Bulk), and provide specific hours for submission cutoff times.
    24 hour turnaround is currently not available.
    Click here for hotel reservations
    Click here for show details.

Wondercoin

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet!
    Thanks for the info. I have a few coins I'd like to drop off and enjoy the event's ambiance.

peacockcoins

• Options

Pat. I will be out of the country until the first week of October. Otherwise, of course, I would have already written you about meeting at the show. But, I am asking my son Justin (monstercoinmart on eBay) and my daughter Lauren (who is about to launch “Captivating Coin” on eBay) if either, or both of them, will be attending this fun event in San Diego.

Wondercoin

• Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow . . . .deep end of the pool . . .
    Drunner

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cert doesn't show up. is it out for regrade?

• Options

alaura22- see my San Diego posting above.

Wondercoin

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got it
    Thanks

• Options

‘’I'd love to see Mitch's PL 1970-D Kennedies too!’’

Ok Pat. Let’s look at one Justin just took a stab at picturing.

Wondercoin

• Options

Best I know, Heritage only featured a PCGS Deep Prooflike Gem Quality 1970-D Kennedy Half Dollar one time in their decades and decades of auctioning coins. And I was fortunate enough to win it out of their auction (pictured above). I may resubmit it to PCGS for the DPL designation now that I believe they award that designation to these Kennedy Half Dollars. But, DPL is unfortunately not a designation currently awarded to classic gold coins (best is PL) so I am told.

Wondercoin

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful

Frank

BHNC #203

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file