Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Anyone else win 5 trophies/awards in one season ?

Comments

• Options
    erbaerba Posts: 285 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 6, 2022 6:12AM

@Goldenage said:
    That’s it for me guys.

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 6, 2022 1:38PM

@erba said:

@Goldenage said:
    That’s it for me guys.

I know. Lol

Then Tabe says Holt didn’t play with Orr and I needed to correct him.

PLEASE no more false statements so I can exit !

PLEASE!!!

Plus minus per game

Orr. .91
    Robinson .53
    Clarke .44
    Gretzky .35

Bobby Clarke better than Gretzky in plus minus. The BEST two way forward EVER !

3 MVPs. 2 Cups.

• Options
    edited September 6, 2022 9:23AM

Oh yeah, why is Bourque and McCrimmons plus minus per game better than Lidstroms and Coffey’s ?

One can compare Lidstrom to Bourque. One can not compare either of those two to Bobby Orr.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 6, 2022 8:51AM

@Goldenage said:

Bobby Clarke better than Gretzky.
    The BEST two way forward EVER !

Clarke was a talented hockey player but he is tarnished for being a dirty thug: he should have respected the sport enough not to slash Kharlamov with intent to injure back in the 1972 Summit Series. (it does not excuse Mikhailov kicking skates at Bergman in that series either) Similar play to Bertuzzi/Moore. I know a lot of people like Clarke, but I'd take Yzerman, Datsyuk or Patrice Bergeron over Clarke anytime.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

@miwlvrn said:

@Goldenage said:

Bobby Clarke better than Gretzky.
    The BEST two way forward EVER !

Clarke was a talented hockey player but he is tarnished for being a dirty thug: he should have respected the sport enough not to slash Kharlamov with intent to injure back in the 1972 Summit Series. (it does not excuse Mikhailov kicking skates at Bergman in that series either) Similar play to Bertuzzi/Moore. I know a lot of people like Clarke, but I'd take Yzerman, Datsyuk or Patrice Bergeron over Clarke anytime.

Regarding Clarke, who was NOT better than Gretzky, it's a shame he played on that goon squad and a bigger shame the NHL allowed the Flyers to completely ignore the rules.

I distinctly remember a North Stars Flyers playoff series (1973?) where whenever the Flyers had a player in the penalty box, they would blatantly trip, slash etc the North Stars players and the refs swallowed their whistles.

The Flyers took advantage of this, not sure how much to blame them. Hated them for years though.

Yzerman was one of the very best ever. Yet +/- says otherwise by a LOT when comparing Yzerman to Clarke!!!!!!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldenage said:

@Tabe said:

@Goldenage said:
    Randy Holt played with and against Orr and told me Orr was much better than 99 and he played against him too.

Randy Holt played ONE game against Orr. And he didn't play ANY games with Orr.

But, sure, he's the expert here.

Bowman is the expert compared to anyone here, and what Randy told me is true. See for yourself.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/CBH/1977.html

Aw, you didn't bother to check WHEN each guy played for Chicago that year. I did.

Orr's 20 games with Chicago that season went from 10/76 - 1/27/77. Holt's 12 games STARTED in 3/77.

So, no, they did not play any games together.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldenage said:

@daltex said:

@Goldenage said:
    That’s it for me guys.

Scotty Bowman and I agree on who was the best ever, and others who never saw Orr from age 18-26 on channel 38 in Boston can disagree.

Randy Holt played with and against Orr and told me Orr was much better than 99 and he played against him too.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

Enjoyed the chat.

Wait. So the whole argument is "You don't understand. I watched him on TV!"?

You’re right. Evaluating what players did in both ends of the ice comes from data only, and not watching them a lot.

You earned your lol.

Example. One third baseman with 900 field percentage has a season of easy groundouts on astroturf.

Other 3B with same percentage makes amazing plays on grass and dirt with Rocket arm and speed fielding bunts.

Yeah, watching is not necessary. Lol

Well, yes, I suppose that's true if you think that fielding percentage is the most important, or even at all relevant, in assessing the value of a third baseman, or even the defensive value of a third baseman. It would suggest that Placido Polanco was the best 3B (or possibly defensive 3B) of all time, followed by Mike Lowell, Matt Chapman, Nolan Arenado, Anthony Rendon, with Brooks Robinson sixth. If we extend this to Short we not only learn that Xander Bogearts is better than Ozzie Smith, but Mark Belanger is 40th best of all time.

Stats, especially dumb stats like +/- per game, save percentage per game, or fielding percentage, obviously can't tell the whole story. There are things that can be seen by watching, if you understand what you're watching. A coach watching his players every night is apt to have a clearer opinion of the relative worth of the players than a thirteen-year-old kid who understands vastly less about hockey sitting at home watching most of one team's games most of the time on TV. Even then, people have biases that can be corrected for by the right statistics. Even the three statistics I ridiculed above aren't meaningless, but they likely don't say what you think they mean.

• Options
    habs007habs007 Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

l loved it when he stood up for Don Cherry a few years ago. Put his ass on the line against the woke mob. Solid. ( he is wearing shoulder pads by the way )

• Options

@habs007 said:
    l loved it when he stood up for Don Cherry a few years ago. Put his ass on the line against the woke mob. Solid. ( he is wearing shoulder pads by the way )

Of course he is. It's silly to think he didn't. Just in case, though, here's a photo from ebay where you can clearly see his shoulder pads:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174597010907

• Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

@Goldenage said:

Seeing what he did teaches us how fearless he was to help his team win.

Not as fearless as this guy.
    https://youtu.be/v-U3gGaLZqE

• Options

@Tabe said:

@Goldenage said:

@Tabe said:

@Goldenage said:

Bowman is the expert compared to anyone here, and what Randy told me is true. See for yourself.

Aw, you didn't bother to check WHEN each guy played for Chicago that year. I did.

Orr's 20 games with Chicago that season went from 10/76 - 1/27/77. Holt's 12 games STARTED in 3/77.

I can confirm that they did not play in a regular season game together that season.

I would assume they were both in training camp that season. Perhaps a pre-season game.

• Options

@georgebailey2 said:

@Tabe said:

@Goldenage said:

@Tabe said:

@Goldenage said:

I would assume they were both in training camp that season. Perhaps a pre-season game.

You figured it out.

• Options

@habs007 said:

I loved it too.
    Sometimes he wore them and sometimes he didn’t.

• Options

@Goldenage said:
    Oh yeah, why is Bourque and McCrimmons plus minus per game better than Lidstroms and Coffey’s ?

One can compare Lidstrom to Bourque. One can not compare either of those two to Bobby Orr.

Anyone care to answer this ?

• Options

How is Wayne Gretzky a MINUS for THREE postseasons for Edmonton ?

He’s young like Orr. No injuries like Orr. Why is he a minus for 3 different years in the postseason ?

• Options
    edited September 7, 2022 2:55AM

Here’s Wayne Gretzky at age 26. In the prime of his life against the best competition in the world.

The year is 1987.

Why is Bourque, Messier, and even Lemieux a PLUS, and he is a MINUS ?

https://www.quanthockey.com/world-cup/en/seasons/1987-world-cup-players-stats.html

He’s the leading scorer of the tournament yet he is way less important to his team than Larry Murphy is.

Understand now why Bobby Orr is the GOAT ?

• Options
    edited September 7, 2022 3:54AM

Many hockey fans see Gretzky as the all time leading scorer and think he was the greatest.

They have no clue about what the greatest in hockey is all about.

Bobby #1
    Gordie #2

• Options
    edited September 7, 2022 4:18AM

Your #1 line is expected to score while keeping your opponent scoreless.

Over the course of their careers, Bobby Clarke did that much better than Wayne Gretzky. You can’t have it both ways either. You can’t say longevity hurt Wayne’s plus minus while praising his career point totals.
    If he chose to play then it was his job to defend as well as attack. He didn’t do it better then Clarke. He didn’t do it in 1987 with Team Canada, or 3 postseasons while healthy in Edmonton.

When I said Bobby Orr is the best ever and it isn’t even close, I wasn’t trying to upset anyone. It’s just what many of us know as the truth.

• Options

@Goldenage said:

@georgebailey2 said:

@Tabe said:

@Goldenage said:

@Tabe said:

@Goldenage said:

You figured it out.

There is no way this is what you meant.

• Options

@Goldenage said:
    Many hockey fans see Gretzky as the all time leading scorer and think he was the greatest.

Bobby #1
    Gordie #2

This is a stupid statement.

This just goes back you basically saying I (and Scotty Bowman) think Bobby Orr is the greatest and everybody that doesn't say Orr is wrong.

When people think they're the smartest person in the room, they usually aren't.

• Options

@Goldenage said:

He’s young like Orr. No injuries like Orr. Why is he a minus for 3 different years in the postseason ?

The same reason Orr was a MINUS for THREE postseasons: they lost in an early round. It happens.

• Options
    edited September 7, 2022 5:30AM

@georgebailey2 said:

@Goldenage said:

The same reason Orr was a MINUS for THREE postseasons: they lost in an early round. It happens.

Orr was hurt. He couldn’t play in the 72 Summit also. He barely made it in 74-75 also.

Think about it. He had 10-20 knee surgeries in a 10 year hockey career.

• Options
    edited September 7, 2022 4:58AM

@erba said:

@Goldenage said:

Bobby #1
    Gordie #2

This just goes back you basically saying I (and Scotty Bowman) think Bobby Orr is the greatest and everybody that doesn't say Orr is wrong.

Ok. You’re right. Only scoring is important in hockey. That’s all that matters.

Bowman is clueless. As is Don Cherry, Clarke, Potvin and many others.

You’re right.

• Options

@erba said:

@Goldenage said:

@georgebailey2 said:

@Tabe said:

@Goldenage said:

@Tabe said:

@Goldenage said:

You figured it out.

It’s what Randy told me. It has nothing to do with what I meant.

• Options

Tenacious on both ends of the ice.

• Options

@Goldenage said:

@erba said:

@Goldenage said:

Bobby #1
    Gordie #2

You’re right.

So all the players & coaches that say Gretzky is the greatest to play are wrong?

• Options
    edited September 7, 2022 5:22AM

@Goldenage said:

@erba said:

@Goldenage said:

@georgebailey2 said:

@Tabe said:

@Goldenage said:

@Tabe said:

@Goldenage said:

You figured it out.

If you're going to make a statement about how they played together and post links to the season they were on the same team, don't act like you meant they played in the preseason together and somebody finally figured out the riddle. It's not what you were implying at all.

• Options

@erba said:

@Goldenage said:

@erba said:

@Goldenage said:

@georgebailey2 said:

@Tabe said:

@Goldenage said:

@Tabe said:

@Goldenage said:

You figured it out.

If you're going to make a statement about how they played together and post links to the season they were on the same team, don't act like you meant they played in the preseason together and somebody finally figured out the riddle. It's not what you were implying at all.

Don’t act like you know what others meant. There are professionals who can help you with this problem

• Options

OK. I’m done here for good. I’ve heard enough dumb statements, but some very good ones too.

I’ll leave you with this. Bobby Clarke and Bobby Orr and Geordie Howe never got benched for not playing hard enough.

Glen Sather sat Wayne an entire period of a game once for not playing defense.

Enjoyed most of your feedback.

• Options

@erba said:

@Goldenage said:

@erba said:

@Goldenage said:

Bobby #1
    Gordie #2

You’re right.

So all the players & coaches that say Gretzky is the greatest to play are wrong?

• Options

@GreenSneakers said:
    For the love of all things big and small, please let this thread die.

It’s like arguing with a kindergartener as to what their favorite stuffed animal is. This guy likes his pink fluffy elephant. Great toy, sure. But if you, like most people, enjoy the brown teddy bear more, you’re just wrong.

Teddy had a bad +/- in a preseason OHL game when he was 17 is all that matters.

There seems to be a flaw in the coding on this site; I can't figure out how to hit Agree, Like and LOL on the same comment ;)

• Options

@erba said:

@Goldenage said:

@erba said:

@Goldenage said:

Bobby #1
    Gordie #2

You’re right.

>
    >
    >

Maybe, it depends on each person's judgement on what makes a player "The Greatest".

If you only look at PPG for a long period of time, Wayne's the greatest.

If you like Goals per Game, Lemieux (or Bossy) could be considered the GOAT.

When you put more emphasis on an all around game, which would include playing defense and throwing a check once in a while, Wayne's game takes a big drop.

I like Howe better, but wouldn't spend too much energy trying to "prove" he was the GOAT over Gretzky. It is funny to me that people choose Gretzky over Mario because of length of career and don't see that Howe played until he was 50.

Orr's career was cut short, but he is considered one of the top 3 defenseman of all time and he was the best goal scorer, by far, of all the blueliners.

Not sure if anyone thinks Ray Bourque deserves much praise but he made 17(?) straight All Star games and is the All Time points leader among defenders.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldenage said:
    OK. I’m done here for good. I’ve heard enough dumb statements, but some very good ones too.

I’ll leave you with this. Bobby Clarke and Bobby Orr and Geordie Howe never got benched for not playing hard enough.

Glen Sather sat Wayne an entire period of a game once for not playing defense.

Enjoyed most of your feedback.

The moment you said Orr was easily better than Gretzky you lost me. Easily was a bad choice!

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@erba said:

@Goldenage said:

@erba said:

@Goldenage said:

Bobby #1
    Gordie #2

You’re right.

>
    >
    >

Maybe, it depends on each person's judgement on what makes a player "The Greatest".

If you only look at PPG for a long period of time, Wayne's the greatest.

If you like Goals per Game, Lemieux (or Bossy) could be considered the GOAT.

When you put more emphasis on an all around game, which would include playing defense and throwing a check once in a while, Wayne's game takes a big drop.

I like Howe better, but wouldn't spend too much energy trying to "prove" he was the GOAT over Gretzky. It is funny to me that people choose Gretzky over Mario because of length of career and don't see that Howe played until he was 50.

Orr's career was cut short, but he is considered one of the top 3 defenseman of all time and he was the best goal scorer, by far, of all the blueliners.

Not sure if anyone thinks Ray Bourque deserves much praise but he made 17(?) straight All Star games and is the All Time points leader among defenders.

Thanks for showing, like others have, that there is no clear answer. You can't just pick all the players that you watched growing up that you hold near and dear to your heart and say they're the greatest.

I'm from Boston and I always thought Bourque doesn't get enough praise. There were a lot of great defenseman during that time.

• Options
    edited September 7, 2022 8:49AM

@JoeBanzai said:

This is a very impressive point, for sure. But to be fair to Bourque, and to be a bit more accurate, his achievement was actually better than stated above. Bourque appeared in the All-Star Game in every season that it was held during his career. But, being selected as a 1st team or 2nd team NHL All-Star is an award which is not really related to playing in the All-Star game, and much more exclusive than the All-Star Game. Bourque made 1st or 2nd team NHL All-Star in 17 straight years, and 19 total times.

For my money, Lidstrom is right up next to Orr, followed by a more notable step down to the next group of Bourque/Harvey/Shore, though I can appreciate some people feel otherwise.

(yes, shame on Shore for the Bailey incident)

• Options

@miwlvrn said:

>

For my money, Lidstrom is right up next to Orr, followed by a more notable step down to the next group of Bourque/Harvey/Shore, though I can appreciate some people feel otherwise.

As a "pure" defender Lidstrom might have been better, but Bourque was the better scorer by quite a bit.

• Options
    edited September 7, 2022 9:36AM

@georgebailey2 said:

@miwlvrn said:

@Goldenage said:
    Remember, Brad Marsh and Ed Hospidar were regular shift D men for Stanley Cup final teams during then.

Very few HOF D men and goalies during that time.

Ray Bourque. An old Potvin.
    Steven’s and Chelios just getting started.

There are others (Larry Robinson, Brad Park, Guy Lapointe and Borje Salming come to mind); but when it comes to defending against forwards, it is important to also credit forwards filling that role (during the years in question as well as other eras too), such as Bob Gainey and Guy Carbonneau, et. al.

Wilson and Langway are also in the HOF and won 3 Norris trophies between them.

I forgot about Larry Murphy and Phil Housley to add to that list too. Seems like there was a good share of HHOF Defencemen in the NHL during the early to mid '80's

• Options
    edited September 7, 2022 9:52PM

@miwlvrn said:

@JoeBanzai said:

This is a very impressive point, for sure. But to be fair to Bourque, and to be a bit more accurate, his achievement was actually better than stated above. Bourque appeared in the All-Star Game in every season that it was held during his career. But, being selected as a 1st team or 2nd team NHL All-Star is an award which is not really related to playing in the All-Star game, and much more exclusive than the All-Star Game. Bourque made 1st or 2nd team NHL All-Star in 17 straight years, and 19 total times.

(yes, shame on Shore for the Bailey incident)

IMO, one of the few things you can really do is compare a player relative to the rest of the league at the time he played. When you mentioned Bourque's amazing consistency, it got me thinking.

Bourque played 22 seasons. He was a post-season all-star 19 times. He won 5 Norris, was top 5 an additional 13x (6x 2nd, 4x 3rd and 3x 4th) and top 10 an additional 4x. In other words, he finished in the top 10 (7, actually as those other 4 times were all 7th) each year of his 22 year career. That really is amazing.

For comparison, Lidstrom won 6 Norris, was top 5 an additional 6x (3x 2nd, 1x 3rd, 4th and 5th) and top 10 an additional 4x. That is amazing, too. I'm just not sure it is as amazing as Bourque.

Harvey won 7 Norris trophies. But, he was a 1st team NHL All-Star in the two seasons prior to the introduction of the award. Either he or Kelly would have added one or two more.

My point being, I am not so convinced that Bourque and Harvey, at least, would be a notable step down.

• Options
    rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

I think the biggest unanswered question in this whole thread, is who is the all time leader in time on ice per period? Or save percentage on backhanders? What about shots off the post per game?

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• Options
    FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 471 ✭✭✭

Wayne Gretzky is the best hockey player ever. In real life. Offense is the best defense. Statistics do matter. So do trophies.

• Options
    edited September 8, 2022 1:09PM

I know I shouldn’t have read this. Mario was by far the best player in the 1987 CC.

11 goals to Gretzky’s three.
    4 Game winning goals to Gretzky’s three.

A plus 5 to Gretzky’s minus 1.

Gretzky was the leading scorer only because Mario played with him, or he wouldn’t have all those assists.

Lemieux was the best by far.

You’re right. Orr was easily the best in the 1976 CC.

Brett Hull was the leading scorer for team USA at the 1996 World Cup, but LeClair Leetch and D Hatcher were the best players by far. Perhaps Chelios.
    Of course Richter was the best if we count goalies.

• Options

If you lean towards offensive guys then you’ve got to score.

Lemieux was far Superior to Gretzky in 1987. 11 goals to 3.

He had more game winning goals than Gretzky had total goals for the tournament.

• Options

Just messing with ya.

• Options

@Goldenage said:
    If you lean towards offensive guys then you’ve got to score.

Lemieux was far Superior to Gretzky in 1987. 11 goals to 3.

He had more game winning goals than Gretzky had total goals for the tournament.

Mario was definitely the best player at that tournament. He was just coming into his true prime and was out of this world playing with teammates that didn't suck for the first time.

• Options

I remember Mario in the 1991 Finals against the North Stars;

I believe it was in game 5 in the third period. Minnesota had cut Pittsburgh's lead to 5-4. It seemed the momentum had shifted back to Minnesota. Lemieux just took over the game. Time after time he would take the puck from whoever had it on the N Stars in the Penguins zone and turn the play around, bring the puck the other way for a scoring chance at the other end. He made it look easy. Really easy.

The N Stars went from attacking to try to get the tying goal to being almost completely on the defensive whenever Mario was on the ice. I have never seen a hockey player take over a game like that. Eventually Pittsburgh got another goal, late in the game to win 6-4. Surprisingly Mario neither assisted nor scored after he took control of the contest.

Two days later Pittsburgh won game 6, and the series in Minnesota 8-0.

I really think that after his performance in game 5, Minnesota knew they were beat.

Pittsburgh was the superior team, but without Mario.........who knows?

• Options
    edited September 9, 2022 1:38AM

@JoeBanzai said:
    I remember Mario in the 1991 Finals against the North Stars;

I believe it was in game 5 in the third period. Minnesota had cut Pittsburgh's lead to 5-4. It seemed the momentum had shifted back to Minnesota. Lemieux just took over the game. Time after time he would take the puck from whoever had it on the N Stars in the Penguins zone and turn the play around, bring the puck the other way for a scoring chance at the other end. He made it look easy. Really easy.

The N Stars went from attacking to try to get the tying goal to being almost completely on the defensive whenever Mario was on the ice. I have never seen a hockey player take over a game like that. Eventually Pittsburgh got another goal, late in the game to win 6-4. Surprisingly Mario neither assisted nor scored after he took control of the contest.

Two days later Pittsburgh won game 6, and the series in Minnesota 8-0.

I really think that after his performance in game 5, Minnesota knew they were beat.

Pittsburgh was the superior team, but without Mario.........who knows?

The following year in 1992 Mario had a year that was amazing.

He had 160 points in 60 games where he was clearly hurt a lot of the season. Very Bobby Orr like.

66 ? 99 ? Flip a freaking coin !

• Options
    edited September 9, 2022 6:48AM

It could be worse JoeB

• Options

Card #300 for post #300.

A Gem mint card
    A Gem mint auto
    A Gem mint player