Home U.S. Coin Forum

Found this at a yard sale for $15.00

Bdog9027Bdog9027 Posts: 46 ✭✭
edited August 13, 2022 1:18PM in U.S. Coin Forum

New to coin collecting and first and foremost. I am not the type immediately find the value of a coin I may come across. Or even care lol. I genuinely admire American and other world coins. But an older woman sold me this and said $15 was fine by her. But this is the treasure I’ve found!

Comments

• Bdog9027Bdog9027 Posts: 46 ✭✭

@pocketpiececommems said:
    I’m going to guess that she is a widow and it’s from her husband’s collection and she didn’t know what she had

Honestly the reason it caught my eye because “27” is literally my lucky number. Haha. But I think it looks sweet too

• AbehunterAbehunter Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

I'm new also,I'm not gonna comment on your find because I'd probably be wrong,however I'm interested in what others will comment

edited August 12, 2022 7:30PM

@Abehunter said:
    I'm new also,I'm not gonna comment on your find because I'd probably be wrong,however I'm interested in what others will comment

Haha fine by me. See I really got into coin collecting recently. I usually just stack gold and silver bars and sometimes bullion whenever the price is right every other paycheck. And noticed how beautiful the gold and silver pandas i have are. And I’m like. I feel like being a collector now I think 🧐

That' cool,I've just started this hobby some of what I've learned is condition is really important

@Abehunter said:
    That' cool,I've just started this hobby some of what I've learned is condition is really important

Yup I know to hold the coin on the outside and etc. I do have some more coins from yard sales I’ve gotten cheap. But so far this one seemed the only one worth posting to a forum I think

We're there any other coins at that yard sale?

@Abehunter said:
    We're there any other coins at that yard sale?

No at that yard sale I got that 1927 half dollar and a 1960’s Girard Perregaux watch.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like taking candy from a baby....Too bad people don't do any research on the value of what they have.

@logger7 said:
    Like taking candy from a baby....Too bad people don't do any research on the value of what they have.

I could care less about the value. But judging by the pictures is it worth being sent graded? I am sending 1990s era gold and silver panda coins in soon as well

• BarberianBarberian Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a damn nice coin for an even better price. Redbook puts the value at ~$250-$450 (AU50-MS 65). It looks choice uncirculated to me. Perhaps MS64 or 65. It's worthy of TPG grading down the road, in my opinion.

3 rim nicks away from Good

@Barberian said:
    That's a damn nice coin for an even better price. Redbook puts the value at ~$250-$450 (AU50-MS 65). It looks choice uncirculated to me. Perhaps MS64 or 65. It's worthy of TPG grading down the road, in my opinion.

Thank you for the input!

@TomB said:
    Its was a steal (literally) at $15, but I think it's an AU58.

Hmm is still worth getting graded if I take other coins along in with it?

I appreciate the comments guys. Thank you for responding. Hope to show you more treasure finds soon

• MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS Coin #9401
    (The number above in a blue font is a hyperlink.)

PCGS Price Guide Values:

Source: https://www.pcgs.com/prices/detail/silver-commemorative/789/most-active/ms?pn=2

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've always loved the Vermont Commemorative. Nice pick up.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice score!

@Coinscratch said:
    Nice score!

Thanks man 😎

@gumby1234 said:
    I've always loved the Vermont Commemorative. Nice pick up.

Me too, I read the history on it also. How they had destroyed 12,000 outta the 40,000 coins minted due to low popularity

• jedmjedm Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice, and welcome to the forum. I like the cat on the reverse the most.

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to our Forum.....Great find!!! Almost reaching antique level at 100 years. Wonderful condition-I'd definitely send to PCGS.

edited August 13, 2022 4:51AM

From a collectors standpoint with this coin and it’s history. Do you think it really only attracts person(s) who are mostly commemorative collectors? Me personally I just plan to grade it and keep it as I’ll have something to look at when I look at my old and silver fractionals lol but just curious 🧐

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bdog9027 ... Welcome aboard. Nice commemorative half dollar... I would grade it low MS.
    Probably a 62, but the pictures are not conducive to accuracy. Let us know what grade it gets. Cheers, RickO

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2022 5:25AM

Squeeze those staples down. And if you send in for grading, cut the coin out of the 2x2 (with a scissor on the cardboard part) rather than fiddling with removing staples. I've got a 1934-D Peace dollar that some yahoo was in a hurry to get out of its 2x2 holder resulting in a staple scratch on the reverse. Piece graded "Uncirculated Details- Reverse scratch."

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU 58, worth about 165 retail ...... nice pick up ....... I guess one man's ignorance is another man's gain if that's the creed you live by

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type

Wow what the frick lol? So a grader did that bullcrap??

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

I should add that the yahoo who scratched my 1934-D dollar wasn't me. Happily the scratch, even though significant enough to warrant a details grade at NGC, is not in a place that caused me to shrink away from buying it. $150 coin easily without the scratch. Well under $100 coin with scratch.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

@ricko said:
    @Bdog9027 ... Welcome aboard. Nice commemorative half dollar... I would grade it low MS.
    Probably a 62, but the pictures are not conducive to accuracy. Let us know what grade it gets. Cheers, RickO

I think you are right. I had terrible
    Lighting and I just wanted to get some pictures worth saving to a phone but got in a rush. It does look more built up. The collar area on the obverse if I’m saying that right lol. (the front?)

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2022 10:35AM

@TomB said:
    In my opinion (stress on opinion) if you submit this coin you will simply take $30 or so out of your pocket.

I agree with Tom about the condition (approximately AU58) and that it would be throwing money away to get it graded. Including postage, the cost would probably be over $50 and grading wouldn’t add nearly that much value to the coin.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

..other stuff to get graded soon. Was told the more the cheaper it ultimately ends up? Idk really
    Hoping someone could fill me in on that

• WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2022 11:17AM

Definitely a steal... I can't find one close to that condition online for under $200...

I wouldn't send it for grading if I was you.

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

Well I respect the ones saying the it’s an AU58 or so but. I believe the next time I’ll post it on here in a slab it’s at least 2-6 over. And if I’m wrong I’ll send one of you an 1oz of silver haha

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bdog9027 said:
    ..other stuff to get graded soon. Was told the more the cheaper it ultimately ends up? Idk really
    Hoping someone could fill me in on that

Tuck it aside and maybe send it in after a couple years of collecting. I collected for 3 years (mostly graded coins) before I made my first submission, was a great way to make sure I had some semblance of a clue prior to submitting.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m going to guess that she is a widow and it’s from her husband’s collection and she didn’t know what she had

Was it priced at $15 or is that what you offered her?

• NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin for $15!

• NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2022 7:04AM

@Bdog9027 said:
    Wow what the frick lol? So a grader did that bullcrap??

Grading services don't accept coins in stapled holders for that reason. Only flip holders. Most likely done by an eager collector.

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was it priced at $15 or is that what you offered her?

My thoughts too. I liked the I didn't really know what the value was and I don't care angle too, until all of sudden "should I grade it".

Celebrating rips from little old ladies. My we have changed.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭✭

The only thing I ever find at garage sales are highly over priced modern mint proof sets or other modern mint issues. I keep looking. Great score!

• ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pursuitofliberty said:

I think just no one has posted about one lately.

K

ANA LM
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ElKevvo said:

@pursuitofliberty said:

K

Given the guy seems to be just learning about coins, I would cut him some slack. But it poses an ethical question - what would those here who DO know about coins do if it had a price tag of $15 on it? Would you buy it? Buy it for $100? Tell the lady it is worth more than $15 and suggest she price it accordingly?

@Connecticoin said:

@ElKevvo said:

@pursuitofliberty said:

K

Given the guy seems to be just learning about coins, I would cut him some slack. But it poses an ethical question - what would those here who DO know about coins do if it had a price tag of $15 on it? Would you buy it? Buy it for $100? Tell the lady it is worth more than $15 and suggest she price it accordingly?

Not really digging on the OP as much as some of the "great steal"-type comments from a few regular posters. And, I'll reserve the right to decide later on the OP.

If it's what I think it is (AU55/58sh) no way I don't figure out how to drop the better part of a C-note, even if I have to buy some other "clutter", or go back and give her the difference. If it's better, then it would have to be more.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow - nice pickup.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • bramn8rbramn8r Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bdog9027 I like coins and watches. How's that 1960’s Girard Perregaux watch?

• P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:
    Here come all the righteous do-gooders give me a break! So, you tell the sweet lil old lady that you think the coin is worth 200.00 and so you pay her 200.00. When the coin comes back details do you go back looking for her as well...
    I would have offered 10 bucks

LOL, exactly! I’m sure everyone who has bragged about “cherry-picking” here makes sure to tell the seller what they have first, and ensures they pay fair market value for it. It sounds like she was happy to sell it for $15 and so we have two happy parties in a voluntary transaction.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got something you can reserve :D

@Coinscratch Not often I get called a do-gooder. I'll take that as a compliment if it was directed at me.

Somewhere over values of about $50., and I generally want to be close to 50c on he "worst case" dollar from someone who doesn't know or doesn't care to find out ... especially little old ladies ... so I can still sleep. Buying anything has some risk and effort to sell (if I didn't want to keep it).

10c (or less) on the dollar from you, when you are supposed to know? No problem.

I'm not as nice as I might seem. Some people think I'm an a**hole. :D

Todd - BHNC #242

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file