Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1922 Peace $ PR67 Matte CAC

FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2, 2022 12:53PM in U.S. Coin Forum

An awesome new addition to my type set.

PCGS Proof-67 CAC. Ex Raymond T. Baker, director of the United States Mint, 1917 to 1922; Ira & Larry Goldberg's Pre-Long Beach Auction of June 2014, lot 1344, Bob R. Simpson Collection.

Finest known, of 8 graded by PCGS. Mintage perhaps 10-12? The original mintage is unknown- since it was not a regular issue, the Mint did not keep records on the number struck. Undoubtedly very few were made, the coins being intended solely for distribution to influential politicians, Mint and Treasury Department officials, and others intimately involved in the creation and evolution of the Peace dollar design. The coins were not made available to the general public.

Per Stacks Bowers auctions:
“All Proof 1922 high relief Peace dollars were produced in the same manner, struck… on the Mint's medal press to bring up even the most intricate elements of the design. Once struck the coins were sandblasted in the Mint, this type of finish being popular at the time in production of high quality medallic and coinage works of art. These coins are often referred to as "Matte Proofs," or being of a "matte finish," although they are more accurately described as Sand Blast Proofs in keeping with the method of manufacture.”

Raymond Thomas Baker (November 22, 1877 – April 28, 1935) was a businessman born in Nevada, educated at Stanford University, and who grew wealthy from investing in gold mining operations. He was appointed Director of the United States Mint by President Woodrow Wilson, an office he held from 1917 to 1922. This coin was in his personal possession from the time it was struck and was passed down through his daughter to a family friend who eventually sold it in 2014.

Mint Director Raymond T. Baker and Sculptor Anthony de Francisci inspecting a model of the new “Peace” Dollar.

The Commission of Fine Arts held a competition for the design of a new silver dollar and invited "eight prominent sculptors to participate." Several of the entrants had already designed U.S. coins and achieved considerable fame. Although the youngest participant and a novice coin designer, de Francisci "won the competition and took home the $1,500 cash prize."

Regarding this event, "The Dec. 20, 1920, issue of the Baltimore Sun reported…'Eight medalists, all of them from New York, were in the competition for the award. The designs in bas-relief were exhibited privately in the office of Mint Director Raymond T. Baker, after he had shown the winning one to President Harding. The President expressed his pleasure and approval.'" Becoming the designer of the Peace Dollar and receiving considerable publicity as a result of this accomplishment greatly boosted the reputation of de Francisci, taking his career to a whole new level.

De Francisci used his wife Mary Teresa as the model for the Liberty head of the Peace Dollar. When asked about its design, de Francisci "told a newspaper columnist that the portrait was not a 'photograph' of Mrs. de Francisci but was a 'composite' face that 'typified something of America'" De Francisci also said about the design of the Peace Dollar "that his goal was to capture the spirit of the country--its intellectual speed, vigor and vitality."

Comments

• Options
    shortnockshortnock Posts: 371 ✭✭✭

Great specimen and stories. Congratulations on your acquisition.

• Options
    RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 866 ✭✭✭✭

Absolutely love the matte finish on these!
    Impressive pickup!

Chapeau

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. Impressive indeed.

Every time I see one of these I'm a little sad that the regular production coins couldn't have been struck in this relief. De Francisci didn't understand the realities of coinage the way Barber did, but he certainly sculped a beautiful design.

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous. :smile:

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

Incredible. That’s a bucket list coin for sure. Congrats!

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2022 3:43PM

Congratulations on your new acquisition.

Your new coin is an example of how a Peace dollar should look (in a perfect world).

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

Had to do a few face lifts for that one I bet. 👍

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW!

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow and more wow!

• Options
    kirkminkkirkmink Posts: 172 ✭✭✭✭

Incredible

"Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?"- Calvin and Hobbes

• Options
    CircCamCircCam Posts: 235 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats FF, incredible. Really cool to have acquired it 100 years later in 2022 as well.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shes a beauty!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a very special Peace Dollar.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice and thanks for sharing the back story.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally, I don't like Peace Dollars. I like this one!

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

Post #557 is a mic drop. Along with your other 556. Awe inspiring...

Tim

• Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing addition----coins like this elevate your entire collection. Congrats!

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man, I love this coin. Stunning! What a Peace Dollar to own!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing. Thanks for posting.

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2022 3:57PM

Having held these at auction preview the photos in no way do it justice compared to what they look like in hand. <3

Congrats now get off the forum and ogle your newp! ;)

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Floridafacelifter

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/auctionlots?AucCoId=7&AuctionId=391

In case you've not seen the 2014 Goldberg auction info, page 194 (207 in the viewer window)

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very, very wonderful 1922 matte proof Peace dollar! Congratulations on acquiring it!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2022 4:31PM

Very cool Peace Dollar!

A small but illustrious provenance line!

Love that it was in his family and friends through 2014!

@Floridafacelifter said:
    Raymond Thomas Baker (November 22, 1877 – April 28, 1935) was a businessman born in Nevada, educated at Stanford University, and who grew wealthy from investing in gold mining operations. He was appointed Director of the United States Mint by President Woodrow Wilson, an office he held from 1917 to 1922. This coin was in his personal possession from the time it was struck and was passed down through his daughter to a family friend who eventually sold it in 2014.

Of interest, he was Warden of the Nevada State Prison!

• Options
    WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is one of the most beautiful coins I've seen in a long time! What a stunning acquisition! :star::star::star::star::star:

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing your very special collection with us!!!!

Trade $'s
  • Options
    JimWJimW Posts: 540 ✭✭✭✭

I have no words.....:)

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

excuse my Sailor language, but I was one

Oh. Hell! Yes!!

other four letter words could apply

Thank you for continuing to share some of the magnificent examples in your collection!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    Nice coin. Congratulations.

You should probably scrape that ugly green sticker off the beautiful plastic.

[IT WAS A JOKE.]

What do you know those CAC stickers do peel off so easily- haha! Thanks everyone for the kind words- have a wonderful weekend!

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Floridafacelifter I'll add that it great to have it reslabbed with Baker-Simpson-@Floridafacelifter as the provenance :)

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is incredible! What a dream coin. It is so amazing that a forum member owns something like this!
    Congrats

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats and Holy Sheet! That’s beautiful.

What’s the difference between a matte and sandblasted proof?

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a beautiful coin!
    I'm not even gonna ask because if you have to ask..

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Out. Standing.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Floridafacelifter said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    Nice coin. Congratulations.

You should probably scrape that ugly green sticker off the beautiful plastic.

[IT WAS A JOKE.]

What do you know those CAC stickers do peel off so easily- haha! Thanks everyone for the kind words- have a wonderful weekend!

I've always preferred Matte proofs to brilliant. And that is officially my favorite peace dollar ever. I've never been a fan of the coin, but the matte proof is just outstanding. I have a whole new appreciation for the type.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2022 7:27PM

@skier07 said:

Nothing, really. Although technically all sandblasted proofs are matte but all matte need not be sandblasted.

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats, You make Your Dreams Come True.
    Awesome

• Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never knew these existed. Nice write up and congratulations on owning a great piece of history. (Pun intended) :)

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. What a coin! Beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kudos, that has to one of the most beautiful and iconic stealth twentieth century presentation pieces.

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spectacular piece.

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shame they couldn’t have all been struck that well. What a conversation piece! Congrats!

• Options
    justindanjustindan Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that is amazing.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holy crap!

• Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

Breathtaking coin. Congrats & thanks for sharing it with us!

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@skier07 said:

Nothing, really. Although technically all sandblasted proofs are matte but all matte need not be sandblasted.

Not quite.

Matte proofs were made when the dies were sandblasted.

Sandblast proofs were made when the actual coin was struck as a Satin proof, and then the coin was sandblasted.

The OP coin is technically a sandblast proof, but when the coin is that amazing, who cares what the label says?

• Options
    dunkleosteus430dunkleosteus430 Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭

@FlyingAl said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@skier07 said:

Not quite.

Sandblast proofs were made when the actual coin was struck as a Satin proof, and then the coin was sandblasted.

The OP coin is technically a sandblast proof, but when the coin is that amazing, who cares what the label says?

It's crazy how many ways the mint has made coins look different. How many terms are used to describe proofs? Mirror, matte, satin, brilliant, sandblast, reverse proof, enhanced reversed proof, not to mention other special finishes, like "the other satin" that's included in mint sets, enhanced uncirculated, 1964-1968 SMS coins, the unique (?) "Roman finish" Saint Gaudens double eagle, the rare "antique finish" peace dollars, probably many others that I'm forgetting, then countless other "experimental finish coins," like the Chapman and Zerbe special strike Morgans in the same year, and the 1927 special strike buffalo nickels, and several other specially made coins from the 19th century that I can't recall that didn't qualify as proofs. Then of course, proof-like, DMPL, Cameo, and DCAM/UCAM designations. Almost forgot the official colorized coins made in recent years.
    Boy, working at the mint would be so much fun, at least a hundred years ago. Just imagine blasting sand at a coin... Then having it sell for half a million dollars a century later.

Young Numismatist

• Options

@dunkleosteus430 said:

@FlyingAl said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@skier07 said:

Not quite.

It's crazy how many ways the mint has made coins look different. How many terms are used to describe proofs? Mirror, matte, satin, brilliant, sandblast, reverse proof, enhanced reversed proof, not to mention other special finishes, like "the other satin" that's included in mint sets, enhanced uncirculated, 1964-1968 SMS coins, the unique (?) "Roman finish" Saint Gaudens double eagle, the rare "antique finish" peace dollars, probably many others that I'm forgetting, then countless other "experimental finish coins," like the Chapman and Zerbe special strike Morgans in the same year, and the 1927 special strike buffalo nickels, and several other specially made coins from the 19th century that I can't recall that didn't qualify as proofs. Then of course, proof-like, DMPL, Cameo, and DCAM/UCAM designations. Almost forgot the official colorized coins made in recent years.
    Boy, working at the mint would be so much fun, at least a hundred years ago. Just imagine blasting sand at a coin... Then having it sell for half a million dollars a century later.

I count satin, sandblast, matte, brilliant (mirror and brilliant are synonymous) , and reverse proof and its related issues, as well as enhanced uncirculated. I will also count the SMS coins of 1965-67.

Everything else in your post I wouldn't count as relating to proofs (PL, DMPL were within tolerances and not considered special to mint staff) or something I would want to see in hand myself before calling them proofs or something special.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file