Home U.S. Coin Forum

Garage sale find today. ++Looks like the S was added...... ++

LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 5, 2022 3:19PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Edited 8-5-22 - Finally found my microscope and can now tell that the S was added - shoot! Couldn't make it out for sure with my loupe. So, it was too good to be true.

I've never found a 09-S VDB in circulation - does a garage sale count??

Small box of toy guns with 3 Lincoln cents - this was one of them.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Comments

• FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

The pictures aren't very clear, so I don't think there's any way to tell for sure right now, but that mintmark does appear a bit blobbish. Other than that I don't see any red flags, and the mintmark does appear to match one of the four known positions.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• bennybravobennybravo Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭

Heck yeah it counts! Congrats!!!!

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it looks like a real 09-S VDB (the N in United looks good and spacing of the periods appear to be good too), but the images are far from optimal... very cool if it's real. B)

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great find. If it’s real, you hit the jackpot. If it’s fake, you have a great conversation piece.

Mr_Spud

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it's real it counts!. 👍🏻

Let's see the toy guns!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's up with that price? Maybe an old price on what they thought was a 1909S?

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Appears to be real but we need better pics. Congrats if it is real. B)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

Maybe that price includes the toy guns.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

If you've lived long enough you remember those prices for a S VDB. I sold one as a kid in the early 60s for $16.00.

Congrats to the OP! Looks like nice woody envelop toning to boot.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

If only you knew a coin dealer with a good camera who could take professional quality photos, like he uses for selling on fleaBay.... nah.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ever since my CoolPix died, I've had trouble getting good pictures. Those are with an iPhone - will try later with the Leica M240 - 24 megapixels, baby! :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Need better pics but big congrats if genuine.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would love better pics, before committing, but looks good so far. If so, something every coin collector dreams of. Congrats.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

anyone selling counterfeit coins for 25 cents is not selling counterfeit coins for 25 cents.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty good score at a yard sale.
    Even with the low res photos, I'm seeing lines in the left wheat ear,
    which suggests G-6 to VG-8.

• NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

If confirmed genuine, it's a score!

• WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please tell me you bought some of the toy guns...?

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    anyone selling counterfeit coins for 25 cents is not selling counterfeit coins for 25 cents.

Dollars

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@derryb said:

Dollars

dysxiale

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:
    Ever since my CoolPix died, I've had trouble getting good pictures. Those are with an iPhone - will try later with the Leica M240 - 24 megapixels, baby! :D

Come visit and I’ll take some photos for you

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a great find, if authentic.... Cannot ascertain the VDB, hope to see better pictures. Sure hope it is real.... Cheers, RickO

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find! Congrats! :)

Looks genuine to me.

BTW, the center line on the "B" is diagonal - looks flat in the picture. My photo skills have gone to pot! :wink:

• 2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭

awesome. always appreciate the shared fines/wins.

WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:
    My photo skills have gone to pot! :wink:

maybe, maybe not. there is a chance your camera lens had a fingerprint on it or just some schmutz from your hand, if you are using a camera phone.

for someone with 9 figures in coins, surely you have a decent camera phone? even if just a spare to take pics? $200 would get you a really decent one. i paid $60 and my images would blow those outta the water with very little effort. insult, no. encourage, yes! B)

asking us to authenticate from images like that (of course we CAN) is just mean dude.

so i took the artistic rendering of the coin from the op, or is it a pic? and rotated, made the mm/date lines and it matches die 4 but the mm looks weird but of course, it is quite blurry so if the mm looks right in hand for ya, i'd say you have the real-deal and an obvious heck of a bargain!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

From your pics it looks genuine. Grade I'd guess low side of VF.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way cool, congrats

• CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the experts here say/think it is authentic, I would send it to PCGS ASAP. Awesome find! :)

Lance - iPhone 13 pro ....... :wink:

• Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have cried tears of joy on the way home! Congrats!

• tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the encased cent in there. Can I ask how much you paid for the whole box or would that guarantee you receiving the coveted "You Suck" award?

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tommy44 said:
    I like the encased cent in there. Can I ask how much you paid for the whole box or would that guarantee you receiving the coveted "You Suck" award?

I think he earned and probably paid $25 for everything as hopefully there wouldn't be a price tag on it but the box instead!

$25 - I could've waited until 1/2 price Sunday, but didn't want to take the chance!

Things were in general aggressively priced.

@Lakesammman said:
    Lance - iPhone 13 pro ....... :wink:

good grief man. i have an iphone 6s so yours is 2.17x better than mine!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no idea of authenticity but my question is why is there a darkness around the mint mark and no where else?

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing find. Congrats......

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks authentic to me especially in the 1970's flip with a $25.00 price tag.

@Coinscratch said:
    Looks authentic to me especially in the 1970's flip with a $25.00 price tag.

ironically, that is really a red flag due to the lack of common knowledge of how to authenticate during periods like that.

that is why so many fakes come/came in old albums.

we are really fortunate to have the instant access with words and pictures and archival abilities compared to those in the past and while there were some that did fantastic with what they had at the time, it is nothing by comparison to what we have.

i recall my first year or so in numismatics 2009 or so, that a couple/few dealers/collectors told me how fortunate i am, even at that time, to have access to what i did/do because of just how much faster one can learn/find answers. fwiw

:)

did you ever get through those many rolls and post pics yet?

@LanceNewmanOCC Still working on them, four or five projects going on at the same time.

We’re the fakes more prevalent then or now? You would think that the odds of this being a fake would be really low considering the factors involved.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:
    @LanceNewmanOCC Still working on them, four or five projects going on at the same time.

We’re the fakes more prevalent then or now? You would think that the odds of this being a fake would be really low considering the factors involved.

The fakes were quite prevalent both then and now.

I don't think the "factors " make it any more or less likely. The coin is fairly scarce and so your statistics don't change. Personally, I would think it more likely to find loose in a large hoard of cents than in a 2x2 by itself.

@jmlanzaf yes, that makes sense if they were faked that much and apparently they are. I found an 09 but it was missing the S :)

Not sure why it looks like a flip - it was just loose in the box - I laid it on top of the box when I took the photo.

Looking at it again, I can see why you though it was in a flip! Strange .....

@Lakesammman said:
    Not sure why it looks like a flip - it was just loose in the box - I laid it on top of the box when I took the photo.

Looking at it again, I can see why you though it was in a flip! Strange .....

Yea, sorry now I see it. The shadow makes it look like its in a flip with no cellophane.

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh my.
    WTG!

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats!

Frank

BHNC #203

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights