Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Garage sale find today. ++Looks like the S was added...... ++

2»

Comments

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's next, @Lakesammman? A 1995-W gold proof set in Regency holders find at an Antique Mall?

Tim

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no idea of authenticity but my question is why is there a darkness around the mint mark and no where else?

I was wondering the same thing when I saw the picture - finally found my microscope and it's metal that's been moved around the added "S".

I couldn't make it out with my loupe but at higher mag, it's obvious ...... dang it!

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bsshog40 said:
    Dang, awesome find!

Not that I'm complaining or jealous, but I never get lucky like that.

Way to go.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 5, 2022 3:48PM

@pointfivezero said:
    What's next, @Lakesammman? A 1995-W gold proof set in Regency holders find at an Antique Mall?

Tim

This is next for @Lakesammman :)
    So I went to the thrift store and bought this for $15 :D

Silver Eagles Nest -1969- 19.25 oz of .999 silver Original Set

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stunning!!! 👍🏻

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:
    I have no idea of authenticity but my question is why is there a darkness around the mint mark and no where else?

I was wondering the same thing when I saw the picture - finally found my microscope and it's metal that's been moved around the added "S".

I couldn't make it out with my loupe but at higher mag, it's obvious ...... dang it!

i am not saying you aren't seeing what you are seeing but mint marks are known, upon close-up inspection, to have a beveled (depressed) area going all around the mintmark, depending on the angle it was punched. the divit around the mm comes from the part of the metal from the punch (that is higher up than the letter/number) and from getting hit really hard and going deeper than the mintmark was designed for.

IF that is what is going on here, which would be odd, that the matched up the position so precisely, there should be no visible chip in the upper loop.

i made a mistake of this LONG ago with a 16-d i was buying in a big collection. told the seller that i had some reservations about the coin, paid a premium for it but nowhere near an authentic dime since they were selling and wanting to move on (a widow) but after it came back from pcgs with a group of other coins, they graded it. the SOLE reason i made that statement to the seller was because of that area around the mm and since that time i've seen that effect on MANY MANY coins, including many S VDB.

if you can hold your ip 13 phone steady with some decent lighting, it will be able to give us the S and VDB clear as day. just don't crop the images. upload the originals. YOU CAN DO IT~!

fwiw

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check for the die chip in the S.

• Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭

bummer. was pulling for you.

WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file