Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What Summer Slowdown?

ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 28, 2022 2:44PM in U.S. Coin Forum

This has been a very busy coin summer for me in both buying and selling. Plus I have to build a whole new website with the deadline being one month from about now. I usually try to get most of work done in the first 5 months of the year so I can Play all summer long. Not this summer. At least my buddy brought me fresh bluefin tuna yesterday from a 200 pound bluefin caught the day before. Super delicious.

Post a cool coin you bought (or sold) this summer.

Here is a cool one I bought from Fred's Collection ....

Comments

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

not to stir a debate but that coin almost on it's own shows they don't grade the unstruck area or at least not on this one.

the coin is lovely!

as a side-note, do not the bluefin, even in the 200lb range bring a major $$$ premium to sell? if not, perhaps they mandated only a certain amount to be sold in certain weight classes and regions?

i bet you've had a blast going through his offerings, bidding, researching, deciding, buying, etc...

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    edited July 28, 2022 2:47PM

Yes only the struck portion is graded.

My friends and I are not commercial fisherman (yet anyway) so we can not sell our catch.

We always share super fresh fish with each other and other fisherman as they appreciate it the most.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

It has been crazy all summer. I've had one of my best sales months ever and my cash flow is negative $50k. I'm actually tired of buying...

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins ... You are correct about the flavor of fresh caught fish.... It loses something once frozen. I notice that first when I used to salmon fish when I lived in Northern CA....
    Glad to hear business has been good....Seems to mesh with coin show reports as well. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like you are right there with all the dealers I work with. They have all said July has been a record month and August is setting up to be great. Looks like 2022 will be a record year for dealers.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    not to stir a debate but that coin almost on it's own shows they don't grade the unstruck area or at least not on this one.

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Yes only the struck portion is graded.

There's some debate as to whether the unstruck portion was included in the grade for this @FredWeinberg coin. It's been cracked out so it will be interesting to see the new grade.

Fred Weinberg's 1880-S Off-Center Morgan Dollar Error Coin

• Options
    edited July 29, 2022 8:09AM

This has certainly been a @FredWeinberg Summer! Very nice win @ErrorsOnCoins!

I won this one from the @FredWeinberg Collection.

I edited out the grade because I posted it as a GTG, but no one wanted to guess :(

I will say that the unstruck portion of planchets are graded by PCGS! Test your unstruck planchet grading skills here:

PCGS Blank Planchet Grading Set

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes , it's been busier than normal. A few younger guys with a following on the TikTok app with thousands of followers have decimated my inventory; and bullion sales is a waiting game, now.

Odd thing: this one guy on tik tok has been selling there two years and has 3400 followers. I have been on eBay for 21 years with 324 followers.

• Options

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Yes , it's been busier than normal. A few younger guys with a following on the TikTok app with thousands of followers have decimated my inventory; and bullion sales is a waiting game, now.

Odd thing: this one guy on tik tok has been selling there two years and has 3400 followers. I have been on eBay for 21 years with 324 followers.

Sounds like TikTok is the place to be!

Even Instagram is copying TikTok now.

• Options

I only acquired two of FW's 11 cent pieces, I wish I had gone for more ...

• Options

Uploading content to my new website is super tedious.

I absolutely do not like that type of work.

I hate it so much that I spent 17 hours straight on Thursday uploading content after days on end doing the same to finally finish that part of the project.

Now to the design part which is way more fun.

• Options
    edited August 22, 2022 10:15AM

Trying to get a domain name transferred from one company to another is like pulling teeth.

One email mail request last week. One phone call last week. Another phone call last week. And yet a third phone call today, with promise of a transfer within 24 hrs.

• Options
    jkrkjkrk Posts: 967 ✭✭✭✭✭

No summer slowdown? Yep.

June started a bit slow. I pulled back from buying much expecting a slow summer. June sales ended up strong. Same with July.
    Added a few items to the store in August.. then bit the bullet and just put the store on vacation mode the past couple of weeks as I scoured around to see if I could purchase anything that made sense.

The summer has not gone exactly as planned. :'(

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Trying to get a domain name transferred from one company to another is like pulling teeth.

One email mail request last week. One phone call last week. Another phone call last week. And yet a third phone call today, with promise of a transfer within 24 hrs.

I agree........that's why I have my 16 year old son do stuff like that :D
    He designed, coded and sold his first commercial web site at 15 years old...........I'm proud of him.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    edited August 26, 2022 5:33PM

I got some time off yesterday to go and catch dorado

We caught 8 Dorado for 2 people on a private boat just 6 miles off the San Diego Coast.

I am making grilled mahi-mahi burritos for dinner tonight ....

Double Hookup ....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file