Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

GTG: $20 Saint (Grade Posted!)

DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 21, 2022 6:20PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

GTG: $20 Saint (Grade Posted!)

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS65

I'm going to go out on a bit of a limb here and say that's striking weakness and not wear.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU58

AU58 if that is wear across her front side and MS64 if not. I just picked up my second 1928.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU58

Looks like a bit of wear. Nice coin thou.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    PickwickjrPickwickjr Posts: 556 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say au58

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS64

Looks like a 64.... Was going to say 63, but figured the magnification was making it look worse than it would in hand. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CoinHunter4CoinHunter4 Posts: 311 ✭✭✭✭
    MS64

It looks MS--better than a 63 but not quite as good as a 65.

Young Numismatist. Over 20 successful transactions including happy BST transactions with @CoinHoarder, @Namvet69, @Bruce7789, @TeacherCollector, @JWP, @CuKevin, @CoinsExplorer, @greencopper, @PapiNE and @privatecoin

"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing" -Benjamin Franklin

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS63

63 for me, but nice!

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2022 2:15PM
    AU58

It’s a nice Saint but would not offer more than AU money (my usual offer 10 pct behind CDN Bid) for it if buying raw. Has some wear, slight contact marks primary focal areas. Even if somehow went MS can’t c it above 62. It’s just not all there. Dark areas on high points, average luster not flashy at all. It’s definitely had some contact.

It looks very much like a PCGs 58 Saint bought from bourse chairman (known for decades) few mo back at show setup - at CDN bid which I later sold to an investor at same show bid plus 10 pct. Bingo paid my show expenses.

OP Coin: Not something I would call a MS Coin nor pay MS money for. I guess pass.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2022 10:04AM
    MS65

I am with FlyingAl ☺️

@FlyingAl said:
    I'm going to go out on a bit of a limb here and say that's striking weakness and not wear.

• Options
    JeffersonFrogJeffersonFrog Posts: 829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS64

The pictures make it look like wear, but save for a few contact marks, the fields are really clean, so MS64.

If we were all the same, the world would be an incredibly boring place.

Tommy

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,047 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS64

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS65

Very quiet fields. Hairlines and chatter are what kill the grade for graders. A few marks in grade sensitive areas but the images are blown up so in hand the luster may make them more inconspicuous.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU58

I think it's rub and not a strike issue.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    dunkleosteus430dunkleosteus430 Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    MS62

I don't think it could be higher than 63, but maybe as low as 58.

Young Numismatist

• Options
    MS64

@dunkleosteus430 said:

On the other hand, I don' think it could be lower than 63. ;)

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    mtn_scoutmtn_scout Posts: 98 ✭✭✭
    AU55

I think it should be a AU55 but my guess given how Saint's are graded is 62-63.

• Options
    dunkleosteus430dunkleosteus430 Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2022 2:15PM
    MS62

@MFeld said:

@dunkleosteus430 said:

On the other hand, I don' think it could be lower than 63. ;)

I'm still working on my grading. I don't see too many gold coins, so I just looked at a few pics on CoinFacts to compare. :-)
    GTGs really help.

Young Numismatist

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,419 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS64

@MFeld said:
    At the risk of having placed both feet in my mouth, in the event that the coin grades a lot lower than my guess…
    For those who graded it AU… one hopefully major clue to its condition is the appearance of the fields. They don’t exhibit the typical marks and flaws of a circulated coin. But rather, they look like most choice Unc. (or better) examples.

Agree with this. Graders look for wear in the fields to determine if a Saint has circulated. The rub on the high points is from the coins sliding around in the bags and from being counted and handled at the mint and is typical for Mint State Saints.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    MS65

Years ago a large dealer in state sold me a $20 Saint and said "don't send it in for grading" as it had a light "scratch". It wasn't that conspicuous and the coin graded MS65.

• Options
    WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2022 4:37PM
    MS63

First thought was MS62 because of all the little detracting marks/dings on the obverse rim and the rays on both obverse and reverse but I think they're probably small enough that they wouldn't count against the grade, I"m gonna go 63.

Unless that picture was taken before it was slabbed, it looks to me like it's in an ANACS slab, I don't see many Saints in those slabs, interesting...

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

• Options
    scotty4449scotty4449 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS64

@MFeld said:
    At the risk of having placed both feet in my mouth, in the event that the coin grades a lot lower than my guess…

For those who grade/graded it AU - granted, the obverse device, in particular, displays what some would classify as rub/wear. However, that characteristic is present in varying degrees on most Saints. And one (hopefully) major clue to its condition is the appearance of the fields. They don’t exhibit the typical marks and flaws of a circulated coin. But rather, they look like most choice Unc. (or better) examples.

Agreed! Here is my Saint graded MS65. It shows an almost identical pattern.

• Options
    MS64

Will post the grade tonight after I grab some slab shots.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS62

Ms-62

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS64

Some Gold is just harder to grade than others

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS65

Nice!

• Options
    MS64

@Cougar1978 said:
    It’s a nice Saint but would not offer more than AU money (my usual offer 10 pct behind CDN Bid) for it if buying raw. Has some wear, slight contact marks primary focal areas. Even if somehow went MS can’t c it above 62. It’s just not all there. Dark areas on high points, average luster not flashy at all. It’s definitely had some contact.

It looks very much like a PCGs 58 Saint bought from bourse chairman (known for decades) few mo back at show setup - at CDN bid which I later sold to an investor at same show bid plus 10 pct. Bingo paid my show expenses.

OP Coin: Not something I would call a MS Coin nor pay MS money for. I guess pass.

Pinging you since you gave @MFeld a LOL reaction for taking the time to explain how gold is graded especially in regards to tolerances for high point friction on classic gold, and where you actually look for signs of wear on the same.

Kinda classless imho. So here's your woefully incorrect breakdown quoted for future reference. :sunglasses:

• Options
    csdotcsdot Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭

Dang, just saw this and missed the chance to vote before the MS63 reveal That said, 75% chance that coin would grade MS64 today.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2022 9:23PM
    MS65

Honestly she is a 65 pretty 😍 with a very slight rubs on her left knee as well as her toes

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS65

Send that baby to CAC!

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS61

Based on some recent pcgs submissions and various GTGs, I am a terrible grader. I voted 61.

Nothing against the coin but I see a flat nose, rub on breast and thigh, what looks to me like an average strike at best, and some contact marks but pretty clean fields. Reading the comments above, this seems like pretty typical MS bag marks. So how does this get to a 63 with a consensus agreeing it would upgrade/CAC? Am I misinterpreting/overweighting the contact marks? Are 28s known for weak strikes? Something else?

Thank you for any insight, trying to get better!

• Options
    CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭
    MS64

@Cougar1978 said:

I always enjoy reading your grading analyses, particularly the certainty with which you proclaim yourself right and people like @MFeld as definitively wrong.

Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,419 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS64

I guessed 64 but if I knew it was in an early generation NGC slab, I would have guessed a point lower since they were ultra conservative back then. In any event, it's a very nice coin in a neat older generation slab and the last date in the series that is affordable for the average collector. B)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS64

Nice coin either way

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS64

Looks like MS-64.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS64

I almost voted MS-63 as between 63 (old grading on early slabs) instead of MS-64 newer slabs.

A large photo always makes the coin look worse.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2022 4:58AM
    MS64

@lermish said:
    Based on some recent pcgs submissions and various GTGs, I am a terrible grader. I voted 61.

Nothing against the coin but I see a flat nose, rub on breast and thigh, what looks to me like an average strike at best, and some contact marks but pretty clean fields. Reading the comments above, this seems like pretty typical MS bag marks. So how does this get to a 63 with a consensus agreeing it would upgrade/CAC? Am I misinterpreting/overweighting the contact marks? Are 28s known for weak strikes? Something else?

I think you were fair in describing the coin as you did.

Probably the most difficult aspect of grading Saints is the typical “rub”, “stacking friction” or flat spots which are seen on the breast and knee in the very large majority of instances. And the design is one that doesn’t seem to offer many examples that would be described as fully or sharply struck. Bottom line, while others might disagree, I think it’s fair to say that the series is graded to a different standard from most others. The one somewhat similar series I can think of is Standing Liberty Quarters. Many examples - even choice uncirculated ones - have a somewhat flat knee, that appears to have “rub” on it.

• Options
    MS64

@lermish said:

I don't have a ton of experience with gold, but my general strategy with it is to grade it like silver and add a point, unless I'm going 58. If I'm going 58, I bump it to 62. At this point I am starting to break away from that thinking, but as a basic strategy, it is solid.

It's a softer metal than silver by a good bit so tolerances are a bit looser in terms of grading.

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS61

Thanks @MFeld and @DelawareDoons !

• Options
    MS65

I wouldn't be surprised if at cac it gets a gold sticker.

• Options
    MS64

@logger7 said:

I don't think the luster (or copper spots) are there for a gold bean. Sure gonna try though.

• Options
    PumpkinheadPumpkinhead Posts: 38 ✭✭✭

Looks like a Euro 63 to me. If the luster is better than the photos show, possibly a 64…

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS64

Coins don't circulate and only show wear on the high points! The luster wears faster.

Sure is a nice 63.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS63

@DelawareDoons said:

@logger7 said:

I don't think the luster (or copper spots) are there for a gold bean. Sure gonna try though.

It won't get a gold bean, but it should go to cac, agreed, if it was mine I would leave it in the holder as is, jmho.

• Options
    MS64

@marcmoish said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@logger7 said:

It won't get a gold bean, but it should go to cac, agreed, if it was mine I would leave it in the holder as is, jmho.

If you don’t think it will get a gold sticker - and I don’t either, even though it looks like a 64 to me - why send it to CAC? What’s the upside?

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS63

@MFeld said:

@marcmoish said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@logger7 said:

If you don’t think it will get a gold sticker - and I don’t either, even though it looks like a 64 to me - why send it to CAC? What’s the upside?

Bragging rights, nothing else. 😏

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file