Home Precious Metals
Options

Anybody Buying? What are you Buying?

Mike59Mike59 Posts: 297 ✭✭✭

I’ve been buying PM’s for years and never sold an ounce of any. Normally I’d be a strong buyer during a pullback like this but the premiums are ridiculous ( IMO). Last week I bought a $10 Gold Liberty as a coin purchase. Aside from that no other PM for months. What are you buying And why? I think the high premiums the new normal, do u agree?

MIKE B.

Comments

• Options
    PppPpp Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭

I am always buying gold and silver. My last buy was $90fv of 90% last weekend at 14x and I plan to buy some gold today or tomorrow.
    I view pms like a speculative stock where I use money I don’t need anytime soon and it’s part (a small percentage) of a full diversification of assets in my portfolio.
    Premiums don’t scare me as long as the buy price relative to the sell price makes sense for me.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold. RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought a $5 gold piece last week but have otherwise avoided buying silver at these premiums.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not purchased any PM's during this dip. For those considering buying... Might consider it soon if an opportunity with low premiums presents itself. Not sure how much longer this dip will continue... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not buying for stacking purposes but if I see something I really like I'll buy.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm buying GOAU. It's on sale. :)

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ordered another 1000 oz ag.... for another buyer ...down in the gutter , brudder.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 25, 2022 7:44AM

Bought more gold in the last week than I have in any other single week in probably 6 or 8 years.
    But it's more a function of asset diversification than market price.
    The one perk of a diligent investment strategy is keeping to the script. Moving a crap ton of cash into the equities markets (via dollar cost averaging) means that I got to blow a bunch of cash on gold, too.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

it's more a function of asset diversification than market price.

This makes more sense than trying to time anything.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2022 8:54AM

Picked up a Gold Maple Leaf, Gold American Eagle and gold Austrian Philharmonic for $5100.

Would have preferred $4800 but that would have been Pawn Shop &/ or Putin's prices.

Also got a few of those overpriced 2022-W burnished eagles from the mint. Crazy expensive there. Three of those cost ( just under) $8100. Who is ripping who ?

• Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭

The premiums are too high on gold and silver. Gold stocks have been taken a beating.
    I’m considering putting a gold stock portfolio together.
    Requirements:
    Company must be profitable.
    Company must pay a dividend.
    At least my money won’t be dead, it will be collecting dividends.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options

Went to LCS today. He wanted $245 for 10 oz silver bars and only pre-33 was a raw 1904 $20 Lib in XF $1950. I have 2 already and actually left empty handed. First time in years I left empty. There’s a online coin shop GoldenEagle.com price’s ok. Selling 10 oz bars for $226. They always have sale items and they have .9999 1 oz Britannia’s at $1810. I’ve been watching them for a while ( trust issues) but I think I’ll make a small buy like 1 oz gold and see how it goes.
    Mike

MIKE B.

• Options
    conrad99conrad99 Posts: 345 ✭✭✭

Au. Bought my fair share last night (though the premiums are indeed painful) because I wanted to get in before the collapse! Oh wait.

• Options

Bought, sold and ordered more, during the past week.
    Mostly the stuff blitzdude denigrates. Call it gutter but it feels like money to me.

• Options

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Mostly the stuff blitzdude denigrates. Call it gutter but it feels like money to me.

Nothing wrong with buying and selling. Just don't hoard the stuff. There's people that have been hoarding the stuff 4+ decades now and they are still in the gutter. lol RGDS!

• Options
    edited July 30, 2022 12:24PM

half oz. ms69 FS gold spouse @888.25 after ebay bucks and CC rebate.
    two one oz. ms70 gold buffalos @1823.25 ea. after ebay bucks and CC rebate.

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been buying Morgans and Peace dollars and some silver bullion too.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    hiijackerhiijacker Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

I have been looking and been able to buy a few vintage silver bars. Hard to find though,

Buyer of all vintage Silver Bars. PM me
    Cashback from Mr. Rebates
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

Nothing wrong with buying and selling. Just don't hoard the stuff. There's people that have been hoarding the stuff 4+ decades now and they are still in the gutter. lol RGDS!

No, there isn't any such people.

Twenty years ago silver was about $4.60 per oz.

• Options

Bid on what would have been my highest graded Saint. A PCGS MS-66+ 1927 last night on GC. Had highest bid until if asleep 10 minutes before auction ended. I’m kicking myself but I did get a $20 lib (although not a high grade)

MIKE B.

• Options

@dcarr said:

@blitzdude said:

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

Yes 4+ decades ago gutter was $50ozt.

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭✭

In light of the recent drop in silver price I sure have caught silver fever! I can't afford to get all that much but I hope I can get all the silver FDR dimes and silver GW quarters I can and maybe if I'm real lucky a few Silver Eagles (I've been thinking of doing those since my college days; if only I did so back then when silver was $5ish/oz!!).

Just so everyone here knows, I'm getting these for collecting...all that stuff about investment and hedge against inflation and whatnot is just a nice little side/fringe benefit, at least for my purposes.

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 867 ✭✭✭✭

Closing on another property Friday!

• Options

@Relaxn said:
    Closing on another property Friday!

Congratulations!! They ain’t making any more land..

MIKE B.

• Options
    edited August 4, 2022 6:23PM

took advantage of the recent ebay bucks. $1823.25 ea. after ebay bucks and credit card rebate. took my chances with a red flag seller on the 2006, got him to lower his price and then asked if he had another one which he then listed at the same lower price. Found out that the ebay bucks does come through when using the "make offer" option. TPG site confirms the cert #'s, Sigma confirms the gold content.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:

@blitzdude said:

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

40 & 11 years ago, silver briefly hit $50.00. Great asset to speculate, in buying and selling, but not hoarding.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

Uh-Oh!

• Options

@derryb said:
    Uh-Oh!

We need to be careful If Cramer says buy!! If he’s buying I’m selling…

MIKE B.

• Options

Only down >$20 so far. Cramer must be losing his touch.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

In all fairness....He's been saying that for about 2 years and see what that got us.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Meltdown said:
    I bought a $5 gold piece last week but have otherwise avoided buying silver at these premiums.

+!. Silver premiums are to high

• Options

@blitzdude said:

@dcarr said:

@blitzdude said:

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

Yes 4+ decades ago gutter was $50ozt.

45 years ago it was under $5.

Your implication that people bought silver at $50 in 1980 and have continued to hoard it at that price for 42 years is not at all accurate.

For one thing, "hoarding" means that someone has continued to accumulate the item over a period of time. Anybody who bought silver over a span of time would not have paid the $50 spike price the whole time.

I was there in 1980 when the silver price had an artificial spike due to an attempted corner on the market. $50 was the "spot" price (very briefly). NOBODY ever paid that for physical silver. EVERYBODY was selling. The lines at coin shops were out the door and down the street. The coin shops would buy the silver, take their cut, and ship it off to refiners who were busy making it into 1000-oz bars to satisfy COMEX delivery contracts to the Hunt brothers. The most you could get for 90% "junk" silver coin was 21 times face value (and that was only for a very short time). That represented an extreme NEGATIVE PREMIUM at the time. A couple months later and the 90% junk silver was down to about 14 times face. And a couple years later it was down to about 4 times face where it hovered for quite a few years.

So if a person had bought 90% "junk" silver coin on a regular schedule over many years they would have done reasonably well. At least, their purchasing power would have been preserved.

Don't buy the spikes and don't sell the troughs. That is true with ANYTHING, not just silver.

• Options

Yeah 6 months ago gutter was $26 today it's under $20. Stack on Sonny.

• Options

Just bought a 2006 Raw Buffalo today. Paid 6.1/2 percent over spot and was happy to get it. I also Agree with dcarr. I have rolls of 90% dimes from the 1969 that cost me $5.60 a roll and ive never stopped buying 90%. I would say my average is around 14 X. A bit high but ill take it. Good thing I dont need the money so it will most likely go to my kids. I love Silver, Gold, stock , Real Estate, Fixed income investments. I try to to be as diversified as possible. The one thing I dont do is tell anybody that the thing they collect is garbage.
    JMHO,
    Mike

MIKE B.

• Options
    edited August 6, 2022 12:55PM

@blitzdude said:

Why so mean? This is a friendly forum.

MIKE B.

• Options

@Mike59 said:

@blitzdude said:

Stating fact is not being mean. Gutter metal has been a terrible investment and you just confirmed it 2 posts above. You've been hoarding 90% since 1969 and your average is 14x which is the current 2022 price. Looks like it would be about a wash is 1969 dollars were equal to 2022 dollars.

Diversification is wonderful, I've bought gutter, even made some $$$ flipping it. Can't say it was one of my better moves. THKS!

• Options

@blitzdude said:

@Mike59 said:

@blitzdude said:

Stating fact is not being mean. Gutter metal has been a terrible investment and you just confirmed it 2 posts above. You've been hoarding 90% since 1969 and your average is 14x which is the current 2022 price. Looks like it would be about a wash is 1969 dollars were equal to 2022 dollars.

Diversification is wonderful, I've bought gutter, even made some $$$ flipping it. Can't say it was one of my better moves. THKS!

The current wholesale price is 15.5 times face value. If you sell on eBay, even after fees and shipping, you can NET close to 20 times face (a little less for Roosevelt dimes, more for everything else).

• Options
    edited August 6, 2022 1:48PM

@blitzdude said:

@Mike59 said:

@blitzdude said:

@blitzdude said:

"Stack on Sonny" ?

That has nothing to do with any "facts".
    It is just another rude comment.

• Options
    semikeycollectorsemikeycollector Posts: 931 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buying rare liberty $5 gold.

• Options
    edited August 6, 2022 3:37PM

@blitzdude said:

Gutter metal has been a terrible investment and you just confirmed it 2 posts above. You've been hoarding 90% since 1969 and your average is 14x which is the current 2022 price. Looks like it would be about a wash is 1969 dollars were equal to 2022 dollars.

silver's volatility makes it an excellent investment for those that understand what "buy low, sell high" means. Sorry that you thought you were supposed to buy it and put it under the mattress. Hopefully we have taught you something even if the lesson comes a little late.

• Options
    edited August 6, 2022 5:37PM

@derryb said:

@blitzdude said:

Gutter metal has been a terrible investment and you just confirmed it 2 posts above. You've been hoarding 90% since 1969 and your average is 14x which is the current 2022 price. Looks like it would be about a wash is 1969 dollars were equal to 2022 dollars.

silver's volatility makes it an excellent investment for those that understand what "buy low, sell high" means. Sorry that you thought you were supposed to buy it and put it under the mattress. Hopefully we have taught you something even if the lesson comes a little late.

The only thing under my mattress is a 4000 sq ft house in a very upscale neighborhood. I collect I don’t hoard. We’ll maybe I hoard gold but my average is way under spot. I just find it disgusting that u would use a coin/PM forum to tell others that they collect a “Gutter metal” . Listen pal I know what the gutter looks like and it’s not silver, trust me.
    Remember when you were a kid and u were told “ if u have nothing nice to say don’t say anything!!!!!

MIKE B.

• Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another $50 top out and it won't make any difference. Best of luck to us all !!!

• Options

Remember when you were a kid and u were told “ if u have nothing nice to say don’t say anything!!!!!

Consider that the trolls are keeping the rest of us intellectually honest. He can't help it if he bought at the market top and has been clinging to the hope that someday he will break even. Most of us here don't think that way - we are either hedging, speculating or investing - but we aren't badmouthing the market when it doesn't do exactly what we want. Most of us here are realists.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:
    Most of us here don't think that way - we are either hedging, speculating or investing

You forgot "insurance". Haha

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

Says the expert money manager who backed up the truck to buy bonds, lol.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@cohodk said:

@jmski52 said:
    Most of us here don't think that way - we are either hedging, speculating or investing

Hedging is insurance. Night school might improve things for you. LOL

• Options

Been making weekly stops at Nevada Coin & Jewelry, my local coin store in Las Vegas, and spending about $200 on small 1g gold bars and a few silver rounds. It's all about stack as much as you can, when you can!

B. Lowe
  • Options

Hedging is insurance. Night school might improve things for you. LOL

lol, I had to take a pass at explaining this to him because it does get tedious responding to his pointless provocations.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

Junk 90% silver, when the coins are nice, and the price is right.

And, cheap, as problem free as possible, certified and raw silver dollars.

And, I bought this on the BST a few days ago: