Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

16 Years, 5,000 posts, and 1/10 oz gold eagle - Giveaway - 3 winners

jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 1, 2022 5:26PM in U.S. Coin Forum

16 years ago, to the day, I joined this forum. I just so happen to have also reached my 5,000 post milestone today. It’s been a great learning experience for me to have joined this forum and have such a diverse community to engage with.

Some of my posts were bubble busters, my “for sure” 1969-S DDO was a machine double, Link.
My 1946-S Sans Serif dime find in junk silver was a population 3 find at the time, link, and many posts in between.
I’ve also had a post go “viral” related to the 2010 ATB silver pucks, with thousands of replies link, that was pretty cool at the time.

We’ve had ups and downs. From watching the growth of YN’s that have gone on to successful careers in the coin industry, lost some of our beloved members, had lots of laughs with some crazy posts, banded together to help those in need during a crisis, and even had some drama (who was the Omega poster and where did he go!!). We also can't forget those characters that have received the ban hammer for various infractions I’ve lived vicariously through others with detailed accounts of coin shows, auction disappointments and achievements, and countless posts of great folks sharing stories and pictures of some exceptionally great coins and collections.

However, what I enjoy most about this forum is the community, specifically those that have been steady. Over the years, there have been prolific posters but only a few stand out as being steady. Steady in the sense that when I read their posts, they are gentle with newbie members, understanding with confused members, and patient with persistent posters. But above all, they are respectful and helpful to all members.

I’d like you to take a minute to think of a forum member that stands out as helping you in the development of you as a collector, has been a mentor, or who you think demonstrates the qualities you think are most important to this forum and post some of your best memories. This isn’t a popularity contest, so post a name/handle or not. However, if there is someone that clearly stands out, I’d like to give the gold coin that that member. If we have a standout that gets the 1/10th oz gold eagle, I will also pick a name randomly from all the posters to this thread for another giveaway. What that is I don’t know yet but I’ll make sure it’s nice and I will try to post it to the OP when I get some pictures.

Summary: Giveaway entry ends 31 July, single entry per person/username, enter by sharing a good memory from the forum, and random winner will be selected by random draw on or about the first of August.

Thanks for the good times, here is to another 16 years!

Comments

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OLDCOINDAWG has been a great friend and been kind and generous with my kids and a great friend on and off the forum.
    His PCGS sets have brought me much joy and I’ve loved how much he enjoys putting them together.
    I haven’t been able to get in touch with him for awhile but think of him often.

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

My vote goes to Ricko!🥇

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, but Mike Diamond has to be my number 1.

And than, for fans of Barber coins, I'd have to say:
    Any one who posts to the Michael F Hayes Barber Mega thread:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/924440/the-michael-f-hayes-barber-megathread/p1

I enjoy it and have added a lot of knowledge from the posters there.

They are all amazing Barber collectors.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have always liked Braddicks lowball posts from day one when I joined.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 28, 2022 9:41AM

Good timing on your anniversary date and posting milestone!

As a cherry-picker, I like to post coin images and have others take a whack at the variety type and grade of course. Sheding light on varities helps others who may not have noticed them before.

I would like to recognize @robec for taking quite a few images for me.

Thank you for your input into the forum and may you have many more years to share with us!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on 16 years! One thing on this forum I've learned how to spot fake 1909S VDB cents along with the 1914D cents. Love this forum as it is a wealth of knowledge.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on 14/5000 @jessewvu
    I cannot begin to thank a single individual for the 18 years I have enjoyed this forum(2 or 3 as a lurker). But if I had to pick just one it would be @koynekwest. God I miss Ron. He was so helpful first with my Buffaloes and then with just coins in general. I still read posts and emails we batted back and forth. Bless you Ron.
    If I listed others after Ron, the list would be most of the revered members on this forum and I mean that. They have helped me so many times, both knowingly and unknowingly. Dealers, collectors, newbies and just contributors all with the same love of the same hobby. Thank you PCGS for being the greatest contributor to my existence in the hobby for providing this forum that we all so depend on for our daily and even hourly dosage of our "Friends of Numismatics".
    Jesse, I have read with interest your posts and thank you for being one of the members that we rely on daily to make our day with a post or a coin or a question. I hope your generous gift goes to a most deserving patron of our hobby.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    Congratulations on 14/5000 @jessewvu
    I cannot begin to thank a single individual for the 18 years I have enjoyed this forum(2 or 3 as a lurker). But if I had to pick just one it would be @koynekwest. God I miss Ron. He was so helpful first with my Buffaloes and then with just coins in general. I still read posts and emails we batted back and forth. Bless you Ron.
    If I listed others after Ron, the list would be most of the revered members on this forum and I mean that. They have helped me so many times, both knowingly and unknowingly. Dealers, collectors, newbies and just contributors all with the same love of the same hobby. Thank you PCGS for being the greatest contributor to my existence in the hobby for providing this forum that we all so depend on for our daily and even hourly dosage of our "Friends of Numismatics".
    Jesse, I have read with interest your posts and thank you for being one of the members that we rely on daily to make our day with a post or a coin or a question. I hope your generous gift goes to a most deserving patron of our hobby.
    Jim

Ron Pope was always there when I had a question about things Buffalo. I can't tell you how much his presence is missed by me,.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the anniversaries! Too many to mention...besides what I have learned from folks over the years there have been many who have made this place an enjoyable hangout and I am thankful for that as they have kept things interesting and myself interested!

K

ANA LM
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on this milestone. It's not fair to have to pick cause so many people have been so kind and instructive. @ricko was my first DM and I knew I was gonna stick around. @Paradisefound is also a beautiful generous person, who raised the bar. Many more are listed in my signature box.
    @No Headlights I met at the Baltimore show, a class act. I could go on but it's not necessary cause I'm sticking around for more of the good stuff. @Jzyskowski1 is another CU friend, for sure. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    Bigbuck1975Bigbuck1975 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of great resources here over the years. I appreciate being able to ask for opinions on anything coin related.

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

As many have stated to name only one person would be impossible or unjust.
    In my short 4 years here I have learned and continue to learn from the top 50 posters most of which already named.
    And most of which don’t even know I’m listening ;)
    However, there is one that stands out for me, who has helped, encouraged, and guided my decisions.
    @mannie gray
    Although I haven’t heard much from him lately I would share with you all some of his most judicious wisdom,
    Grade Grumpy!

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the milestone... I might just do something similar when I hit 5K.
    I officially joined the forums in 2007 but lurked for a LONGGG time prior.
    Over the years I've enjoyed all the lively discussions and am legitimately impressed with the amount of collective knowledge here. I hesitate to list all the names for fear of missing someone... but they are legion.
    FYI should I happen to win this, I would like it to go to a YN of your choosing.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Memory is the all the collectors and dealers that with their knowledge have helped me on the way to building my knowledge! Thanks and congrats on the milestone!

• Options
    HoneyMarketHoneyMarket Posts: 804 ✭✭✭✭

Wow...you have a tough job in deciding...there are just too many great forum members/posters here.
    I've only been here a short while, and as such, I'm ignored by most - mostly because I'm uneducated in numismatics.
    But here are three members that have taken the time to correct me or guide me in my posts and I'm most appreciative to them.

MsMorrisine
    MetroD
    Jzyskowski1

BST references available on request

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

I won a proof ASE in someone’s giveaway once. That is a pretty decent memory.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

good idea about mentioning those that have guided/influenced us. i think my list would be around 30-40 members, probably more tbh but not necessarily under the wing type situation but whom i have considered to have positively affected my numismatic journey.

did that math add up right? a little over 1 post a day average for 16 years! gratz sir :)

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on 16 years!!! Have fun with your next 16!!!

The community is a wonderful place.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

I replied to this thread earlier but am still astonished to read latter posts and the members being recognized.
    All are deserving. Maybe the mint could add a few free coins 😂 so there are more winners.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file