Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A Long Beach Report

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 10, 2022 2:54AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I was able to stop by the Long Beach show on Wednesday and Thursday and had a great time. I got to meet some great people and add a lot to my collection.

I was able to stop by some of my favorite dealers and talk to some others. These included Jeff Shevlin & Bill Hyder, David McCarthy & Don Kagin, Mike Kittle, Peter Yeung, MaryAnn Agre, Legend, and others.

Some highlights:

• Jeff Shevlin & Bill Hyder: One thing I don't like about coin shows relative tech shows is that dealers don't have anything hanging from the ceiling so it's hard to visually see where dealers you want to meet are. So I often end up walking around and looking at random cases for interesting things before knowing what dealer I'm looking at. I was walking around looking when I stopped at a case with lots of So-Called Dollars and pieces provenanced to the Jeff Shevlin Collection. When I looked up Jeff was standing next to me! I had spoken at his symposium last year so we talked about attending and speaking again this year. I also got to see a few amazing pieces in person and picked up a few, including my first Trans-Mississippi piece, my first Wells Fargo piece, my second Century of Progress pictorial and others. Even after seeing photos on Jeff's website, it's nice to see pieces in hand! Really fortuitous to chat with Jeff and pick up some pieces.
  • David McCarthy & Don Kagin: I stopped by the Kagin table and had a really long chat with David. It was great to meet as we've mostly been chatting over email and the phone recently. They had an entire row of territorial octagonal slugs in their case which was amazing. They also had the awesome 1847 large cent deep dish obverse die cap. I ended up talking to David about his upcoming article on the Continental Dollar and Don mentioned he enjoyed reading Killing Crazy Horse by Bill O'Reilly which I was carrying around with me. I was surprised to see they had a row of So-Called Dollars and ended up buying my first Century of Progress pictorial from them, a PCGS MS66. I've been looking for one with nice color and detail and this fit the bill.
  • Mike Kittle: Mike had a very nice banner so it was easy to see where he was setting up. He had a large case of Dan Carr items which I was interested to see but there wasn't anything I needed. He also had some nicely toned USPI and Philippines pieces that I was interested in but need to wait due to budgets. We got to talk about his Glendale Coin Club pieces as well as some others that Dan mints.
  • MaryAnn Agre: I stopped by CRO twice and got to chat with MaryAnn. A great thing is that on the morning of the show I had commented on the forums that many of the Eliasberg coins should be pedigreed to "Clapp/Eliasberg" and I was pleasantly surprised to see a 4 piece gold Escudo type set pedigreed to "Clapp/Eliasberg" by ATS. I liked the 8 Escudo the best.
  • Peter Yeung: I didn't know Peter before the show but we had a long chat and I was amazed to learn that he was part owner of Panda America, having purchased it with Kitty Quan from Martin Weiss. Later I found this article which has some great information on this.
  • Legend: I didn't run into Laura but I did get to enjoy The Unforgettable Collection which is coming up for sale at PCGS Regency show in Las Vegas. It's called the Unforgettable Collection because collector said his first coin in the collection was "unforgettable" and then wanted to build out an entire collection of unforgettable coins. I got to hold 4 nice toners including Huguenot, New Rochelle, San Diego, and Texas.

I took a bunch of pics at the show but I need to get another license of Photoshop so I can crop them before posting. For now, I'll post a few TrueViews and come back to update.

Killing Crazy Horse by Bill O'Reilly

Plane flights are an excuse to read for me so I like to pick up books at the airport if I don't have one already. I was lucky to find "Killing Crazy Horse" by Bill O'Reilly and found it very engaging, just 14 pages in. This book came up later during the show as Don Kagin said he also read and liked it.

1933 Century of Progress Pictorial So-Called Dollar (HK-870, Type IV) - PCGS MS66 POP 1/0
Cert: https://www.pcgs.com/cert/43778497

I've been looking for a nice specimen of this type for a very long time. I ended up picking up two at the show. This PCGS MS66 is from David McCarthy which I picked up at the show along with a NGC MS66 from Jeff Shevlin, with a much different look. This looks much lighter in hand so I'll need to post some slab photos afterwards.

More So-Called Dollars

After picking up the HK-870 above, I stopped by Jeff and Bill's table where I saw these nice 10 So-Called Dollars. 8 out of 10 were certified, and of those 4 were from the "Jeff Shevlin Collection". Jeff thought the Wells Fargo should have graded MS and was going to resubmit but because it came back the details holder, I got a nice price. The MS64 PL Trans-Mississippi was also up for re-submission per the sticker.

HK-135b / GW-998

Jeff also had the following trio of silver So-Called Dollars. I was happy to see GW-998 in silver in hand.

Slugs and other eye candy Kagin's

7 octagonal and 2 round slugs. They seem downright common! Don even made a joke about having so many!

Clapp/Eliasberg Escudo Type Set at Coin Rarities Online

It was a pleasant surprise to run into this set and to be able to discuss it with MaryAnn.

The Unforgettable Collection

Lots of C&C - Color and CAC! These were some nice coins to behold.

1924 Huguenot Half Dollar - PCGS MS68 POP 5/1 CAC
Pedigree: Unforgettable Collection
Cert: https://www.pcgs.com/cert/45402548

I'm a big fan of this design and this had really nice color. This also looked lighter in hand which my photos show.

1938 New Rochelle Half Dollar - PCGS MS67+ POP 66/14 CAC
Pedigree: Bruce Scher; Unforgettable Collection
Cert: https://www.pcgs.com/cert/06636039

1935-S San Diego Half Dollar - PCGS MS68 POP 8/1 CAC
Cert: https://www.pcgs.com/cert/45402550

1938-D Texas Half Dollar PCGS MS67+ POP 27/5 CAC
Cert: https://www.pcgs.com/cert/82920655

Food!

I didn't have time to try out the hotdog and mustard but it was super tempting!

I did get to enjoy a nice avocado toast for breakfast and steak for dinner:

Comments

• Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

Zoins- glad you had a very successful Long Beach coin show!

Meeting people and adding coins to your collection is what it is all about!

Beautiful TrueView images!

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the great write up. I am hoping to find one or two dealers at the ANA that have Dan Carr items. There were none that I found at the Central States show in April (other than one that had 3 Barber half dollars).
    Sounds like it was a successful show for you.

• Options
    edited July 3, 2022 11:19AM

@pcgscacgold said:
    Thanks for the great write up. I am hoping to find one or two dealers at the ANA that have Dan Carr items. There were none that I found at the Central States show in April (other than one that had 3 Barber half dollars).

Good luck! I did find another dealer with Dan Carr items, but it was only those 2 so not a lot. There were 2 items I wanted but were priced more than I had budget for so I passed, but it was great to see them.

Sounds like it was a successful show for you.

It was very successful. It was great talking to people, some of whom where we’ve been trying to meet up in person for months! I picked up a total of 12 pieces including top pops and eye appealing pieces so I’m happy with the newps too.

• Options

Zoins- sounds like you are ready to become a coin dealer!😉

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Clapp/Eliasberg set sounds awesome >:)

• Options
    SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for taking the time to write up your experiences!

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

and to attest that TVs aren't all that. ;)

Glad you had a productive show! Can't wait to see your new pieces.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does Long Beach not have a bourse map and list of dealer locations? There's a good reason for not allowing signs and banners, It's called show security!

• Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report.

Vplite99
  • Options

@amwldcoin said:
    Does Long Beach not have a bourse map and list of dealer locations? There's a good reason for not allowing signs and banners, It's called show security!

I do like the dealers that bring the huge safes!

• Options

@Zoins said:

@amwldcoin said:

They don't bring them, they rent them!

• Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:

@Zoins said:

@amwldcoin said:

Some dealers own them, store show supplies in them, rent space locally, and pay to have them brought to the show then taken back to the storage location. It is cheaper than renting the safe for the show.

Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great show report, Zoins! Thank you for posting it and your newps!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    edited July 3, 2022 4:13PM

@foodude said:

@amwldcoin said:

@Zoins said:

@amwldcoin said:

Some dealers own them, store show supplies in them, rent space locally, and pay to have them brought to the show then taken back to the storage location. It is cheaper than renting the safe for the show.

Hmmmm, so they own a safe at the various shows they attend? I couldn't see transporting a safe from say Baltimore to the FUN show much less Long Beach to the FUN show! When I helped set up the Baltimore show all the safes came in at the same time from the same company. I just can't see that being a viable option!

Edit to add...unless they are so paranoid they don't trust the safe rental company!

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for your report.

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 869 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice report and sounds like the kind of show experience we all really like to have. I always tell people that the social aspect is the most important and rewarding part of attending bigger shows.

Would have liked to have looked over the Carr pieces there. Last show I did was Denver and surprisingly only saw significant Carr inventory at Carr's table (picked up a couple pieces).

• Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭

Hmmmm, so they own a safe at the various shows they attend? I couldn't see transporting a safe from say Baltimore to the FUN show much less Long Beach to the FUN show! When I helped set up the Baltimore show all the safes came in at the same time from the same company. I just can't see that being a viable option!

No, for some shows companies own the safe and store it in the show location area. If a coin firm does this in multi locations, they have multiple safes. TL-30 Safes are very cheap if you buy them used. And used safes are very plentiful.

Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins... Thanks for a great show report. Seems like you had a great time and got a lot of coins for your collection. That is the recipe for a great coin show. Look forward to the rest of your pictures. Cheers, RickO

• Options
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super detailed report. Thank you! Love the original material you posted. WOW!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great show report.

Thanks for taking the time to photograph and posting about some great looking pieces.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for your show report @Zoins.
    It is always nice to hear about your purchased items especially the "So-Called Dollar" pieces.
    Look forward to some more of your show pictures.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

Zoins-

Superb food selection…

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Byers said:

I second this.

You are knowledgeable and willing to research and best of all you are becoming known and have excellent connections :)

• Options

@Byers said:
    Zoins-

Superb food selection…

Yes, I had to skip the hotdog so I don't know how it compares to Costco ;)

But I did add photos of a nice steak and avocado toast above!

• Options
    edited July 6, 2022 10:44PM

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@Byers said:

I second this.

You are knowledgeable and willing to research and best of all you are becoming known and have excellent connections :)

I love collecting! Next step is to start selling!

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report @Zoins
    thanks for taking the time to share it with us :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the kind of show write up I love.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

thanks for a great report ... Kagin's row of slugs ... WOW !

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins... Thanks for the additional pictures and commentary. That avocado toast breakfast looks interesting... never tried that. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Thanks everyone!

I just added this photo above along with the TrueView for HK-135b / GW-998:

This was sold by Stack's in Baltimore 2021 for $9k. I was amazed to see that Jeff was offering it.

It's great to be able to see this in hand which is a huge advantage of going to shows!

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for sharing @Zoins ☺️Those half dollars are amazing 🥰

• Options

@Paradisefound said:
    Thank you for sharing @Zoins ☺️Those half dollars are amazing 🥰

Yes they are! I'm really glad Legend had them available for viewing!

Here's a link to The Unforgettable Collection Registry Set:

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/alltimeset/157471

• Options

This is the History in it self!

• Options

• Options
    edited July 17, 2022 2:36PM

@Paradisefound said:
    This is the History in it self!

Who can forget Hawaii??

Here's the full TrueView for the Unforgettable Hawaiian!

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good report. I like your paleo taste in food.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file