Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1884 Morgan CC: Will it grade? Should I grade? What will it grade?

Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ladies and gentlemen of the forum, please give me your thoughts on this 1884 Carson City Morgan. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking 61.

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think 62 because the reverse is rather nice and the TPGS often give a bit of a bump to CC dollars. It's worth around $350 based on recent auctions graded as a 62, so you can go from there.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also think it’s a 60-61 and would not spend the money and time to try to grade it. Looks fine in that little round holder!

Lenny

More coins, less government.
  • Options
    silverbulsilverbul Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

horrible face. 60. maybe. sorry, jmo.

• Options

Thank you to all whom replied so far. One clarification, I am not looking to sell (at this time anyway). Also, I have the 82 and 83 both at MS 65, so I didn't know if this dollar should join them in a holder? And no, I did not think that this dollar would grade at MS65, just wanted to get some inputs. Thanks again, Joe

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FlyingAl said:
    I think 62 because the reverse is rather nice and the TPGS often give a bit of a bump to CC dollars. It's worth around $350 based on recent auctions graded as a 62, so you can go from there.

The reverse could be perfect and it still might not help elevate the grade of the coin. And even considering potential leniency in grading of CC dollars, 62 seems quite generous for the coin - there are some extremely conspicuous obverse marks.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sitting next to its sisters in 65 holders this would stick out like a sore thumb. 65s are plentiful.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

No point in grading that one. They sell just fine at wholesale, a bit over $300. I'd call it a 60.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

61…she’s been brutalized. Reverse is quite nice though.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options

@silverbul said:
    horrible face. 60. maybe. sorry, jmo.

Thank you all. The camera magnification does bring out the scratches on the obverse, but as you hear from many folks say,
    it looks better in hand. (Luster and cartwheels).

I appreciate the input, Joe

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see it as a 61 and if it were mine I would not spend the money to grade it. ;)

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@FlyingAl said:

The reverse could be perfect and it still might not help elevate the grade of the coin. And even considering potential leniency in grading of CC dollars, 62 seems quite generous for the coin - there are some extremely conspicuous obverse marks.

This is true and I do know the reverse of a coin rarely, if ever gives a coin a bump but I like to take it into consideration when I'm grading something. Oftentimes it doesn't make a difference in what I was thinking, but here it does for me where the reverse grades closer to two points higher than the obverse (in my opinion).

As to the 62 - I agree it's rather generous, but I've seen some pretty bad stuff in 62 holders, like the below. I'd say the coin here is rather similar. Does it belong in a 61 holder? Probably, but I could see in in a 62.

This is a 61, and I would argue that the OP coin is very similar, perhaps better. Of course, lighting plays a role. I posted this one to show that 61 is probably the better grade, but a 62 isn't out of the realm of possibility in my eyes.
    I'm not crazy yet :lol:! The reason I went with 62 rather than 61 is probably due to my inclusion of the reverse into the grade. The TPG would almost certainly go 61 or lower.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options

@Flyinga,
    Thank you for the detailed reply, Joe

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grading would be a waste of money and time - it would sell for about 300 bucks or so wholesale or ebay, graded or not.

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first impression was 60

Mr_Spud

• Options
    AtcarrollAtcarroll Posts: 343 ✭✭✭

She hit every coin in the bag on the way out.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

She lost that fight. Probably 61 on a good day at our host, but not worth the cost to grade IMO.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would call that an MS60.... Just too many marks on Liberty's face.... and I would not submit it for grading. However, being a CC Morgan, I would keep it. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    justindanjustindan Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks 60 from what I have sent in and had graded this year. Save your money.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

60 or 61, no reason to spend the grading fees imo.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS60 is appropriate. No, don't waste you money getting it graded. Go ahead and sell it and put the money toward a MS65 example. The sooner you do so the better off you will be as 65's will increase in value faster than 60's.
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS60 ... a real dog. Sell it for whatever you can get and move on.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS61

When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of the GSA coins I got at their auction in 1979 looked similar to this. Leave it alone.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS60, generic unc. Don't bother grading it.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the reverse that's about if, ms61 fwiw

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:
    MS60, generic unc. Don't bother grading it.

Ditto!

Tom

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2022 4:49PM

MS 60. No would not send in. Would sell raw at MS60 money. Put in my raw collector coins binder for shows.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    stockdude_stockdude_ Posts: 456 ✭✭✭

The price differentials for low MS CC dollars in common dates are very close anyway. I wouldnt slab it

• Options

Thanks all for your input, appreciated! At the least, the coin is MS and that's not bad for a CC.

I'll keep as is. There is a big show in my area this September, I'll bring the coin and if I see a nice MS65(64) I'll consider using the coin as a down payment for upgrading.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. I'd grade it to avoid disputes of authenticity.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coin ;)

• Options
    justmenutty72justmenutty72 Posts: 394 ✭✭✭

MS60, not a point higher

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file