Home U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

nicely toned peace dollar in a straight-graded holder. you slipped up bubbila. those are tough to come by, especially at that price but we must remember, we don't know how far the top bidder would have gone had you been bidding/sniping or if they would have had a higher bid.

i missed something by not playing it just right that is extremely hard to come by even at a "fair" price and since i knew it was mostly my fault, left a good size knot in my stomach for a while. wasn't just about the coin(s) but messing up a good opportunity when it came along. one of many....

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pursuitofliberty said:
    I'll play the devils advocate and say, I disagree with both you and Lance.

Train wreck obverse and kiss of death grade on an extremely common coin, in a non-premium holder?

The upside is what?? Explain the process of how this is going to be a score, or why this is a reasonable cherry pick (something I usually consider to be at or less than half price).

People seem to pay up for toning on Peace Dollars (even when it's not super attractive).
    This example isn't super special but I would have expected it to go for more. How much more? Maybe $75 ($100 on a lucky day). The person who bought it should be able to make at least a little money on it and could even double their investment if they patiently wait out the right buyer (or maybe even crack the coin and sell it raw in order to avoid the stigma that can come with an MS 60 Anacs slab).

• Options
    Joey29Joey29 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭

I don’t see the big deal. Only reverse pretty obverse dreary

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pursuitofliberty said:
    I'll play the devils advocate and say, I disagree with both you and Lance.

Train wreck obverse and kiss of death grade on an extremely common coin, in a non-premium holder?

The upside is what?? Explain the process of how this is going to be a score, or why this is a reasonable cherry pick (something I usually consider to be at or less than half price).

i like a nice and reasonable antagonist with good points. it is just a matter of preference. i love peace dollars and to find toning like that is not easy on a coin that looks like it would straight-grade at pcgs even. it could go au or unc, mostly irrelevant in that condition as it is obviously kinda beat up. would be nice to see some toning on the obv to help it be easier on the eyes but it is what it is. now that i think about it, i'd probably put a sticker on the front or back with "kiss of death" on it just for funsies! i bet a lot of people would be like, "what the heck does that mean!"

i certainly wouldn't try to convince most people this is a good buy but i'd buy it every time at that price and not sure if i'd sell it as-is, keep it for a while or send to pcgs in an economy order but can't imagine i'd ever pass on this or one like it for under $60. to get one like that these days in that price range is pretty shocking as most here have seen some of the prices for toned peaces that are slabbed, even QC in many instances bringing substantial premiums, sometimes even obviously QC.

i would SUPER love this coin in a white anacs/ana small holder. are the blue anacs before or after the yellow?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC

Thanks Lance! I appreciate the explanation!!

Yellow is after the blues on the ANACS.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

A rough coin in a wrong holder. Hard pass.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not a tarnish collector, but at that price, it was a good buy for a slabbed Peace dollar. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yikes the horrible obverse totally negates any eye appeal on the reverse. Like the Seinfeld episode about the woman who looked different depending on which side you looked at her.

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know if you can do this now, but years ago I picked up an attractively toned SLQ and a Liberty Nickel, both with no premium re the specific grade. Both subsequently upgraded, the former by a full grade (probably the best score I've gotten in all of the years I have been collecting), the latter to a +

A lot depends on who decided to bid a particular coin. It helps if you're not dealing with registry set material or shot coins.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like toned coins as much as the next person but that’s not a rip IMO.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ugly common date in an MS60 holder. Nice toning only counts in my book when there's a nice coin underneath it!

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

I applaud the OP for his consistency in his (lack of) follow-ups and contributions to the threads he starts.😉

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file