Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Southern Branch Gold Coins Book

FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

Can anybody recommend a good book or two about the gold coins struck at C, D & O? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doug’s books are all great. I highly recommend them.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 1, 2022 12:33PM

If you want to learn the history of the Dahlonega Mint, The Neighborhood Mint by Sylvia Gailey Head and Elizabeth W. Etheridge is excellent. The late Clair M. Birdsall wrote books about both the Charlotte and Dahlonega Mints in the 1980s. I imagine that someone like Charles Davis might still have those books available.

Whitman also published a book on all of the U.S. mint locations that is quite good. It is part of their “Red Book” series. I think that it is out of print.

P.S. How do you get underlines on this site? It's really disappointing that it's not on the tool bar. What's with this useless "bar thought the S" think anyway? It's useless.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FilamCoins said:

Can anybody recommend a good book or two about the gold coins struck at C, D & O? Thanks in advance!

At the top of the Forum under the Resources and near the bottom of the first post are some of Doug Winters books online at NNP. These are older versions but if they look good to you then could order the new ones. At least should give you an idea of what to expect.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1006619/resources-books-links-to-read-on-numismatic-series-errors-and-varieties

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

P.S. How do you get underlines on this site? It's really disappointing that it's not on the tool bar. What's with this useless "bar thought the S" think anyway? It's useless.

The 'bar through the S' is Strikethrough. It displays what it looks like if you are crossing an item off a list.
    Like this: It displays what it looks like if you are crossing an item off a list.

When you click any of those formatting buttons, it adds shortcut formatting tags to your text. So for strikethrough, that's '~~' before and after the text you are enclosing. This forum also supports simple HTML tags as long as you don't get too fancy. So, the easiest way to underline something is to add a standard HTML opening tag and a closing tag surrounding what you want to underline.

Opening tag: type three characters (1) '<' (less than sign) (2) 'u' (lowercase U) and (3) '>' greater than sign)
    Closing tag: type four characters (1) '<' (less than sign) (2) '/' (forward slash) (3) 'u' (lowercase U) and (4) '>' greater than sign)

So if you type this (without the added spaces between the tag characters): < u > This is underlined. < / u >
    The result is this: This is underlined.

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

doug's book on charlotte coins cost me a lot of money, but did save me tuition fees. :smiley:

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

you probably already know but in case not, if you quote a post with some formatting you want to see that someone used, it will show it that way although i see that isn't what you are inquiring in this instance.

it seems obvious but doesn't always occur to me. :)

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

Thanks, folks. Much appreciated.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,507 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mvs7 said:
    @BillJones said:

The 'bar through the S' is Strikethrough. It displays what it looks like if you are crossing an item off a list.
    Like this: It displays what it looks like if you are crossing an item off a list.

When you click any of those formatting buttons, it adds shortcut formatting tags to your text. So for strikethrough, that's '~~' before and after the text you are enclosing. This forum also supports simple HTML tags as long as you don't get too fancy. So, the easiest way to underline something is to add a standard HTML opening tag and a closing tag surrounding what you want to underline.

Opening tag: type three characters (1) '<' (less than sign) (2) 'u' (lowercase U) and (3) '>' greater than sign)
    Closing tag: type four characters (1) '<' (less than sign) (2) '/' (forward slash) (3) 'u' (lowercase U) and (4) '>' greater than sign)

So if you type this (without the added spaces between the tag characters): < u > This is underlined. < / u >
    The result is this: This is underlined.

Thank you!

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file