Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2017 d penny layer error?

Im new to coin collecting and going thru some coins i recieved and could use some enlightment.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a coin that had the edge layer of copper rubbed off to show the zinc core, not an error.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

As above - rim was scrubbed, and the copper removed when it was done.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options

Just got my microscope..lol.

• Options
    DallifeDallife Posts: 71 ✭✭

@BigBird said:

Woow, what kind of microscope is that?! I needs! Lol

• Options

@Dallife said:

@BigBird said:

I picked it up off Amazon, Tomlov dm5. Im looking forward to putting it to use as i have a bunch of wheat pennies to sort thru next.

• Options

@coinbuf said:
    Just a coin that had the edge layer of copper rubbed off to show the zinc core, not an error.

Thanks for the reply, i recieved my coin microscope and uploaded additional pitures of the edge that show what u were refering to better.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2022 1:07PM

@BigBird cents are not made up of layers. Post 1982 cents are a zinc core thats copper plated.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

cents of that year are copper plated zinc. the plating is very very thin.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is just a big old fingerprint.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks printed on both sides

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

High magnification is rarely a good thing. If you can't see something with a 5x loupe, there probably isn't much interest.

Instead of spending your time looking a bunch of wheaties under high mag, spend that time studying the minting and die making processes to help you understand what is an error/variety (not a lot in circulation) and what is damage (lots and lots and lots out there). it will keep you from wasting a lot of time.

Also take the time to know which dates have worthwhile varieties and concentrate on those. The chances of a new collector with minimal knowledge of the minting process finding a new variety are pretty slim.

Hope this helps

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gumby1234 said:
    @BigBird cents are not made up of layers. Post 1982 cents are a zinc core thats copper plated.

Isn't that 2 layers?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BigBird .... Welcome aboard. Yes, the copper has worn off the rims and exposed the inner zinc material. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@gumby1234 said:

Isn't that 2 layers?

Technically i suppose it could be called that.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

@Oldhoopster said:
    High magnification is rarely a good thing. If you can't see something with a 5x loupe, there probably isn't much interest.

Instead of spending your time looking a bunch of wheaties under high mag, spend that time studying the minting and die making processes to help you understand what is an error/variety (not a lot in circulation) and what is damage (lots and lots and lots out there). it will keep you from wasting a lot of time.

Also take the time to know which dates have worthwhile varieties and concentrate on those. The chances of a new collector with minimal knowledge of the minting process finding a new variety are pretty slim.

Hope this helps

Dont see why cant do both..lol. i have def been trying to update myself as much as possible on the process, but i found seeing the planchet up close helps. Especially in situations like this were it is much easier to recognize the grinding up close. Also as someone with physical disabilities its a fun hobby that keeps the stir crazy away. Also being enlightened by sages such as yourself count as my social interaction 😉

• Options

@ricko said:
    @BigBird .... Welcome aboard. Yes, the copper has worn off the rims and exposed the inner zinc material. Cheers, RickO

Thanks Ricko! Def more noticable when zoomed in

• Options
    DallifeDallife Posts: 71 ✭✭

@BigBird said:

@Dallife said:

@BigBird said:

I picked it up off Amazon, Tomlov dm5. Im looking forward to putting it to use as i have a bunch of wheat pennies to sort thru next.

Thanks! I got a different one from there and it's nowhere near as nice as yours!

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome aboard @BigBird.
    The coin is not a winner but your pictures are.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file