Home U.S. Coin Forum

A tweak to my CBH Everyman registry set

lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been the best loser in this competition since my first place finish in 2012, year one. A good friend, and fellow Bust Half Nut Club member, took over when plus-grading became a thing.

I'll never catch him but that's okay. He's a kind, benevolent soul and easy to lose to.

Still, I'm a sucker for great AU58+ bust halves, among the rarest in all U.S. series. Recently this one came along and I found a way to own it.

Those of you who know the bust half dollar series will be quick to recognize the Redbook variety and maybe even the provenance. I am not sure I deserve membership in that exclusive club but I love its history.

Below is the coin. And below that a snapshot of my set. An even dozen 58+'s to go!
Lance.

Comments

• alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW, Just amazing coins

• drddmdrddm Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations, Lance!

The toughest 1820….by FAR, a No Serifs (on the A’s and E’s of the reverse) O.107 and in the perfect grade IMO, 58+….. WOW!!!!

I believe that beauty is third finest, and quite deserving, as is your membership in that elite club of previous owners!

She’s gorgeous and fits in perfectly into your incredible set!

Congrats again!!!!

Dave

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats!

Frank

BHNC #203

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely a wonderful set, congrats!

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful set and new addition! the creme de la creme of bust halves.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now this deserves a WOW!
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great addition to your set, and an amazing, uniform, quality set of coins. Cheers, RickO

• RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have built a wonderful set of Capped Bust half dollars! Congratulations!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unbelievable

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• GoBustGoBust Posts: 582 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like you are having way too much fun Lance. Really am incredible set my friend. You have a tremendous eye for stellar visual appeal early halves. See you at the ANA!

• coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice acquisition!! And such a beautiful set. I am envious.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful set!

• ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

Simply a great looking set!

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well matched set.

• jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

Crazy... watching this set grow has been fun 😀
    And as incredible as this everyman set is, if Lance showed us a set of ALL his very best pieces, I'm sure I would be even more mind blowing...🤯

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gorgeous! And the set is to die for.

Lance is a first class forum member and collector with deep knowledge of this series and numismatics.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • NicNic Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful. Good on you!

• Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin

Could you tell the story of the provenance?

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are accumulations of coins and then there are fabulous, curated, lovingly assembled collections. This is one of those. The vast majority of Mint State CBH sets would be inferior to this in terms of eye appeal and overall enjoyment. I love it when a spectacular coin goes to someone who really appreciates it.

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pnies20 said:
    @lkeigwin

Could you tell the story of the provenance?

Thanks for all the nice comments, everyone. I am flattered!

This coin was auctioned last fall by Legend as part of a set consigned by a Chicago-based collector. Legend noted this provenance:

Ex. Floyd Farley Collection; to Charlton (Swampy) Meyers circa 1996; Selected Rarities from the Meyer Collection, Sheridan Downey Mail Bid, July 2008, lot 32 (as NGC AU58); Dr. Charles Link Collection; sold via private treaty to Keith Davignon April 2010; private treaty sale to Dr. Charles Link (as PCGS AU58), March 2014; private treaty sale to our consignor, April 2017

Lance.

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful set you have assembled.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• GoBustGoBust Posts: 582 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 20 no serifs is one of a few keys to the set. R8 in grade AU58+ or better. Condition census MS65, MS62 and then this fabulous coin. Its just so, so very awesome to have this amazing rarity in that perfect AU58+ collector grade. Nothing really comparable, since the other keys (bearded goddess, 17/4, and 12/1 large 8) do not exist in AU58 or mint state. The 12 single leaf has an MS63 and the next best i believe in an AU55. Great get Lance!

• habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

A TWEAK!?!?!?!?

Can't wait to see a major move..................

Very impressive set there Buddy.....

• jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just found a fascinating bit of trivia on Mailbocks site.. 1820 was the year that the tomato was proven to be non-poisonous.
    🍅

• TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spectacular set, Lance!

Tom

• Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you have them graded without being slabbed?

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

When it comes to Capped Bust half dollars, you da man👍 What a beautiful addition and collection.
    Congratulations my coin brother and friend.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

OFF THE frigg'in CHART ORIGINALITY! Well done.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Magnificent set Lance!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • VictaVicta Posts: 27 ✭✭

Now that's quite a set to behold. Gotta love those Busties, especially the rare no serifs 1820. This eye candy must have taken many years, if not decades to assemble. Thanks for sharing Lance!

• savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! A beautiful set. And I love the snapshot of the digital album.

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is one amazing looking set, Lance!!!

In my opinion the uniformity of the pieces is what makes this a great set.

Congrats on the latest edition.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)

You guys are so cool! Thank you, thank you for the nice words. To my friends and forum buddies.
    Lance.

• lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got the dreaded comment will post after approval. So will try again but change up a few words and format and see if it will go.
    I remember seeing this set when I was looking through some bust half sets. Nice one.
    I have some bust halves and got some graded but without TV. So I don't have any circulate bust half TV to compare.
    @lkeigwin
    How do you think the TV compares to the coin in hand under 'normal' lighting (to me that is non-sunlight or not special bright lighting).
    Thanks

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

Phil Arnold, @PCGSPhoto, whose team shoots True Views, does a remarkable job. At times, and especially during shows, they shoot several hundred coins a day. Their workload is incredible. And growing. I can't imagine the pressure.

I shoot images professionally for collectors and dealers and when I'm really focused I might do 40/day. I dwell on the images. I suffer. I want them perfect. Phil's team can't spend that time.

True Views sometimes have a red bias. White coins sometimes looked toned. What a lot of collectors don't get is that when you light-up a coin...especially a raw one with intense flood lighting...color that is casually missed under ordinary light can be brought out.

Is that fair? Real? I don't know. But True Views are pretty darned good, IMO. Well worth the money.
    Lance.

• lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin
    Thanks for the reply and info.
    I am familiar with TV and some of the ups and downs. However, I had not compared any circulated bust halves. If I can make it back to a show I think I will submit mine (not so many) for TV with your reply/info.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 11, 2022 7:53AM

@lkeigwin said:
    I am not sure I deserve membership in that exclusive club but I love its history.

I missed this thread when it first came out. The day you posted it I was fishing at Willow Lake in Oregon. We have discussed off the board, but I wanted to congratulate you again after seeing and reading this thread.

This is a FANTASTIC coin, one that combines everything we look for. Beauty, rarity, surface preservation. Simply fantastic, and one that absolutely belongs in your set. You do deserve membership in the chain of her provenance, most assuredly. I am sure you will be a fabulous caretaker for her.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file