Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

SO how do we feel about the stock market and bitcoin bubbles bursting a bit....?

ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 12, 2022 4:30AM in U.S. Coin Forum

How deep and prolonged do you all see a correction lasting ? How about our hobby bubbles?

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,899 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think all bubbles may burst. I have been expecting it for years, waiting for the Fed to normalize interest rates. The bigger the bubble, the bigger the burst.

In the long run, the stock market will be better for it. In the short run, there will be pain. [Dow 20,000 anyone?]

PMs may be a different story. Look what happened after 1982 to gold and silver after the last Fed purge of inflation.

Collectibles? Anyone's guess. But I would expect them to fall back to 2018 levels at least.

Or not. My crystal ball is forever broken. And we've managed to keep blowing into the bubbles for 20 years.

• Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭

Fed Reserve policy mostly pumped up stock and real estate prices. Crypto went along for the ride, in an exaggerated way. The S&P 500 peaked at 3200 (an all time high) in Feb 2020 just as Covid hit. That is a reasonable target sometime in 2023.
    Bitcoin is just a guess.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin market has no top and is not affected by any outside influences! ;)

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m a financial advisor for work and a coin collector for hobby. Haven’t done any crypto.
    No clue where the bottom is for any of it. I’m in the market for the long haul (certainly moving things around for myself and clients, though) and my coin collection is a lifetime situation, also.
    If coin prices drop I’ll be sad about what I paid last month but excited to get more coins for less later.
    We’ll find out how much of the new blood in collecting is really in for good and how much is based off of crypto gains and will dump as soon as cash flow gets tight.

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

""If coin prices drop I’ll be sad about what I paid last month but excited to get more coins for less later""

Well said and exactly how I see it.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

The bitcoin bubble needed to burst, IMHO. I think many coins are in a bubble, and it is time to sell extra's.

Vplite99
  • Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tulips errr Cryptos bursting, who ever could have seen that coming :/

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShaunBC5 said:
    I’m a financial advisor for work and a coin collector for hobby. Haven’t done any crypto.
    No clue where the bottom is for any of it. I’m in the market for the long haul (certainly moving things around for myself and clients, though) and my coin collection is a lifetime situation, also.
    If coin prices drop I’ll be sad about what I paid last month but excited to get more coins for less later.
    We’ll find out how much of the new blood in collecting is really in for good and how much is based off of crypto gains and will dump as soon as cash flow gets tight.

You had me scared there for a second, when I saw "financial advisor" and "coins" in the same sentence.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR I have to keep those worlds completely separate, for sure! My hobbies and other people’s long-term goals and dreams and risk tolerances do not mix 😂

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like I may get a second chance to invest in Bitcoin (glad I didn’t buy at 40)
    The question is guessing the complete tank. 5k or 500.00 or 50.00?
    I could tell you what year it makes its comeback but I don’t want to rattle any cages. Lol

• Options
    BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 12, 2022 7:43PM

I think Rodney would have a low opinion of cryptocurrency.

https://youtu.be/QwIdyQzQ5mc

• Options
    edited May 12, 2022 8:22PM
  • Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tried replying to @ShaunBC5. I'm wondering why I'm getting this pop-up?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

Watching the stock market is a bit like having a conversation with schizophrenic aunt who forgot to take her meds.

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

I "invested" ~$300 back in February of this year.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

The stock markets have their bumps and grinds. Sometimes it’s tough to work though, but the long term gains are positive.

These crypto currencies are Ponzi schemes. Some conservatives like to rail about the evils of fiat currency, and yet some of them jumped on the crypto bandwagon. Fiat money is only good for as long as people will take it. Having stable government backing from the legal system gives it a major boost. Currency backed by hype only will fail.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collectors are still buying choice gold.

Recall that none of the wall street gurus called the sub prime meltdown.

More wealth destruction coming, real concerns about crypto contagion, leveraging. It's a mess right now IMO.

• Options
    justindanjustindan Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems safe to say that selling when the executive order for ECASH was signed was a great idea.

Agree with the market being choppy until late summer especially while all the market makers are on vacation.

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:
    I tried replying to @ShaunBC5. I'm wondering why I'm getting this pop-up?

It's complicated but basically the format you try to use isn't jiving. And it will not appear. Ever. Go back and try again.

• Options

I missed the bandwagon, it was at 40 and I chose gold instead.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

Time in the market usually beats timing of the market. I'm in it for the long haul.

I have .2% of my assets in crypto - not real concerned.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,899 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:
    Time in the market usually beats timing of the market. I'm in it for the long haul.

I have .2% of my assets in crypto - not real concerned.

Yeah. That's about how I feel.

Although I do think I should do something. Lol. But since I don't know what, I'm just holding everything.

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:
    Looks like I may get a second chance to invest in Bitcoin (glad I didn’t buy at 40)
    The question is guessing the complete tank. 5k or 500.00 or 50.00?
    I could tell you what year it makes its comeback but I don’t want to rattle any cages. Lol

Well Paypal spotted me $5 worth of Bitcoin about a month or two ago...I guess it's a start! But hey, if it's free I can't really lose, right? Unless something like this were to happen I suppose...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-Z8_Mzmqgk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtpwAg0KTeA

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

@estil Yikes! You needed to be in at 50.00 a share and sold at 20k. Otherwise you’re pretty much Garfunkel.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file