Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A 211 Year Old " Die Crack".

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 29, 2022 11:10PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hi guys,
Just noticed this crack on my newly acquired Capped Bust Half!

The 1811 Small 8

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2022 8:04AM

Nice pictures of the cracks Joey. :)

Careful Bro', crack is addicting!! :D

These are how I identified the Reverse Die for the Die Marriage I told you about. This reverse Die was shared with two different Obverse Dies, creating the Die Marriages we refer to as O-106 and O-107.

EDIT; after reconsideration, yours appears to be the O-106.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, awesome news, Todd. Thanks.
    "Crack is addicting!"
    :D
    Too funny, dude.
    I did not know anything concerning "die marriages".
    Thanks ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joey, your show return and patience paid off. Nice! Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find.... Die cracks are interesting and serve as identifying points for die states and marriages. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are just starting……congratulations!

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin, and interesting. Along with the die cracks, both the obverse and reverse have a lot of die erosion, the dentils are gone, stars drawn to edge, erosion at date and letters, and clashing.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    Wow, awesome news, Todd. Thanks.
    "Crack is addicting!"
    :D
    Too funny, dude.
    I did not know anything concerning "die marriages".
    Thanks ;)

"Die marriages" are Overton.
    Just keep in mind that the dies don't always stay married. Sometimes they get a divorce and hook up with another die.
    Here is the one from the Link set that matches yours (same 'die marriage' O-106) with the same die cracks.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lilolme said:

>

Just keep in mind that the dies don't always stay married. Sometimes they get a divorce and hook up with another die.

:D:D:D
    POTD Material right there!!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

These marriages are reminding me of the 1813 102 and 104
    They both share a reverse and have very similar obverses.. can be easy to mix them up. And they're also pretty tough (R4)

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe they don't get divorced and are just having something on the side.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file