Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Shield nickel

I have a shield nickel but says the date is 1370. Thinking it was a misprint, anyone have any idea of what might be worth or how can I post Photos of it?

Comments

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

1870 would be a Shield Nickel Date (1866 to 1883 are the dates). Having an 8 look like a 3 can be caused by many different situations, all of which, images would probably help us determine. Unfortunately, since you are new, I think the mod's limit posting images for a few days.

Try again Monday maybe?

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Send your pic to me, I'll post it. Email below.
    bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

Sent

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

Either a grease filled die or simply impact damage.

• Options

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2022 5:18PM

That's a corroded 1870 nickel. Worth $1 or so.

Corroded large cent, worth $2 or $3.

The dollar is also polished but is a better type and has some value.

• Options

Oh I know they are not perfect I had just found them in my yard so was checking. Is there any way to clean them up because all I have done Is use water so far.

• Options

Oh I know they are not perfect I had just found them in my yard so was checking. Is there any way to clean them up because all I have done Is use water so far.> @jmlanzaf said:

Either a grease filled die or simply impact damage.

But u can clearly see it's a 3 just wondering if that meant anything?

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t think you’re going to get them any better looking without hurting them more. The cent and nickel have environmental damage. Cool yard finds! Especially the branch mint gold dollar.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options

Oh I know they are not perfect I had just found them in my yard so was checking. Is there any way to clean them up because all I have done Is use water so far.> @clarkbar04 said:

I don’t think you’re going to get them any better looking without hurting them more. The cent and nickel have environmental damage. Cool yard finds! Especially the branch mint gold dollar.

• Options

@74Indian said:
    Oh I know they are not perfect I had just found them in my yard so was checking. Is there any way to clean them up because all I have done Is use water so far.> @clarkbar04 said:

Thank you

• Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

@74Indian said:
    Oh I know they are not perfect I had just found them in my yard so was checking. Is there any way to clean them up because all I have done Is use water so far.

Please DO NOT clean any of the coins you have found. They may be conserved at some point in the future, but trying to clean them is not going to make things any better at this time. The Shield 5C and the large cent are pretty far gone, but they can be stabilized if done so professionally. Pretty cool coins!

Your $1 gold coin does not need a cleaning anyway, and it is a desirable type coin. Retail value is around $300 or so.

Based on the details of the coins, I have to ask you: Did you find these coins by metal detecting in your yard?

• Options

@74Indian said:

Thank you > @numisma said:

@74Indian said:

Please DO NOT clean any of the coins you have found. They may be conserved at some point in the future, but trying to clean them is not going to make things any better at this time. The Shield 5C and the large cent are pretty far gone, but they can be stabilized if done so professionally. Pretty cool coins!

Your $1 gold coin does not need a cleaning anyway, and it is a desirable type coin. Retail value is around $300 or so.

Based on the details of the coins, I have to ask you: Did you find these coins by metal detecting in your yard?

No just sifting through a bunch of dirt started out probing for glass bottles and once dirt was sifted through they were left . And I will not use anything to clean them thank you.

• Options

No just sifting through a bunch of dirt started out probing for glass bottles and once dirt was sifted through they were left . And I will not use anything to clean them thank you.

Wow! I would be out there sifting every day! There could be more coins in that dirt pile. Heck, you already found an 1849-O $1 gold piece. Gotta be something else in the ground. Can you rent a metal detector in your area?

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

1870 looks ddo

nice gold find!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

Oh I know they are not perfect I had just found them in my yard so was checking. Is there any way to clean them up because all I have done Is use water so far.> @numisma said:

Wow! I would be out there sifting every day! There could be more coins in that dirt pile. Heck, you already found an 1849-O $1 gold piece. Gotta be something else in the ground. Can you rent a metal detector in your area?

My step dad is bringing one over

• Options

Wow ... who knew ... this thread got legs!

Nice finds! @74Indian

Definitely an 1870 Shield, and while it has some environmental issues, what a great find. And the gold dollar is awesome!!

@clarkbar04 and @numisma advice is spot on. Don't try to clean or conserve them at this time. A quick rinse in water to remove grime is fine ... just let them fully dry, and then placing them (individually) in small polyethylene bags might be prudent for storage until you decide what to do with them.

Like @numisma I'd be turning that soil looking for more!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options

Oh I know they are not perfect I had just found them in my yard so was checking. Is there any way to clean them up because all I have done Is use water so far.> @pursuitofliberty said:

Wow ... who knew ... this thread got legs!

Nice finds! @74Indian

Definitely an 1870 Shield, and while it has some environmental issues, what a great find. And the gold dollar is awesome!!

@clarkbar04 and @numisma advice is spot on. Don't try to clean or conserve them at this time. A quick rinse in water to remove grime is fine ... just let them fully dry, and then placing them (individually) in small polyethylene bags might be prudent for storage until you decide what to do with them.

Like @numisma I'd be turning that soil looking for more!

Is the 1370 a misstrike cause I can't see an eight I see a 3

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

@74Indian said:

look at downtown1974 blow up of the coin (copied below)

@Downtown1974 said:
    Looks like an 8 to me. Nice finds though.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options

Oh I know they are not perfect I had just found them in my yard so was checking. Is there any way to clean them up because all I have done Is use water so far.> @lilolme said:

@74Indian said:

look at downtown1974 blow up of the coin (copied below)

@Downtown1974 said:
    Looks like an 8 to me. Nice finds though.

Gotcha thank you so much.

• Options

Okay, I'm a metal detectorist here and I will argue that water is NOT okay for coins that are dug. I say NO, don't do it. Resist the urge and just set the coins out in the sun to DRY with all the dirt and mud on them. ONCE dry then you can flick the dirt off (hunks) or use a tootpick to be very gentle and remove the "clots". Then put them in your pocket and they will naturally clean them selves and turn out just like any other circulated coin, with grime and all.
    This is far better than rinsing with water to get the crud off. RESIST the urge. Here is a link to how to preserve a dug coin properly:
    bob :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05xBth42Q_U

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Finding any 1870 Shield nickel is unusual. It is not one of the common dates. It is too bad it is corroded. Just leave it as is. It is a good conversation piece.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@AUandAG said:
    Okay, I'm a metal detectorist here and I will argue that water is NOT okay for coins that are dug. I say NO, don't do it. Resist the urge and just set the coins out in the sun to DRY with all the dirt and mud on them. ONCE dry then you can flick the dirt off (hunks) or use a tootpick to be very gentle and remove the "clots". Then put them in your pocket and they will naturally clean them selves and turn out just like any other circulated coin, with grime and all.

>

Learn something new everyday! Nice video Bob! ;)

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    Okay, I'm a metal detectorist here and I will argue that water is NOT okay for coins that are dug. I say NO, don't do

does the video still work? it won't play for me.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

What @74Indian can do at this point is to soak the coins in a glass jar of olive oil for a couple of months. That will loosen some of the dirt and stabilize the coins.

Better yet, the OP can ask for guidance on the metal detector forum: https://forums.collectors.com/categories/metal-detecting to ask for advice.

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@AUandAG said:
    Okay, I'm a metal detectorist here and I will argue that water is NOT okay for coins that are dug. I say NO, don't do

does the video still work? it won't play for me.

I just clicked it and it started playing.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Terrific finds from a pile of dirt. That is an 8, the schmutz or corrosion is on the numeral in a deceptive spot. Soak it in acetone and the dirt will come off. Cheers, RickO

• Options

I am not a collector to be honest was just digging around, does anyone know where I would go about selling them

• Options

I was just curious about how you were finding bottles in the dirt. Is this an excavation site? Fill dirt? Old ruins?

• Options
    Stingray63Stingray63 Posts: 299 ✭✭✭

Looks 1870 to me and just corroded. I would still be thrilled finding something like that in the dirt.

Pocket Change Inspector

• Options

@numisma said:
    I was just curious about how you were finding bottles in the dirt. Is this an excavation site? Fill dirt? Old ruins?

Using a probe stick and our house was built in 1840 so just digging up old outhouses.

• Options

@74Indian said:

@numisma said:

Using a probe stick and our house was built in 1840 so just digging up old outhouses.

Are you in the South, like Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia, etc.?

• Options

@numisma said:

@74Indian said:

@numisma said:

Are you in the South, like Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia, etc.?

Missouri

• Options

Hey! My homestate. Central Ozarks. Our little town was on a creek in a hilly area that once included a Civil War fort (we were Union). Very rich in history. Some of the kids were finding cannon balls in the field below the fort, and there's a famous hoard that was found in this area.

I metal detected there for years. Never found anything from the 1800s. Lot of old pocket change and stuff. But I never went to any abandoned farm houses or anything.

It is cool how your 1849-O dollar made it up the Mississippi River from New Orleans to Missouri. Maybe Cape Girardeau, St. Louis, or even Hannibal.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file