Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2022 American innovation dollars Kentucky

Curious what your thoughts are on this upcoming issue. I think it’s a great design and might have the appeal of the Massachusetts issue from last year.

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting design....

• Options
    ndeaglesndeagles Posts: 309 ✭✭✭✭

I like a lot of coins in this series including this one. My favorite is Maryland (Hubble) and the upcoming Vermont, where I have multiple bags and rolls from each mint coming for the Vermont issue. The only coin I really don't understand in the series is Septima Clark, I feel that a civil rights activist had nothing to do with technological innovation and would have been a better candidate for the women's quarters series. I don't know maybe no other technological innovations have come from south Carolina...

• Options
    BJandTundraBJandTundra Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭

First successful use of a submarine in combat. The CSS Hundley in Charleston Harbor. Built in Alabama but developed and tested in South Carolina. Unfortunately, turned out this model was not reusable.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is an interesting design... Will likely catch the attention of music fans. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    That is an interesting design... Will likely catch the attention of music fans. Cheers, RickO

Unfortunately, this series is so obscure most won't even know it exists.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will wait for proofs and reverse proofs in this series but I do like the Kentucky's design.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collect these in a Littleton Album. Sold my graded dollars. Why does the mint make so many new series of coins that the is not intended for circulation. This series is the worse in my opinion. However dummies like me still collect them. Oh well, the mint will probably start a new series just for collectors like me "the goonie a 2 dollar coin to laugh at". :'(

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 23, 2022 9:33AM

@BJandTundra said:
    First successful use of a submarine in combat. The CSS Hundley in Charleston Harbor. Built in Alabama but developed and tested in South Carolina. Unfortunately, turned out this model was not reusable.

Yes, but it was used by the "wrong side". :* And it was basically a kamikaze weapon, although not intentionally. :o

There was a sub-like contraption, I think called the Turtle, from the 18th century. Not sure if it ever saw combat.

• Options
    SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2022 10:06AM

Sold out in minutes again from Mint? What is going on?
    The Innovation Dollars are getting more popular but this is crazy.

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I generally like the AI Dollars and am working on an album of each design, but I don’t find this one particularly interesting. When a word is the primary design element, it seems a bit lazy. Would have preferred a “Bourbon Dollar” from KY anyway ;)

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    OLCOLC Posts: 394 ✭✭✭

@Silverstate said:
    Sold out in minutes again from Mint? What is going on?
    The Innovation Dollars are getting more popular but this is crazy.

If all goes the same as the last couple issues come middle of next week there will be a boat load available again. The last couple of issues as with this one they have had roughly 2700 of the D & P bags originally for sale .About 1500 of each will magically come available and about 2500 of each of the rolls. This has been going on a lot lately. It also happened with the Kennedy Halves this year. Everybody says its cancellations but if enrollments were adjusted down before a few days ago they would have been available today. Once the enrollment begins to process it can't be stopped. I've tried hard before to cancel. They would then ship to customer and customer would have to return. This wouldn't happen within a week. It doesn't make sense. I will be looking to see if it happens again next week.

• Options

Just like clockwork. Over 1000 of each of the P & D bags available this morning 600 P rolls & 1500 of the D rolls.

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

My Mom was from Kentucky and I still have relatives there. I have no interest in this series but was interested in the Kentucky coin. Disappointed in the design, I find the State quarter more interesting. I'll pass.

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭✭

I happen to be near Rosine (Ohio County) where Bill Monroe was born...they really should've included him on the coin.

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭
    edited July 6, 2022 6:54AM

OLC, you were right! I was able to get my bag purchase in without a problem this morning. Crazy that they allow many people to wait until the morning of and say sold out! Then magically are for sale, a week later!!😂

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

I only collect the PCGS PR70 (reverse proof) and PR70 DCAM proof coins in this series.
    My only issues are getting them at a decent price. LOL
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:

@ricko said:

Unfortunately, this series is so obscure most won't even know it exists.

Judging from recent sales in this series....This series seems to be gaining considerable momentum. The designs so far, are all very good to excellent.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

@OLC said:
    Just like clockwork. Over 1000 of each of the P & D bags available this morning 600 P rolls & 1500 of the D rolls.

New numbers this morning . 1120 P rolls 1600 D rolls 1040 P bags and 904 D bags . D bags went Unavailable again yesterday. Were do these keep coming from. More today than yesterday.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file