Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coming up at Heritage...1925-S Peace Dollar, MS65 Among the Finest at PCGS....Sold Update.

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 6, 2022 6:22AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I would not be a player for this 1925-S Peace $1.

Is this not an example of "mottled" toning?

Will probably bring in good money for those collectors of this issue.

What do others think?

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/44109144

These images by Heritage are awful.

This MS65 representative exhibits dappled shades of dusky orange-gold and lavender patina with flashes of underlying brilliance shining through. Typically defined at the centers but otherwise strong.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/peace-dollars/silver-and-related-dollars/1925-s-1-ms65-pcgs-pcgs-7366-/a/1344-3826.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Comments

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 22, 2022 11:21AM

No thanks. Looks like something one would buy sight unseen at bluesheet.

Yeah - I don’t know how they would conserve that coin. Pass.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree would not gamble on being able to conserve. However typical of some Peace $ toning. Maybe try on a $50 UNC Peace coin with similar toning & MS70 cleaning agent to see if it removes the tarnish??

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmm. Really spotty for a Peace. I don’t think it’ll have any trouble finding a buyer though.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not my cup of tea....

I apprecitae the condition rarity aspect but I do not like it's look.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 23, 2022 12:13PM

The condition isn’t so much the rarity part of that coin as the strike is coupled to high condition. Most 25s are mush and I suspect that phenomenon is one of the reasons why the mint strengthened the engraving in 26 (most notably on the word god). There are plenty of attractive 63s & 64s out there that have one mirror drawback that far exceed that coin in eye appeal.

I would take a high grade mushy eagle netted to 63+ to 64 all day over that coin

• Options

This entry into the Heritage Platinum Session catalog on page 112 for May is what prompted me to post this thread.

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not no, but hell no.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ugly toning.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know what it is. I still don't like it.

1925 was a tough coin year all around. The quality and care sucked big time that year.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    TopdollarpaidTopdollarpaid Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

If that was my coin I would let someone else enjoy it. What a beauty!!!

Randy Conway

Www.killermarbles.com

Www.suncitycoin.com
  • Options
    JW77JW77 Posts: 461 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks like someone vomited on the coin, not for me.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't dislike it quite as much as some are expressing, but it's not a coin I'd want to own...... and yes, I would LOVE to own a gem 25-S.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gosh, NO!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back when a MS 64 was a just ohhh so close just miss 65, well, find one of those. Pass on this coin.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

no, not for me

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Heritage close up images make it look horrendous, and I am thinking that the True Views are more representative of what it will look like in hand. The slab shots on the Heritage site also make it look lighter in color. While it is no ravishing beauty, it does look a solid 65 unless the coin is much uglier than I am interpreting it to be. In short, I think it is accurately graded but it is not a coin I would be particularly excited to have in my collection.

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

Technically it is what it is.

But eye appeal no thanks IMO.

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

This being an ongoing auction situation, so I’ll try to be diplomatic.
    There are cases for which the numerical grade is trounced by eye appeal- or lack there of.
    For me, this is one of those cases. Gem 25-s Peace dollars are VERY hard to come by. That said, I’m sure there will be some strong interest in this.
    It’s not a coin I would consider if I were building a gem set.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

This looks like the typically ugly MS 65 Barber Half. No thank you.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't collect the series and I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But I'm going to stick with my first reaction to seeing that coin:
    Yuck.

When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure it’s the same coin, but I believe that I saw this coin in an old NGC holder quite a few years back - my first thought was ‘oh, it finally crossed’. It’s much prettier in hand …if it’s the same coin.

• Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pass.

Usually the TrueView images make a coin look better than it is in-hand. This coin enjoys no such benefit.

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭

Whoever buys it just wants the grade for their registry set.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whew, it hit every branch falling out of the ugly tree :s

This is a coin for someone who's just seeking the registry set points.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like looking at a sand storm.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find it unattractive and covered with tarnish, but that’s my taste. I would not be a bidder, but if registry points are your objective, it’s an opportunity.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    stockdude_stockdude_ Posts: 456 ✭✭✭

Dont worry there are plenty of plastic collectors out there that will interested in it

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:
    Not sure it’s the same coin, but I believe that I saw this coin in an old NGC holder quite a few years back - my first thought was ‘oh, it finally crossed’. It’s much prettier in hand …if it’s the same coin.

If you happen to see it at lot viewing, will you let us know if it is?

• Options
    gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭✭

No cac so it probably will not bring in full pcgs guide value.
    I would think this coin also would be very difficult to grade with all that crackle toning going on everywhere.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not particularly attractive to me either.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough crowd! If it looks like the Trueview in hand, I like it.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking at CoinFacts, some prettier ones have sold recently for 50-60% of PCGS price guide. I wouldn’t expect this one to beat those, but who knows.
    A pretty clean one sold in the last 8 months for 50-60% over.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

For the 25-S, published price guides above MS64 are a rough, ROUGH!!!, estimation of value. The issue is easily the most poorly made of all Peace dollars. I seen now that PCGS now lists a solitary MS65+ coin and, at most, a few dozen legitimate gems. Coins correctly graded MS65 can trade anywhere from $15k-$50k. It is no sin to like this coin or buy it -- just on the extreme low end of that scale. Really stellar MS64+ coins are an exceptional value, and the best won't, but should, sell for more than this one.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not care for the toning. When toning interferes with the ability to see/enjoy the devices clearly I can't be a fan. Beyond that, it also makes you wonder what the distracting toning is hiding. It would be a firm no for me.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2022 6:04PM

This MS65_CAC sold for $50,400 auction record....August 2021

https://www.pcgs.com/auctionprices/item/1925-s-1/7366/1083204217677036367

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file