Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I need help from Buffalo Nickel experts wether to resubmit this coin for a regrade from PCGS.

Joey29Joey29 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭

I recently conserved this coin at PCGS and don’t understand why I didn’t receive a 66 grade as the coin is super lustrous with only a moderate perpendicular line in the back of the Indians hair by the feather as far as I can see. JA told me nice coin and it didn’t receive gold because of a tough reverse mark which I can’t find. Posting photos from my I phone which I am not so good at, plus the true views.

Comments

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

This horizontal depression doesn't show on any of the Photograde examples PCGS has on their grading pages. FWIW...

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

the indian hair & braid im sure holds it back on its own.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a nice Buffalo nickel... But I do not see it as a 66. As mentioned above, the hair and braid hold it back...and the mark on the neck behind the braid. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like others said, less than full strike and hit on buffalo on the reverse. Very nice coin as a 65, I would enjoy it for what it is with the nice note from JA.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    the indian hair & braid im sure holds it back on its own.

It no doubt is a "looker", but I have to agree with the central obverse not being completely struck up.

Oh, and keep the note with it.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Indian hair and braid are not well enough struck to merit a higher grade. You are dealing in the world of opinions.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    The Indian hair and braid are not well enough struck to merit a higher grade. You are dealing in the world of opinions.

NO. You are dealing in the world of Buffalo Nickels.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BuffaloIronTail said:

@291fifth said:

NO. You are dealing in the world of Buffalo Nickels.

Pete

Not by my standards.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

I think you are as far as you can get with the grade I would leave it as is. if you want to get a 66 you may have to look for one already graded. I have to agree with all the above statements.

• Options

I looked at about a half dozen PCGS MS66 examples on the Heritage website and none of them have the feature I noted in my previous post.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    I guess I am missing something...

The OP got a green spot from CAC, so doesn't that represent an expert second opinion?

If JA had gold stickered it then I could see that a resubmission to PCGS might be very tempting, but as it stands didn't he essentially reaffirm the label? 🤔

Spot on! My question is what is the over/under on how many threads will be started on this coin? :D

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

You forgot about the five threads on the CAC forums about this coin started by this member, as well.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

"I need help from Buffalo Nickel experts wether to resubmit this coin for a regrade from PCGS."

Not a buffalo nickel expert, but I think you should crack it out, submit it to NGC and when you get it back, if it grades high enough, see if it'll cross at PCGS at the same grade or higher. If not, just crack it out and send it to PCGS again. You might consider sending it in to CAC a couple more times, too.

And be sure to start a new thread each time you get your results, I'm sure everybody can hardly wait to hear what happens next. :)

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

:o

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2022 11:37AM

As far as the hair and the braid goes most all 1926 buffalo nickels suffer with weak strikes in this central region. I have a 66 with a weaker braid and hair and it’s a solid 66 same with my 65+. I’m not exactly sure what’s holding this Buff from receiving a higher grade. Others have said you already have about 200 bucks in fees already with this coin. To be honest I’d have to see this one in hand to judge it further. But I wouldn’t resubmit it due to the money already spent. I find your coin beautiful and I would keep it along with the paperwork from JA. That by itself makes it a pretty cool buff.

PCGS 66

PCGS 65+

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

@MasonG said:
    "I need help from Buffalo Nickel experts wether to resubmit this coin for a regrade from PCGS."

Not a buffalo nickel expert, but I think you should crack it out, submit it to NGC and when you get it back, if it grades high enough, see if it'll cross at PCGS at the same grade or higher. If not, just crack it out and send it to PCGS again. You might consider sending it in to CAC a couple more times, too.

And be sure to start a new thread each time you get your results, I'm sure everybody can hardly wait to hear what happens next. :)

Sorry about that. My ocd got the better of me.😢

• Options

@Joey29 said:

Ok- it happens.

You asked a question and got a lot of replies. Have you given any thought to what all those posters took the time to write?

• Options

@MasonG said:

@Joey29 said:

Ok- it happens.

You asked a question and got a lot of replies. Have you given any thought to what all those posters took the time to write?

Yes and I am digesting all of their answers. But as Crazy Hounddog said he is not sure why no ms 66. Strike from what I have learned from mr. Feld is not that important in the final grade unless poor. So that leaves contact marks. I still think maybe my nickel can make ms 66 as a C coin possibly.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a couple of cropped photos and the full size image.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Joey29 said:

@MasonG said:

@Joey29 said:

Ok- it happens.

Yes and I am digesting all of their answers. But as Crazy Hounddog said he is not sure why no ms 66. Strike from what I have learned from mr. Feld is not that important in the final grade unless poor. So that leaves contact marks. I still think maybe my nickel can make ms 66 as a C coin possibly.

I find it interesting (but not surprising) that you mentioned what crazygroundhog said about the coin, but nothing about what any of the other respondents posted. No one else who expressed an opinion indicated that they thought the coin was under-graded or that it should be resubmitted.

What’s the point of asking for opinions if you’re just going to latch on to the ones you want to hear? Since it seems that no matter what, you want to do so, please resubmit the coin, get this over with - finally - and don’t start any additional threads about the coin. Thank you.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:

What’s the point of asking for opinions if you’re just going to latch on to the ones you want to hear?

FIFY :)

(I was about to make a similar comment to yours, but figured there was no point.)

• Options

@Joey29 said:

@MFeld said:

@Joey29 said:

@MasonG said:

@Joey29 said:

Ok- it happens.

I find it interesting (but not surprising) that you mentioned what crazygroundhog said about the coin, but nothing about what any of the other respondents posted. No one else who expressed an opinion indicated that they thought the coin was under-graded or that it should be resubmitted.

What’s the point of asking for opinions if you’re just going to latch on to the ones you want to hear? Since it seems that no matter what, you want to do so, please resubmit the coin, get this over with - finally - and don’t start any additional threads about the coin. Thank you.

I am respectfully considering all these valuable opinions. But JA told me something with the reverse of the coin was the reason for no gold even though he mentioned the strike as good not excellent. You as well have stated that strike usually doesn’t hold a grade from going higher so I think strike is not the major reason as some commentators are opining, but contact marks. I am not starting any new threads just trying to learn more. I am not going to resubmit at this time as it is expensive, but will reconsider for the future
    Thanks for your feedback

• Options

@MFeld said:

@Joey29 said:

@MasonG said:

@Joey29 said:

Ok- it happens.

With all due respect to other important opinions I perhaps latched on to CrazyHoundog because of his vast expertise and experience handling Buffalo Nickels all his life

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you should sell this coin and buy one whose grade matches your opinion. :)

You'll sleep much better.

• Options

@JBK said:
    I think you should sell this coin and buy one whose grade matches your opinion. :)

You'll sleep much better.

No way Lol. I love the coin. Will keep it permanently either as a 65 or 66 one day.

• Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

the grade of 65 is right where it belongs and will stay no matter who and when it is resbmitted

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2022 5:50PM

@BUFFNIXX said:
    the grade of 65 is right where it belongs and will stay no matter who and when it is resbmitted

What reasoning do you have behind that statement?

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file