Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you think this coin will get a green sticker, gold sticker, or no sticker at CAC?

Just received this 1926 nickel back from PCGS. Care to guess how it will fare at CAC? Please give me your best opinions.

Comments

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

Post the trueviews.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    Joey29Joey29 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭

Posting more photos

• Options

Yeah, still not doing it.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK... Not an exceptional Buff - based on the pictures. I have some 66 and 67 Buffs... So, without your coin in hand, I will say it merits a green sticker. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

The photos just aren't sharp enough to make a call.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2022 7:16AM

Hmmm no Trueviews - I thought all gold shield subs got Trueviews.

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Connecticoin said:
    Hmmm no Trueviews - I thought all gold shield subs got Trueviews

Trueviews have been delayed a couple of weeks. Eventually they will show up.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking coin. I would guess a green CAC sticker assuming JA is in a good mood. ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

is CAC determination possible without coin in hand?

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope that you get that bean but as stated previously, can't tell without seeing it in hand.
    No matter what, I like it.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see why not for a green sticker. Although, that's not really my series...

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

Green, not much chance of gold from these photos.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

remember when this used to be true?

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is no way for us to know from photos. Heck, even in hand... some buffs that I have sent in that I thought were sure hits did not bean.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

From what I can see here I’d say yes it’ll get the green sticker. The reverse strike looks stellar from what I can see. I see some weakness on the knot on Indian’s braid but that should keep it from a green bean at 65. Not good pics to judge from so there’s that.
    Good luck with that.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

My understanding of the story of this coin is as follows:
    1. You sent it to CAC as a 65 where JA mentioned it had the look of a higher graded coin but he couldn't sticker it with some residue on it
    2. You sent it to PCGS for express restoration service where it re-graded as 65 after restoration (TV not yet posted)
    3. now you are questioning if we think it will bean, but I think based on point #1 it's basically a bean already

Please don't take this harshly, what I see is that you are well over $100 into chasing an upgrade on this coin, at a certain point the cost does not justify the return. I would enjoy it for the nice coin that it is, maybe send it to CAC only if there are other coins going at the same time.

My opinion of the coin is that it is a nice looking MS65, with a more-or-less average strike. It looks better than the 65 that I currently have in my set. Shown here:

I didn't bother sending this one to CAC because I didn't think it had a chance.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

My taste matches that of @ricko , so I really like this coin. I agree with Detective @ChrisH821 , that it will get a green CAC.

Enjoy your lovely coin!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options

@winesteven said:
    My taste matches that of @ricko , so I really like this coin. I agree with Detective @ChrisH821 , that it will get a green CAC.

Enjoy your lovely coin!

Steve

Thanks the conservation made the coin so like minted yesterday look that it surprised me. The degree of luster is incredible. Now we will see if JA likes this type of look.

• Options

@ChrisH821 said:
    My understanding of the story of this coin is as follows:
    1. You sent it to CAC as a 65 where JA mentioned it had the look of a higher graded coin but he couldn't sticker it with some residue on it
    2. You sent it to PCGS for express restoration service where it re-graded as 65 after restoration (TV not yet posted)
    3. now you are questioning if we think it will bean, but I think based on point #1 it's basically a bean already

Please don't take this harshly, what I see is that you are well over $100 into chasing an upgrade on this coin, at a certain point the cost does not justify the return. I would enjoy it for the nice coin that it is, maybe send it to CAC only if there are other coins going at the same time.

My opinion of the coin is that it is a nice looking MS65, with a more-or-less average strike. It looks better than the 65 that I currently have in my set. Shown here:

I didn't bother sending this one to CAC because I didn't think it had a chance.

Well the transformation from lustrous gold toning to essentially brilliant incredible luster and fresh minted look surprised me. Thought the pvc solution wouldn’t affect the original color and toning. Depends on how JA reacts to this type of look. I still think chance for gold if he does like it otherwise who knows, green or even maybe no sticker.

• Options

@ricko said:
    OK... Not an exceptional Buff - based on the pictures. I have some 66 and 67 Buffs... So, without your coin in hand, I will say it merits a green sticker. Cheers, RickO

This coin is made for you actually lol.
    After conservation all gold color and toning gone. Just incredible blazing luster, bright as the day minted look.You would fall in love with this look. Amazing brilliance. Will sell it to you if you like after CAC results if okay.

• Options

Great looking coin. It looks like it was recently slabbed. Let's hope it was properly rinsed after it was dipped.

• Options

@PerryHall said:
    Great looking coin. It looks like it was recently slabbed. Let's hope it was properly rinsed after it was dipped.

Perry how can one tell if it was properly rinsed? I am assuming PCGS used Acetone or something similar to it to remove the PVC, and they know how to properly rinse after the dip

• Options

@Joey29 said:

@PerryHall said:

Perry how can one tell if it was properly rinsed? I am assuming PCGS used Acetone or something similar to it to remove the PVC, and they know how to properly rinse after the dip

If it was done by the profession conservators at PCGS you can be sure that it was properly rinsed. When a coin is dipped and improperly rinsed and then slabbed, the dip residue will cause the coin to eventually turn and become discolored inside the slab.

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

My casual and totally unreliable observation of CAC coins is that nickel coins seem to do pretty well. My equally useless guess is that the alloy holds up pretty well to abuse.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not JA. I'm glueless

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    Nice looking coin. I would guess a green CAC sticker assuming JA is in a good mood. ;)

I think it will earn the green sticker.

However, the slightly softer obverse central details will probably harm it.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2022 1:59PM

• Options
    Elcontador1Elcontador1 Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

@davewesen said:
    is CAC determination possible without coin in hand?

No. Sometimes it's not possible with the coin in hand. I've had experiences where nice coins for the grade did not get a sticker. All this is a matter of opinion, and unfortunately, opinions can change. Quickly.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

New holdered coins getting a gold stickers are few are far between.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@DelawareDoons said:
    Post the trueviews.

Here is the images. What do you think?

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2022 5:20PM

If any sticker, I would guess green. Comparing yours to a recent ebay sale in same grade/ with green bean, there was more detail over the braid and less chatter in that flat area on the stickered example. The example in pics below also had what I consider to be gorgeous toning for a Buff. Listing shows it sold for $299

Pics from Ebay !

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't say yes or no, but I will venture to say I see no reason why it wouldn't green bean. Nice coin.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2022 5:19PM

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    If any sticker, I would guess green. Comparing yours to a recent ebay sale in same grade/ with green bean, there was more detail over the braid and less chatter in that flat area on the stickered example. The example in pics below also had what I consider to be gorgeous toning for a Buff. Listing shows it sold for $299

Pics from Ebay

Sir I agree with you perhaps the coin is cleaner in some spots, but the luster seems very dull on the obverse, better on the reverse. My coin has incredible luster and eye appeal which makes up for some slight extra chatter which is possibly true from the photos. I would never buy any coin that had very substandard luster for any price. Also why did you send a ton of photos, not necessary, I get your points!
    Flash of my coin compared to yours.

• Options

No bean.

• Options

@DelawareDoons said:
    No bean.

Why do you think so?

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just copied pics from the listing. Different pics help me see more of the coins generally. By no means did I intend to disparage your coin in any way, I think yours is amazing too. It seems to have a wet gleaming luster. Just sharing my input as a fan of nice coins with stickers. I am no expert on grading or stickers.

• Options

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    I just copied pics from the listing. Different pics help me see more of the coins generally. By no means did I intend to disparage your coin in any way, I think yours is amazing too. It seems to have a wet gleaming luster. Just sharing my input as a fan of nice coins with stickers. I am no expert on grading or stickers.

Okay no worries. I still respect your right to your opinion.

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best image in link.

Nice looking coin.

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/43834366

• Options

@Goldbully said:
    Best image in link.

Nice looking coin.

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/43834366

Thanks

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

I said it earlier before this thread was revived - I believe it will get a green bean, mainly due to the luster, and grade as a 65, which I think is solid, at least from the photos.

Was this coin, graded 65, submitted to PCGS via Reconsideration, and come back unchanged as a 65?

Good luck with CAC!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not sure that all golden toning on nickel is due to residue. And not sure that JA can definitely determine that with the coin in a slab. But PCGS did not grade it Questionable Color, did they?

I think that the money you spent for restoration and CAC consideration could be better used in your pocket today. Most collectors and dealers that I know question blast white coins that are almost 100 years old. And if this coin is still blast white in another 50+ years a coin doctor might just have to add a little toning for effect.

All that said the coin looks too nice to be a 65 and should get a green bean.

OINK

• Options

@winesteven said:
    I said it earlier before this thread was revived - I believe it will get a green bean, mainly due to the luster, and grade as a 65, which I think is solid, at least from the photos.

Was this coin, graded 65, submitted to PCGS via Reconsideration, and come back unchanged as a 65?

Good luck with CAC!

Steve

Thanks so much Steven for your kind vote of confidence. This coin previously was a MS 65 submitted to CAC and rejected for PVC. JA told me the coin had a look of a much higher grade. So I decided to do conservation. Unfortunately it came back MS 65 so maybe I am missing something the professional graders see.

• Options
    edited March 13, 2022 7:48PM

@OldIndianNutKase said:
    I am not sure that all golden toning on nickel is due to residue. And not sure that JA can definitely determine that with the coin in a slab. But PCGS did not grade it Questionable Color, did they?

I think that the money you spent for restoration and CAC consideration could be better used in your pocket today. Most collectors and dealers that I know question blast white coins that are almost 100 years old. And if this coin is still blast white in another 50+ years a coin doctor might just have to add a little toning for effect.

All that said the coin looks too nice to be a 65 and should get a green bean.

OINK

Thanks for your input. I see many blast white coins with CAC stickers. See below.Even gold ones

• Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    I'm not JA. I'm glueless

Me three.

• Options

@Joey29 said:

@DelawareDoons said:
    No bean.

Why do you think so?

Strike is too flat for the year/mint.

Could be wrong, i just like a fuller strike for a philly myself.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file