Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I Sure Could Use Some Advice-2008 Gold Buffalo Set

numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭

I hope I'm not off base to ask for some of your acumen.I have some gold I'm trying to decide to grade or not (and decide to sell or not).Among the group is a 2008 gold Buffalo 4 coin set (with all the original packaging and coa).The 3 lower fractionals look perfect but...well,take a look at the obverse of the $50.I'm not sure how best to handle this problem...can you guys help me out to decide how best to deal with this.Would I replace it to better the set? Do I grade it as is? Do I sell the set as is? This is likely the only time I will have a set like this one and I really don't want to screw up (too badly anyway).Thanks in advance for any constructive input.

Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency

Comments

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,127 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't do it if I didn't think it had at least a shot at PR70.
    I'll leave it up to you if you believe your gold Buffalo could grade perfect.

peacockcoins

• Options
    LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would leave them as they are. If you ever chose to sell them you should first factor in the cost of sending them in and look at how much PR70 and PR69 examples sell for without the First Strike label and get an idea of how much you stand to possibly profit as you may get back either grade. Since your set is already opened you will not qualify for First Strike labels. My guess is that is minute traces of copper toning appearing on the temple, I do not have any suggestions for that though. Love the set, I have an ungraded one myself.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would recommend you sell 'as is'.... The cost of slabbing will impact profit level IMO. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    stawickstawick Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭

Ooooh nice. B) All 4 - me jelly. :o I got the 1/2 oz 2008 Buffalo. My Buffalos have been grading in the 69/70 range.

Anyway, I sent a couple other coins for grading a while back (link here) and it turned out they had copper spots or something. Maybe thats what you have, dunno?
    They still graded at 69, and came back with restoration recommendation stickers, so I did - to the tune of (another) ~$200+. But it removed the spots and they bumped to 70s. The bump (via the PCGS price guide) was 2x the restoration cost, so that was nice. YMMV.

• Options

Thanks for the quick and greatly appeciated help.I have decided to sell the set and am going to place it on eBay shortly......unless someone here wants it.I will price it on the bay at ,buy it now,$6600.I will sell it here direct for $6250 dlvd (fee free price).Any takers....I know this isn't the BST but I wanted to throw it out there for the folks who replied to help me first.I hope that's not wrong of me.Let me know if there's any interest quickly please as I am ready to list it (along with some more gold goodies including a 1.4 oz 4 coin Canadian fractional gold proof set,3/4 oz Kennedy gold proof and 1/2 oz First spouse-Jackie Kennedy).

Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would love to have had this set with the original box and papers. It was priced too far over melt in 2008, and a lot collectors and I didn’t buy them. Then this set became a one year type, and the prices exploded. The last time I had a shot a set, the price was $5,500. Oh well.

It seems that a lot of one ounce Buffalo coins have spots, despite the fact they are supposed .999 gold. There is nothing you can do about it, and the coin is not worth grading.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2022 12:52PM

If you list, be sure to point out the copper spot in your description or you will have an unhappy buyer.

In your ebay pricing research do not look only at asking prices (what sellers hope to get), look also at completed sale prices (what sellers actually get).

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

Will do! Thanks!

• Options

On hold!

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

Be sure to list them in the BST. Lots more lookers there. Best of luck.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

BST!

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    I would love to have had this set with the original box and papers. It was priced too far over melt in 2008, and a lot collectors and I didn’t buy them. Then this set became a one year type, and the prices exploded. The last time I had a shot a set, the price was $5,500. Oh well.

It seems that a lot of one ounce Buffalo coins have spots, despite the fact they are supposed .999 gold. There is nothing you can do about it, and the coin is not worth grading.

There is one on eBay right now https://www.ebay.com/itm/224904349509 and only a single bid of 6K with two more days to go.

:)

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for the reference, but I refuse to bid or even look at eBay auctions because of their snipping policies. Life is too short to spend constantly disappointed.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

eBay isn't the correct venue for this type of stuff you will do much better if you use a real auction company that promotes their auctions.

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

I assume by the OPs post of “on hold” the items are spoken for and just waiting for money to change hands. Looks like a happy ending.

• Options

Yes,indeed.The set has sold.Thanks big for the help!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file