Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you dissect every coin you get?

bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess for me anyway, it doesn't seem time worthy to take out a high power loupe or a microscope to look for anamolies in every coin I get that just doesn't jump out at me with the naked eye or even a small 2x pocket magnifier. It doesn't seem like there would be any value to it except maybe a little " cool factor" even though it usually adds no value to the coin. I know we have a lot roll searchers here, so what is the initiative for those that do this? Just curious.
Bobby

Comments

• Options
    JW77JW77 Posts: 461 ✭✭✭✭✭

I typically buy PCGS CAC coins that meet my personal taste for eye appeal. Based on the CAC sticker I know I have a high quality coin for the grade. If I buy the coin in an auction I like to to check out the luster if it is the first time I am seeing the coin in hand. As far as using a loupe, I stopped a long time ago. If I'm happy with the grade, luster an overall appeal to the naked eye, that is good enough for me. I don't have a desire to see every tiny defect that is not visible to the naked eye.

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

yes i look over the coins i buy or want to buy that way i can see if the coin is going to fit into my collection or not

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

I look at every coin in my collection. I haven't used a loupe on every coin.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd say 75% or more for me.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel safer even for a spell looking at coins then I do tv these days, fwiw

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

Generally not. I will use a loupe for inspecting hits, verifying cleaning vs die polish, and to help see smaller details. Usually a 3x power is enough for me.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since I photograph every new coin I get, I get huge images anyway. Since my photos over emphasize every mark on the coin, I get to spot them too.

All of my Ancient Rome and British coins are pictured in notebooks I maintain that cover the history of the monarch that appears on them. So I guess you would have say that I do look at everything in detail.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    I loupe every coin I get, most are also viewed at 10x and 30x with my binocular dissecting microscope 🔬
    I like to be very familiar with what is added to my collection.
    As a variety hunter I prefer to get really close to verify or disqualify findings.

I agree and, Bobby, the cool factor is what coin collecting is all about to me.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

The cool factor for me falls into the rpm's, off-centers and stuff like that. I have to admit, the small die chips, minute doubling and so on, doesn't really have me searching for them.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Each and every time before a purchase.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bsshog40 said:
    The cool factor for me falls into the rpm's, off-centers and stuff like that. I have to admit, the small die chips, minute doubling and so on, doesn't really have me searching for them.

Completely agree, if I cannot see it with my eye or maybe a 5X loupe to verify then it just is not important enough to care about to me. Like Bill said I enjoy taking photos, (and at times having photos taken) of my coins, this allows me to enjoy my coins as most are away at the SDB and also gives me the opportunity to see anything I may have missed before.

Nothing against the roll search and electron microscope guys, but I have no interest in those kind of activities.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    OmegaraptorOmegaraptor Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m a variety hawk so I use a 16x loupe. Lost it at the last big show I was at and need to buy another.

"You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

• Options
    Raybob15239Raybob15239 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

I collect VAMs, so yes, I do.

Successful B/S/T transactions: As Seller: PascoWA (June 2008); MsMorrisine (April 2009); ECHOES (July 2009) As Buyer: bfjohnson (July 2008); robkool (Dec 2010); itsnotjustme (Dec 2010) TwoSides2aCoin (Dec 2018) PrivateCoin Jan 2019
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2022 3:10PM

I am very critical. Tiny flaws can bother me to NO END.

I notice what others don't even see, at times.

It can give one a sick stomach. :#:p

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

I watch my tv with a loupe. Just kidding...but seriously, I look at some of my coins with a loupe but not all of them. Plus as I get older, my vision is needing a little magnification!

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the moment a coin arrives it is off to QC 😉🙀🦫. My associates 🐈

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh yes. Under the 10x loupe, everything goes. And in different light sources as well.

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

I analyze individual flow lines at 40X under multiple light sources.
    I know it's not normal ;)

Did you know Barber was so skilled he was able to put little fingernails on Liberty's torch hand?
    How are you going to fully appreciate that without some magnification?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not a variety collector, so rarely use magnification on coins. I do carry a loupe though, and if something gets my attention, I will check it out closely. On DD's, I do confirm with a loupe - well, not for the major ones of course. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

Varieties that I can see without magnification are of interest to me, but as mainly a type collector I use a loupe only if I spot an area that concerns me. I get the attraction and excitement of discovery looking for minor varieties and minting anomalies, just not for me.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 said:
    Busted, I examine every coin with a loupe and a USB microscope. I take medication for this condition. Peace Roy

There's nothing wrong with you, Roy.

It's everyone else that's messed up.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    1946Hamm1946Hamm Posts: 768 ✭✭✭✭✭

I scan every coin I buy at 1200 dpi to inspect it closely. A scanner doesn't show luster but brings details out very well.

Have a good day, Gary
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

The closer you look at a coin, the worse it looks. 10x is the most I will do for inspection.
    For viewing and appreciating, usually no magnification or 5x and not under a harsh light.

Collector, occasional seller

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file