Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New Collector- My 2nd PCGS submission was returned to me- I will quit this hobby

13»

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SPalladino said:
    Millennial

Too young to be a millennial

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are under 25 and interested in something, you will have a LONG time to get better at it.

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2022 2:54PM

With all due respect to the OP, I might suggest that their approach to this hobby was off on the wrong track from the start. Just basing it on the limited description offered initially, it seems their motive was to hit a financial home run - not to collect for the joy of filling an album and learning along the way.
    They admitted to searching vast quantities of rolls and mint releases- in search of a very elusive modern ultra-gem.
    I might politely suggest, searching for silver and more obvious mint errors while filling some albums along the way is a lot more fun!
    Ultra high end modern coins are out on the very fringes IMO, and much more idiosyncratic and elusive than say- Morgan VAM’s and Lincoln cent errors.
    But, it seems the damage may have already been done- to your enthusiasm for the hobby.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trying hard as others have to keep it on the positive. The anger and hostility bit need to be boxed (slabbed? LOL), but interestingly - and I could be mistaken - I think the original poster may actually be quite intelligent but perhaps with a bit of bipolar disorder thrown in, or something to that effect.
    Also, the world of high grade moderns is IMHO just to subjective for a younger (or older) person to get into. I probably have had some severe disagreements about some of the grades I have seen both high and low but at the end of the day realized that we all need to concede that the TPGs are businesses that we do not run and can choose or not to use them.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

Interesting post by the OP and predictably nobody has stepped up to defend her at least in part, questioning Favoritism and integrity of the grading service. I’ll be the first.

For the most part I believe the grading services to be honest and fair, but they are human and mistakes are made sometimes. Then I take a close look at two coins owned by high profile billionaire that were awarded the prestigious 67 (+). Compare these two coins to my coin that was rejected twice for an upgrade and it makes you seriously wonder WTF happened in the grading room??? Different eyes on it, different day who knows? But twice? This is a first ballot unanimous hall of famer I know grading is subjective but a near flawless coin should be graded on its merit.

The dealer who sold me the coin is the strictest grader on the planet and has an unparalleled success rate at CAC, like North of 90%. JA “If that’s not a plus then what is”. David Hall “This coin is a Monster”

I don’t really give a bleep if my coin is not in the right grade, it’s not for sale and I am still buying. My dealer said “Enjoy the coin, just keep it in the old holder”. He is absolutely correct!

Still I cannot understand why the billionaire collectors are getting pluses with coins not even in the same league as mine!

I just enjoy my coins.

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm really glad I got up late and missed this post

• Options
    RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 923 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have had the belief for a long time that who submits the coins can be as important as what the coin is... However, when I exited coins in 2014 I sent in a bunch of coins for re-grade before Heritage liquidated my collection. The results of the re grades really put holes in my beliefs.
    Chasing modern grade rarities requires a strong eye and a shit ton of patience. Not many have the eye or patience of @wondercoin and what he has built in the modern realm.
    It sucks that we see the temper tantrum but believe @SanctionII has shed light on the cause of said temper tantrum.

Oh well... never thought about going into a public forum and picking a fight with the hosts and all the people in the forum... seems a weird use of time.

C'est la vie.

J

• Options

@MasonG said:

@MFeld said:
    A number of the very high grade coins seen in the population reports were likely bought by the “billionaire collectors” in those holders, rather than submitted for grading by them.

I was just getting ready to write this, but I see I don't have to.

How many billionaires out there do you suppose there are, who are going to spend hours and hours (and hours and hours) sorting through mint sets looking for top pops to submit, anyway, as opposed to just buying them after someone else puts in the time?

They have people doing that for them, not checking mint sets but checking for high grade rare coins

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,426 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alaura22 said:

@MasonG said:

@MFeld said:
    A number of the very high grade coins seen in the population reports were likely bought by the “billionaire collectors” in those holders, rather than submitted for grading by them.

How many billionaires out there do you suppose there are, who are going to spend hours and hours (and hours and hours) sorting through mint sets looking for top pops to submit, anyway, as opposed to just buying them after someone else puts in the time?

They have people doing that for them, not checking mint sets but checking for high grade rare coins

If that’s the case, do you think the billionaires are the ones who submit the coins?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@alaura22 said:

@MasonG said:

@MFeld said:

If that’s the case, do you think the billionaires are the ones who submit the coins?

I vote "No".

• Options

@MFeld said:

I think there are a not-insignificant number of people out there who would easier believe that there are others who get favors on their grades than that they aren't as good at grading as they think they are.

But then, that's just me...

• Options

@MFeld said:

@alaura22 said:

@MasonG said:

@MFeld said:

No Mark, The same people that find them also sumit them IF they are not alraedy holdered.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,426 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alaura22 said:

@MFeld said:

@alaura22 said:

@MasonG said:

@MFeld said:

No Mark, The same people that find them also sumit them IF they are not alraedy holdered.

That would be my answer, as well, and it brings me back to the part of the post from @Kenneth1830, I have copied below. My point was and is that billionaires probably don’t submit coins for grading. And anyone who submits coins on their behalf probably submits for non-billionaires, too.

“For the most part I believe the grading services to be honest and fair, but they are human and mistakes are made sometimes. Then I take a close look at two coins owned by high profile billionaire that were awarded the prestigious 67 (+). Compare these two coins to my coin that was rejected twice for an upgrade and it makes you seriously wonder WTF happened in the grading room??? Different eyes on it, different day who knows? But twice? This is a first ballot unanimous hall of famer I know grading is subjective but a near flawless coin should be graded on its merit.”

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2022 4:34PM

@TomB said:
    Well, your attitude sucks, your knowledge of the hobby-industry sucks and your eye for coins may or may not suck (but it likely sucks, too) so I guess that makes you a perfect three-for-three. You are right, this hobby isn't for you and you would probably be better off gone.

Luv it and wholeheartedly agree. LMAO Can't get over the attention this post elicited.

• Options

Kwang is the winner here.
    He is getting his loooong goodbye.
    LOL

• Options

Mark, I agree 100%

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is it about rolls of coins that seems to bring out the cray?
    🤔

• Options

@jayPem said:
    What is it about rolls of coins that seems to bring out the cray?
    🤔

Not just that. Let someone post about a collection they inherited and watch what happens.

• Options
    JW77JW77 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Baycity said:
    Kwang is the winner here.
    He is getting his loooong goodbye.
    LOL

So True, I challenge everyone to stop posting starting right now. :) After some initial intrigue over the subject matter, it has evolved into a total bore.

• Options

@JW77 said:
    So True, I challenge everyone to stop posting starting right now.

You could have not posted yourself, you know. ;)

@JW77 said:
    After some initial intrigue over the subject matter, it has evolved into a total bore.

Not boring enough to stop you from saying something about it, though. Right? ;)

• Options
    JW77JW77 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:

@JW77 said:
    So True, I challenge everyone to stop posting starting right now.

You could have not posted yourself, you know. ;)

@JW77 said:
    After some initial intrigue over the subject matter, it has evolved into a total bore.

Not boring enough to stop you from saying something about it, though. Right? ;)

you lost the challenge and now so have I

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2022 5:15PM

Thank you Relaxn. I started submitting Clad Roosevelt Dimes seriously to PCGS over 23 years ago. And by “seriously’’, I mean putting up Show grading money to submit them while other dealers were paying the same price for submitting early 19th century beauties, Carson City dollars, etc. I have yet to master the clad Roosevelt Dime! Lol. I will still submit some show coins to this day that I get destroyed on!! While a few other work out.

To the OP (same thing I tell my 2 all grown up kids)- don’t quit submitting Mint State Clad Roosevelt Dimes until your 222nd submission attempt, not on your second try!! It’s a sleeper series IMHO!

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

@JW77 said:
    you lost the challenge and now so have I

To be fair, I never agreed to participate in your challenge. :)

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,607 ✭✭✭✭✭

the old coins are easy money route again huh? never works well and never will
    one has to understand the coin hobby and not just jump in expecting a huge payday

but then again people and greed don't go well in this hobby

1997-Present

• Options
    Panda4456Panda4456 Posts: 362 ✭✭✭

Those dimes look like 💩

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I didn't waste time reading the entire thread, but you might be right. Maybe this isn't the right hobby for you.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2022 7:46PM

@Pnies20 said:
    What am I missing? 1978 D? Is a full torch hard to find?

In MS65 FB its a $90 coin if MS66FB closer to $400.

EDIT- no matter if the OP coin is FB or not ( hard to tell from photos) It definitely is NOT a MS66 coin. 64+ maybe 65 so he is probably mad that he has lost money by submitting it for grading.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

@wondercoin said:
    Thank you Relaxn. I started submitting Clad Roosevelt Dimes seriously to PCGS over 23 years ago. And by “seriously’’, I mean putting up Show grading money to submit them while other dealers were paying the same price for submitting early 19th century beauties, Carson City dollars, etc. I have yet to master the clad Roosevelt Dime! Lol. I will still submit some show coins to this day that I get destroyed on!! While a few other work out.

To the OP (same thing I tell my 2 all grown up kids)- don’t quit submitting Mint State Clad Roosevelt Dimes until your 222nd submission attempt, not on your second try!! It’s a sleeper series IMHO!

Wondercoin

LOL.
    I gave up after submitting pocket change I recd. on my various trips last year for the coin quest. :blush:
    Have a few that needs to be sent across to the hosts at some point but right now don't want to push my luck with either USPS or Fedex.
    Driving eight hours one way to get them graded at the Baltimore show this weekend was on my mind but then on mature thinking, decided to leave my 1909 S v.d.b, 1877 Indian head penny, 1885, 1886 & 1912 V nickel along with the keys of Barber Halves, Walking Liberty, Franklin Halves etc. - they can stay raw in the Dansco for now.
    o:)

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow that alt sure left a very bitter aftertaste, with a hint of bile!

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

TTT for JW77. ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah... wow! Unfortunately, I did read the whole thread... that's about 15 minutes of my life I'll not be getting back.

"...a man's got to know his limitations..."

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pnies20 said:
    What am I missing? 1978 D? Is a full torch hard to find?

Actually yes. The quality of clads from the 70's, 80's and early 90's just wasn't there. Some years better than others.
    The 78 D in ms66 price guide is $ 12. Same coin ms66fb is $ 400.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kwang said:
    And you all succeeded in giving opinions about all sorts of things relevent or not. Many jumping far in thier conclusions. But not 1 single 1 wants to even mention the photos?

I did not see where you asked for any opinion in your original post. You posted a TV and said you were quitting this hobby. So, quit. Sorry to see you go. What makes you think we could read your mind? I don't do dimes but I can say it's a MS65 with that chatter on the cheek. Might be the best of the 2,700 but that does not mean much. We have no clue as you what you were using as learning tools or your grading expertise. Personally I've looked at tens of thousands of Morgan dollars and still get a different opinion that the graders quite often.
    What grade did you expect? Looks pretty average or slightly above for a mint set coin. Keep in mind that there were over 282 million minted in Denver that year. It appears you are trying to find that proverbial needle in a haystack super high grade example.
    There are less than 600 graded by PCGS in all MS grades. And less than 100 in 66 and only one in 67. Most average 65/66 about a 50/50 split it appears.
    Oh, I see you already left. I'll end it here.
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're scaring me little sister. I have coins in for grading.

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was the 'second' submission. I really want to know about the first. Shane. Shane comeback and tell us about your first time.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

@streeter said:
    This was the 'second' submission. I really want to know about the first. Shane. Shane comeback and tell us about your first time.

As Foreigner would croon “it feels like the first time, yeah it feels like the very first time”! >:)

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fun thread to start my week. >:)B):D

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK, bye.

This discussion has been closed.