Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New Collector- My 2nd PCGS submission was returned to me- I will quit this hobby

Comments

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

"I go." And hopefully will stay gone.

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very laudable how helpful and patient many of you are with this, um, person.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Poof......

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey,,, how bout them Mets this year?

Have a nice day
  • Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your coins didn't grade the way you expected and aren't worth what you think they should be because of the cesspool of capitalism?

O-kay.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

Adios.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wait what? Buh bye.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2022 9:14AM

Grading is an opinion. Do not be upset that the opinion of professionals who have been grading for years is different from someone who is not and has not. Don't play the sex card, your name never entered the grading room. A serious collector would take this as a learning experience. Someone looking to score profit would be very unhappy.

The things I don’t always agree with are always worth considering.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well that was interesting. :)

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reading this helped take the edge off a 4.5 hour layover. If a streaming service were to make a reality drama series titled "The Disgruntled Coin Submitter" this would certainly become the script of the next episode.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭✭

I predict poof

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too much drama for me. Run issues like this by even the most educated high iq people and they will scratch their heads. Life is too short.

• Options
    edited March 27, 2022 9:34AM

@Kwang said:

65 FB

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

I had upper left correct

I wasn’t sure about the lower right because of the shadows on the right and left of the lower band

• Options

Since we have time before it goes poof, try a guess the grade - but don’t post screenshots of the trueviews.

Go to where your TV is the only thing on the screen and it’s huge
    Copy the TV image
    Paste the TV in the image editor and block out the cert number
    Put a Number (1,2,3,…) there instead
    Copy the TV from the image editor and paste it into the thread

If you’ve got like 20 to do, make 4 threads of 5

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

@Kwang said:

65 no FB

I agree with you on this one. With the marks on the obverse I would not give it a 66 and would not be too surprised if I saw it in a 64 holder. The reverse is not well struck and the bottom band on the left side is not fully split.

• Options
    edited March 27, 2022 9:49AM

Btw you’re going to be bammed

Perhaps if people edit out the posts, including the op you won’t be

But keep the pictures part!

• Options

@Batman23 said:

@MsMorrisine said:

@Kwang said:

65 no FB

I agree with you on this one. With the marks on the obverse I would not give it a 66 and would not be too surprised if I saw it in a 64 holder. The reverse is not well struck and the bottom band on the left side is not fully split.

I took back the no FB and gave it FB

• Options

As far as FB from those TVs the shadows at the edges make it tough.

What also makes it tough is that I don’t want to be wrong and have it said that FB is some random thing or that the people here don’t know anything

• Options

@Kwang said:
    I submitted 8 coins. JBK alot of opinions, some way out on a limb but none about the photos? Everyone walking on eggshells it seems when it comes to them.

Eggshells- those TV have shadows. I don’t want to be wrong

8 TVs - 2 threads of 4 to guess the grade

• Options

@JBK said:
    @Kwang said:

. Hey, who wants to play a game with me? It will be like a going away or good riddence gift. Anyone?

3 pictures, 6 dimes. Are they both full bands? None full bands? Or is one FB and one not?
    6 answers: what do you think they are?

In light of your ongoing combativeness toward other members, I'll go ahead and quote you just so everyone can read your original rant even if edited later. ;)

• Options
    edited March 27, 2022 10:06AM

Come on jbk

Give the person a fighting chance of not being bammed

Edit

• Options
    CCDollarCCDollar Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nickel Triumph...My Led Zepps
  • Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's an art to making top pops. You want to start with an easy to grade coin then guide their eye higher. So if I wanted to make a 67 Morgan, I would send in a 63 (baseline), then behind it, a 64, then a 5, then a 6, then a 7. Each coin being clearly nicer than the prior.

Seeing as you're quitting the hobby due to your inability to grade, I'll just wrap this up by wishing you the best.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons said:
    There's an art to making top pops. You want to start with an easy to grade coin then guide their eye higher. So if I wanted to make a 67 Morgan, I would send in a 63 (baseline), then behind it, a 64, then a 5, then a 6, then a 7. Each coin being clearly nicer than the prior.

Seeing as you're quitting the hobby due to your inability to grade, I'll just wrap this up by wishing you the best.

And what happens when the coins are viewed in a different order from how you so strategically arranged them?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2022 10:33AM

@MFeld said:

@DelawareDoons said:

And what happens when the coins are viewed in a different order from how you so strategically arranged them?

Well, in that event, they're usually moving backwards. It's not too common they get shuffled completely outta order.

Side note; Most of the time when I'm doing this I am talking about bulk grading as well, so I am submitting in rolls. And yes, I have lots of success getting higher grades this way.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,893 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hopefully @Kwang will become as proficient at grading as he at finger pointing.
    I'm not holding my breath.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a waste of time this was.

No amount of anything will dissuade the clueless.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

What am I missing? 1978 D? Is a full torch hard to find?

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gaslighting?

• New Collector- My 2nd PCGS submission was returned to me- I will quit this hobby
    • A Trueview picture

What am I missing? I would hope that coins sent to PCGS would be returned, that is what everyone would expect... If you sent coins to PCGS and they weren't returned to you, i supposed there would be a lot of people that would stop the service.

There are many Trueview pictures, thanks for posting one of the hundreds of thousands.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII said:

Failure is the best teacher, as you learn more from it than you learn from your successes.

How true.

The OP could have come here to express frustration, for example, and ask for guidance as to why their expectations didn't match reality.

Instead, they chose to condemn the process that they don't understand.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2022 11:18AM

@jessewvu said:
    Gaslighting?

• New Collector- My 2nd PCGS submission was returned to me- I will quit this hobby
    • A Trueview picture

What am I missing? I would hope that coins sent to PCGS would be returned, that is what everyone would expect... If you sent coins to PCGS and they weren't returned to you, i supposed there would be a lot of people that would stop the service.

There are many Trueview pictures, thanks for posting one of the hundreds of thousands.

You’re missing the portion of the original post, which has since been removed by the OP.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

I was the second member to reply to @Kwang 's original post, which has since been removed by the author. In my first response, you will see that it was edited. I had originally formatted the rant into paragraphs, versus that wall-o-text that it was, and as preserved in one of @JBK 's subsequent posts. Then I decided to delete it to give @Kwang a chance to edit. Glad that @JBL preserved it.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@jessewvu said:
    Gaslighting?

• A Trueview picture

You’re missing the portion of the original post, which has since been removed by the OP.

JBK captured her original opening post using the quote feature. He anticipated that she may delete it to cover her tracks and he was correct.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SPalladino said:
    Millennial

Not a Millennial, the OP was Gen Z

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭✭✭

Goodbye KANG,,,,

If we are talking about Full Bands none of the dimes appear to have them.
    They are all closed on the sides of the torch.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can't send coins to PCGS like you would purchase scratch-off tickets at your local convenience store. If you scratch a winner, good on you. If all your tickets are losers, don't complain to the store clerk, and certainly don't embarrass yourself by posting how good of a scratcher you are to a public forum and show off your losing tickets.
    Win some, lose some.
    Be joyful when you win. Be an adult when you lose.

peacockcoins

• Options
    Panda4456Panda4456 Posts: 362 ✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2022 2:14PM

You couldnt pay me to own those dimes. Those are ugly.

This discussion has been closed.