Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New Collector- My 2nd PCGS submission was returned to me- I will quit this hobby

KwangKwang Posts: 17
edited March 28, 2022 8:47AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 26, 2022 10:48PM

@Kwang Please take a deep breathe and relax a bit.

Regarding your sentiments, please know that MOST new collectors experience your frustration with third-party grading at some point. I sure did, and I said some of the same things you are upset about.

Those with an open mind will figure things out quickly, learn and adjust accordingly. It is an expensive education, but it is a great one! Others never learn and keep collecting for years, all while miserably complaining the entire time. And finally, others will simply give up and quit.

Why not take this as a learning experience? Btw, your post contains some mistruths and inaccuracies. For example, the graders at PCGS do not know who submitted a coin, nor would they care. Others can elaborate more on this subject.

Regarding the photos you posted, I have my opinion, but I will yield to the Roosevelt dime experts on this forum.

• Options

BTW, how many coins did you submit?

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh dear. Once again a dissatisfied customer.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can't determine designations from photos, you need coin in hand, good light and loupe.
    Have you watched grading videos? taken any 2 day or week courses?

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are threads here all the time of seasoned collectors and well known dealers having coins come back lower than anticipated. Welcome to that club. Better luck next time. Post more and ask more.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

“ 3 pictures, 6 dimes. Are they both full bands”?

I’m confused.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

Interesting that no one has the gumpshion to even give an opinion as to the photos. One won't share and one needs the perfect requirements before they will give an opinion. If you can't tell from a TRUE view photo that there isn't full bands, will they somehow miraculousky appear in a loupe?

I never said I was chasing rarieties or anything like that. I will tell you that I submited a SBA in July it came back a 66, cracked it open and sent it back and it was returned a 65 this time. I'm not sure what is slanderous or so terrible but good job steering the post elsewhere. In a place with so many experts, with so much knowledge and so much advise and chastising, not a singe one has the **** to even give an opinion. Telling. Maybe all of us need a class, hmmm?

• Options

I submitted 8 coins. JBK alot of opinions, some way out on a limb but none about the photos? Everyone walking on eggshells it seems when it comes to them.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,814 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kwang said:
    Interesting that no one has the gumpshion to even give an opinion as to the photos. One won't share and one needs the perfect requirements before they will give an opinion.

So after trashing PCGS you are now criticizing forum members. :*

• Options

Great. JKB, stir that pot all you can. Write that i should change it and then post the original in case i do. Contradict yourself much?
    I would really like to know how numisma claims to know the interworkings of the PCGS graders and their mindset. Also, interested in how in the world they could keep track of coins without the submission sheet that goes with them and has names at the top of them. It seems to me that your post about inaccuracies had plenty of it's own.

• Options
    edited March 27, 2022 1:01AM

@Kwang said:

I never said I was chasing rarieties or anything like that. I will tell you that I submited a SBA in July it came back a 66, cracked it open and sent it back and it was returned a 65 this time.

Hmm. Sounds like you were chasing a 67 or 68. When it didn't grade that high you cracked it out and resubmitted, obviously hoping for a higher grade.

I'm not sure what is slanderous or so terrible...

You were smart to post this on a Saturday when the moderators aren't around, but something tells me they'll take a look early next week and maybe give an opinion. ;)

• Options

@Kwang said:
    I submitted 8 coins. JBK alot of opinions, some way out on a limb but none about the photos? Everyone walking on eggshells it seems when it comes to them.

You are not getting "guesses" regarding the FB on the dimes because they would be just that: guesses.

PCGS and NGC graders do not grade from photos. They have special lighting and tools in a controlled grading room. To determine a Full Band (Roosevelt & Mercury), Full Bell Line (Franklins), etc., you need to rotate the coin under the light with magnification. Can't do that from a low resolution photo.

Regardless, you say that the six coins you posted are Trueviews, but you blurred out the cert numbers so we cannot access the actual Trueviews via the PCGS website. From a Trueview photo, one could make a decent guess on Full Bands, but from a screenshot of a Trueview, it really would be an average guess.

But just for fun, I see three potential Full Band dimes in your six photos. What do I win?

• Options

And you all succeeded in giving opinions about all sorts of things relevent or not. Many jumping far in thier conclusions. But not 1 single 1 wants to even mention the photos?

• Options
    0ronron0ronron Posts: 248 ✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2022 1:09AM

Maybe try humbling yourself and Asking for help or opinions before making accusations might get you the responses you are looking for.

IMO..

Thank you, Heavenly Father, for first loving us.

• Options
    edited March 27, 2022 1:11AM

@Kwang said:

I would really like to know how numisma claims to know the interworkings of the PCGS graders and their mindset. Also, interested in how in the world they could keep track of coins without the submission sheet that goes with them and has names at the top of them. It seems to me that your post about inaccuracies had plenty of it's own.

Well, the PCGS grading process is documented online and in their company literature. Here's an old 2007 video that explains the PCGS system and why it is safe. It may be old, but the process is the same. Please skip to about the 1:00 mark and your question will be clearly answered.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=hAQv6qmGcis&t=91s

• Options

numisa , i understand what you say. And I see 4 full bands but I wouldn't know for sure without coins in hand and perfect lighting. But standing on my head in almost the dark I can tell you which 2 for sure dont have full bands. Never has and never will. And sorry You win nothing because you didnlt say which ones.
    And I marked out the numbers because I wanted to get a inocent opinion on a photo is all. I know if there isn;t full bands there then you can have all the lighting magnification and do everything possible but they are not going to appear.

• Options

Are you honestly giving me 15 year old information and claiming it accurate today? I am suprised nothing clicked as you were posting that. 15 years ago i was 7. smh

• Options

And again why would the submission paper with the numbers that match the coins be seperated from the coins themselves? Does the vidoe say that because that doesn't make sense?

• Options

@Kwang said:
    Are you honestly giving me 15 year old information and claiming it accurate today? I am suprised nothing clicked as you were posting that. 15 years ago i was 7. smh

My friend, please calm down. Nobody is attacking you here. Rather, we are trying to help.

Regarding the "15 year old information," It is actually 36 year old information, but filmed 15 years ago. It is timeless information since it has been the PCGS process since day one. But to satisfy your need, here's a link to the same information (in writing) on the PCGS website (published 2022):

https://pcgs.com/pcgs-grading-process-video

Note that the video on the PCGS website is the same one featuring David Hall (one of the founders and former CEO) that I linked from YouTube. In all fairness, they probably should update that video to keep it fresh, LOL.

• Options

I will leave this post as i know none of you would dare give your opinion on the photos. I will order you guys some little short skirts and some pom poms since there will be no worries that any one of your **** might show. We will stitch them all with the 4 letters you blindly defend and your will be all set. Blindly following anything and thinking that you could know or predict the thoughts of another is very sheeplike. My post is my opinion. i believe every word of it. And alot of you defended and have gone against it but your responces were as flawed as my original post. You post opinions as fact. You take a video from the place made 15 years ago and claim it as a certainty today. You give the impression of sheep. One calls it terrible and slanderous which overblown and completely innacurate and purposely draws attention as they state how they arent. And btw Slander is oral. Your accusations should have been libel but hey you guys are the experts so claim whatever you think and call them facts. I will leave this thread now as it went about the way I expects. I lot of ducking and diving and comments that are opinions giving as fact. And of course the pot stirrer. Who don;t even know what slander is even as they accuse me of it. We could all learn something from tonight.

• Options

Oh and sorry, last thing numisa if you happened to think the first one on the top left or the last one on the bottom right had full bands you would be correct. They do. I mean the so called experts we should all trust said they didn't have them but that don't mean they don't, right? And if you thought that last one on the bottom left. You know the one that dont even have part of a band on it? The worst looking one of the 6 didn't have full bands. Well you would be wrong. They are there but just invisible. they will miraculous appear only when viewed through a loupe. Bye all.

• Options

the truviews have shadows on lower right band where it meets the field, but none of them look FB to me

• Options

Top right, middle right, bottom left= full band according to the only opinion that matters, which isnt me.

top left and bottom right are the source of my extreme ire as they are mine.

Now cheerleaders and defenders ...... GO!
    tells us all how it is all perfectlly perfect

• Options

@Kwang said:
    And btw Slander is oral. Your accusations should have been libel...

Yes, you are correct on this one point.

I had to decide which to use. Your attacks on PCGS were technically in writing, but I wasn't sure if extemporaneous screed on a forum counted as published material.

In the context of a forum, which is basically social media, I somehow felt it was essentially spoken, at least figuratively if not literally. So, I opted for "slander".

But, if you are admitting to libel I won't challenge you on that.

• Options

Trashing PCGS? I said they were the only grader that mattered. My insults were wrapped in compliments.

• Options

I go. Goodnight. And we had discussions like a forum should. A success. Toodles.

• Options
    edited March 27, 2022 2:06AM

@JBK said:

@Kwang said:

I had to decide which to use. Your attacks on PCGS were technically in writing, but I wasn't sure if extemporaneous screed on a forum counted as published material.

In the context of a forum, which is basically social media, I somehow felt it was essentially spoken, at least figuratively if not literally. So, I opted for "slander".

That was eloquently stated. Are you an attorney?

• Options

Admitting libel? I corrected your inaccurate comment is all. Your false claim Nice try though pot stirer. I admit to nothing and you might also since you are doing a little tap dance like you knew slander from libel check the requirements for each. 5 elements and they weren't all present. But you knew that too already, didn't you? I bet you were the hall monitor and the one the teacher called on to rat out the other kid. I habve to stop reading comments amd leave here.

• Options

@numisma said:

@JBK said:

@Kwang said:

That was eloquently stated. Are you an attorney?

Thx! But no...

I did represent myself once in front of a state tax hearing on a very messy and complex issue, and they decided in my favor and told me that what I accomplished had never been done before. :smile:

So, I quit while I was ahead and retired with a lifetime record of 1-0. B)

• Options

I beat 4 felonies and 2 misemeaners and did the biggest no no ever and argued criminal charges pro se. I am also 1-0 and your words weren nice on the 2 step retract but to say this could ever be remotely considered oral and i type so much my finges ache. Is a about as weak an arguement as it gets. But congrats on the tax win

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow!

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,097 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kwang said:
    Trashing PCGS? I said they were the only grader that mattered. My insults were wrapped in compliments.

You said far more than that.

• Options
    edited March 27, 2022 2:54AM

@Kwang said:
    I beat 4 felonies and 2 misemeaners...

:o The wording implies that you got away with something.

But congrats on the tax win

Thx. And to be clear, I didn't just beat a tax rap, I proved that I didn't owe what they wanted to make me pay.

In criminal court you are presumed innocent unless proven guilty. In my tax case, they consider you "guilty" (liable to pay) unless you can prove otherwise, and you have to make your case to the people who serve as judge, Jury, and executioner.

• Options

@JBK said:

@Kwang said:
    I beat 4 felonies and 2 misemeaners...

:o The wording implies that you got away with something.

But congrats on the tax win

Thx. And to be clear, I didn't just beat a tax rap, I proved that I didn't owe what they wanted to make me pay.

In criminal court you are presumed innocent unless proven guilty. In my tax case, they consider you "guilty" (liable to pay) unless you can prove otherwise, and you have to make your case to the people who serve as judge, Jury, and executioner.

they meant to say falsely accused of ....

• Options
    edited March 27, 2022 3:09AM

Or did they... :D

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've read through this entire thread and thought long and hard about what my contribution would be. Here it is: There are millions of people who have enjoyed the coin collecting hobby with no thought as to profit. There are millions more who have made a good living at it. There are very, very few who have made a killing at it. It seems as though our OP wants to be one of the few. Maybe they need to look for their opportunities elsewhere.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Apparently he’s taking your advice. Seems as though he’s checking out prison life as a lifestyle .

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you truly believe PCGS is biased, there are other services to try. But I agree with someone earlier in the thread. This is likely an alt of someone with an axe to grind.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cheezhed said:
    So how was the first submission?

Maybe those had the Full Steps gradings?

This discussion has been closed.