Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Jim McGuigan half cent collection to be auctioned by Heritage August 2022 Chicago.

raysrays Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

Preliminary images posted. Includes this goodie:

1796 1/2C C-1, NO POLE, BN MS63BN CERTIFICATION #30451184, PCGS #35095

Comments

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet teaser!

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a very nice half cent.... amazing condition for 226 years old. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've heard it'll be a stunner!

Tom

• Options
    gschwernkgschwernk Posts: 338 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope this renews interest in early copper. Early gold is on fire while early copper not so much.

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gschwernk Might be time to add some pieces to the collection when
    the series is a bit relaxed.

• Options
    edited March 24, 2022 1:32PM

@Tibor said:

While I don’t think there are any million $ coins in this set, there should be several in the $250-$500k range.
    Not the most valuable coin, but his 1797 gripped edge is one of only three certified by PCGS (@ AG3!).

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is his registry set by die variety link.

A nice start with the four 1793 Half Cent varieties.

One in 64; two 65's and an MS-66.

Pretty cool just to flip through all the TrueView photos.
    https://pcgs.com/setregistry/half-cents/half-cents-specialty-sets/half-cents-die-variety-set-by-cohen-circulation-strikes-1793-1857/alltimeset/129078

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    CoinPhysicistCoinPhysicist Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭

@Tibor said:

Is it really? I just watched an AG03 1796 with Pole Half cent go for $26000 all in at HA, nearly double the PCGS price guide. Granted it's beautiful for the grade. But I got absolutely blown out of the water. It went for way more than I thought it would.

Successful transactions with: wondercoin, Tetromibi, PerryHall, PlatinumDuck, JohnMaben/Pegasus Coin & Jewelry, CoinFlip, and coinlieutenant.

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's funny is, that i can't even afford to look at my want list for this auction.............
    WOW coins

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would love to win on one of the 1809s.

The first coin I ever owned was an 1809 half cent my dad bought me for Christmas when I was 9 with an old Whitman type set album.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

The collection was on display at FUN.
    Truly amazing coins, including a number of errors that were eye popping.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alaura22 said:
    What's funny is, that i can't even afford to look at my want list for this auction.............
    WOW coins

If the prices are even close to the results in the recent DeWitt political items auction, very few people will be able to buy them. I am glad I left the half cent die variety game 30 years ago. I couldn't afford to expand the collection now with the varieties that were on my want list.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Three months later and still no lot descriptions.

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw a number of his coins when he brought them to Long Beach over the years. That's one of the reasons I came to the show; to see and sometimes touch incredibly rare, attractive coins which I'll never own.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

ttt

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

I got the catalog today. Superb job by Mark Borchardt and his team at Heritage:
    https://coins.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=3183+793+794+791+1577+792+2088+4294942349+4294942348

• Options

I bid on Lot 3047 1795 C5a PCGS MS61 BN but the live auction was coincidentally during my flight from Spokane to San Diego this morning. I put in what I considered a strong bid of $16500 last night but was outbid by one increment, presumably by a dealer.

• Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options
    halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

@rays said:

@Tibor said:

While I don’t think there are any million $ coins in this set, there should be several in the $250-$500k range.
    Not the most valuable coin, but his 1797 gripped edge is one of only three certified by PCGS (@ AG3!).

There only turned out to be one, the ex. Bareford 1793 Cohen-3 in MS66 Brown which went for $5,000.00 with the 20%.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 23, 2022 6:07AM

@halfcentman said:

@rays said:

@Tibor said:

There only turned out to be one, the ex. Bareford 1793 Cohen-3 in MS66 Brown which went for $5,000.00 with the 20%.

You left out the $1,000,000 that goes in front of the $5000.

Here are a few other highlights:

1796 No Pole, B-1a, C-1, Low R.6, MS63 Brown PCGS. CAC
    https://coins.ha.com/itm/half-cents/1796-no-pole-b-1a-c-1-low-r6-ms63-brown-pcgs-cac-our-eac-grade-ms62-pcgs-35095-/a/1348-3041.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

1795 Plain Edge, No Pole, B-5b, C-5b, Low R.4 -- Struck Over a 1795 S-76b Cent -- MS66 Red and Brown PCGS.https://coins.ha.com/itm/half-cents/1795-plain-edge-no-pole-b-5b-c-5b-low-r4-struck-over-a-1795-s-76b-cent-ms66-red-and-brown-pcgs-our-eac-grade-ms66/a/1348-3038.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

1795 Lettered Edge, With Pole, B-1, C-1, Low R.3, MS67 Brown PCGS. CAC
    https://coins.ha.com/itm/half-cents/1795-lettered-edge-with-pole-b-1-c-1-low-r3-ms67-brown-pcgs-cac-our-eac-grade-ms65-pcgs-35067-/a/1348-3032.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

1794 High Relief Head, B-9, C-9, R.2, MS66 Brown PCGS. CAC
    https://coins.ha.com/itm/half-cents/1794-high-relief-head-b-9-c-9-r2-ms66-brown-pcgs-cac-our-eac-grade-ms65-pcgs-35063-/a/1348-3031.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

I believe the 1795 was bought by a collector, who would have gone higher.
    Any coin that was red went for moon money. I thought prices were stronger than I expected. There must be more collectors than generally perceived. There were some coins that slipped through the cracks. Collectors tend to focus on certain coins in the auction. They are also limited in funds for a single auction. Some of the rarer varieties were more affordable. That leaves dealers that watch the whole auction to pick up some coins.

• Options

@Coinobsessed said:
    I believe the 1795 was bought by a collector, who would have gone higher.
    Any coin that was red went for moon money. I thought prices were stronger than I expected. There must be more collectors than generally perceived. There were some coins that slipped through the cracks. Collectors tend to focus on certain coins in the auction. They are also limited in funds for a single auction. Some of the rarer varieties were more affordable. That leaves dealers that watch the whole auction to pick up some coins.

Which 1795?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought the catalog done by Mark Borckardt was wonderful. The sale had some really outstanding coins that represented a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Everyone knew this. Therefore, prices were strong, but as Coinobsessed mentioned, a couple coins fell through the cracks. Who would have thought a collection of only half cents could bring $9.3 million?

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    edited August 23, 2022 6:59AM

. duplicate post deleted

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

This shows again that HA is the top auction company when you have world class collections, I'm sure his family and Heritage are very happy with the results. Hopefully the HA employees get year end bonuses.

• Options

The 955a. Sometimes you see you are the underbidder and think you almost got it. This is true sometimes and other times the winner was willing to go much higher. Trying to make the underbidder feel better.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

The “Missouri Cabinet” had the greatest half cent collection; Jim McGuigan was #2. It really is the end of an era. “Missouri Cabinet” was far more public with his holdings, and they are incredible to see. I will miss both of those gentlemen.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gschwernk said:
    I hope this renews interest in early copper. Early gold is on fire while early copper not so much.

Hush!
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

Thank you for correcting that significant oversight on the 1793 C-3

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had my eye on this one, but I unrealistically thought it might be within reach. I was quickly disabused of that notion!

https://coins.ha.com/itm/half-cents/1797-low-head-lettered-edge-b-3a-c-3b-struck-over-a-1797-cent-vg10-pcgs-our-eac-grade-vg10/a/1348-3206.s

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jim’s deluxe Cohen in tomorrow’s Kolbe-Fanning auction. Hope it goes to a good home.

https://bid.numislit.com/lots/view/1-6O6VQS/jim-mcguigans-deluxe-leatherbound-cohen

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file