Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2022 Proof Gold Eagles

PedzolaPedzola Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mint schedule says these come out on Thursday (3/17), anyone interested? Here is the link to the 4-coin set for reference.

https://catalog.usmint.gov/american-eagle-2022-gold-proof-four-coin-set-22EF.html?cgid=2022-product-schedule

I would like a Type 2 gold eagle proof but wondering if I can get one cheaper than what looks like its going to be maybe $2850 from the mint...

Sat out last year, will probably sit out again. I do like the new reverse.

Comments

• Options
    Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

Set of 4 proof will be over $4500, maybe over $5000

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Given the mint's mark-up over melt, the answer is no, although I would like to get the gold coins with the new designs. The is 1.85 ounces of gold in the set which brings melt to $3,700 with gold at $2,000 an ounce. I bet if gold is $2,000 and ounce, the mint will price the set at over $5,000.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    jshaulisjshaulis Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭

The 2021 gold is sold out but has prices. Assuming 2022 pricing is the same:
    1/10 - $310
    1/4 - $702.50
    1/2 - $1350
    1 - $2670
    4 coin set - $4962.50

Successful transactions with forum members commoncents05, dmarks, Coinscratch, Bullsitter, DCW, TwoSides2aCoin, Namvet69 (facilitated for 3rd party), Tetromibi, ProfLizMay, MASSU2, MWallace, Bruce7789, Twobitcollector, 78saen, U1chicago

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold is just above $1950 right now but the primary influence is the past week’s average

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Herb_T said:
    Set of 4 proof will be over $4500, maybe over $5000

The price for the 4 coin proof set Should be $5,332.50 unless something major happens to pricing of Gold in the next two days...

• Options
    cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jshaulis said:
    1/10 - $310
    1/4 - $702.50
    1/2 - $1350
    1 - $2670
    4 coin set - $4962.50

$330.00 for the 1/10 oz.
    $752.50 for the 1/4 oz.
    $1,450.00 for the 1/2 oz.
    $2,850.00 for the 1 oz.
    $5,332.50 for the 4 coin set...

• Options
    jshaulisjshaulis Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭

@cagcrisp said:

@jshaulis said:
    1/10 - $310
    1/4 - $702.50
    1/2 - $1350
    1 - $2670
    4 coin set - $4962.50

$330.00 for the 1/10 oz.
    $752.50 for the 1/4 oz.
    $2,850.00 for the 1 oz.

Thanks for the correction. I wasn't sure were to look for this years pricing.

Successful transactions with forum members commoncents05, dmarks, Coinscratch, Bullsitter, DCW, TwoSides2aCoin, Namvet69 (facilitated for 3rd party), Tetromibi, ProfLizMay, MASSU2, MWallace, Bruce7789, Twobitcollector, 78saen, U1chicago

• Options
    stawickstawick Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭

I'm in ... gotta keep it rollin'. But yeah - OUCH$$$$.
    I may be back to 1/4 oz for me, 1/10 oz for Xmas gift.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

Triple Ouch!!!
    That is a massive premium with gold spot up to historic highs.
    I love the dedication and bold BULLion nature of the buyers.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    stawickstawick Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 14, 2022 2:32PM

@jshaulis said:

@cagcrisp said:

@jshaulis said:
    1/10 - $310
    1/4 - $702.50
    1/2 - $1350
    1 - $2670
    4 coin set - $4962.50

$330.00 for the 1/10 oz.
    $752.50 for the 1/4 oz.
    $2,850.00 for the 1 oz.

Thanks for the correction. I wasn't sure were to look for this years pricing.

Given the price of gold, if you dig deep enough on the USMint site, they have a price guide / table for gold / platinum / palladium (I think) products based on that.
    (That took a little more digging than it usually takes??)

• Options
    PeyroguyPeyroguy Posts: 96 ✭✭✭

Yup, I'm in for 1/2 and 1/4, if the 4 coin is still there I will get it to flip, maybe. I usually don't sell them cause i love gold so much. Can't stop now, I'm good with holding my gold for 20 more years

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

hopefully the Ukrainian crisis will soon resolve and the price of gold and the new gold proofs will subside, if they don't sell out first.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

It will have to subside fast and hard

They calculate the gold range to use first off the average from the week before starting on Wednesday or Thursday

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    HoneyMarketHoneyMarket Posts: 804 ✭✭✭✭

I see PFS Buyers Club is looking to buy these this year - Everyone just waiting on an official US Mint price now.

BST references available on request

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will refrain from purchasing mint gold at the current price levels. Just do not need any... I am selling a couple of pieces though... Cheers, RickO

• Options

@HoneyMarket said:
    I see PFS Buyers Club is looking to buy these this year - Everyone just waiting on an official US Mint price now.

PFS has sent out their offer e-mail this afternoon

PFS Buyers Club is predicting a US Mint Sales price of either $5,332.50 or $5,240.
    Of course, like everyone else, they are waiting for the official price point release tomorrow.

PFS is only offering a commission of only $162.55.

I've done deals with PFS a long time ago and they are legit and make for a great buying experience but they are usually on the low, low, low end for profit flipping.

It will be interesting to see what others here might be offering in the BST forums...

• Options
    edited March 15, 2022 3:52PM

BTW, does this thread need to be re-titled to be the:

_ ***The Official American Eagle 2022 Gold Proof Coin(s) Thread***_

@Pedzola

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1053594/the-official-american-eagle-2021-gold-proof-coin-s-thread-mint-hi-res-images-posted/p1

Last Years thread was 15 pages long!

• Options

More buyers are out there popping up.

A Points and Miles blogger (Vinh from Miles Per Day) is offering a profit of:

• $350 for the 4-coin set
    • $175 for the 1/2 oz coin
    • $75 for the 1/4 oz coin
    • $25 for the 1/10 oz coin

He's providing insured shipping labels too...

This opportunity will def. help with paying for other coins.

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will continue to sit on the side line and buy other nicer stuff for the price.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

Ahh the US Mint. The worst coin dealer ever.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

The gold W uncirculated collector version will prove to be the smarter buy.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 16, 2022 6:06AM

@greatcollection said:
    Ahh the US Mint. The worst coin dealer ever.

The mint has cut back on the quality of the boxes they use to house their products, and the premium between the melt value of the items and the price has gotten far greater. Since I prefer my mint products in the original boxes, not slabs, that matters to me. Remember when the mint presented their coins like this?

Young collectors' sets, which used sell for young collector friendly prices, are now about $40. There are NO silver coins in these sets. Why the increase if the mint's goal is to get new blood into the hobby?

In the mean time, the mint has been caught a number times making "out the back door sales" to big dealers of items that will turn an immediate profit for those individuals.

In addition to that the track record for U.S. commemorative coins for holding their numismatic value has been abysmal. The only thing that has kept the gold coins above water has been their melt value.

The conduct of the recent Mint Directors has been reprehensible. They actually had the nerve to offer coins at a premium that had been struck by the previous Mint Director (The guy pushed the button on the coin press.). My thought was, don't let the door hit you on the fanny on your way out.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@cagcrisp said:

$330.00 for the 1/10 oz.
    $752.50 for the 1/4 oz.
    $2,850.00 for the 1 oz.

Prices are up and as expected

• Options
    edited March 16, 2022 1:43PM

@BillJones said:
    Given the mint's mark-up over melt, the answer is no, although I would like to get the gold coins with the new designs. The is 1.85 ounces of gold in the set which brings melt to $3,700 with gold at $2,000 an ounce. I bet if gold is $2,000 and ounce, the mint will price the set at over $5,000.

Great analysis and prediction. The melt vs. the mark-up is incredible!
    What! Do they think they can just print money? (Oh yeah, they can!)

And to top it off, after spending $5,300...they put the coins in a cheap cardboard box!

• Options

Here's me...Just Wondering if @Pedzola is going to rename this thread to:

_ ***The Official American Eagle 2022 Gold Proof Coin(s) Thread***_

I predict tomorrows sale at the Mint is going to be a taste of last year and all of those 12:00 pm EDT sellouts, refreshing the screen, etc... No one's going to know where to come to discuss their purchase, their confirmation numbers, etc! ;)

-

o:)

• Options
    PedzolaPedzola Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nah. Nothing official here. People can find the thread if they need it.

I'm out on this one.

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

March 11, 2021

July 29, 2021

No thank you.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

"You Go Boooiiiiys" to the buyers. Unbelievable, and this comes from a sometime Eagles fan.....

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see the dealers like Pinehurst and others are offering $350 per set. You pay for shipping. Wow, how is that worth it? Tying your money up on your credit card for unknown period of time, hoping they get safely to the dealer and then hoping you get paid quickly. That is a lot of worry for $350. Oh, you get points or miles. Whew.
    Good luck to those today seeking a set or singles for your collection.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    RockdogzRockdogz Posts: 145 ✭✭✭
    edited March 17, 2022 9:07AM

Well that was fast.
    4 coin set: backorder.
    half ounce: unavailable

• Options

4 coin set now unavailable

• Options
    DscoinDscoin Posts: 319 ✭✭✭✭

@Rockdogz said:
    Well that was fast.
    4 coin set: backorder.
    half ounce: unavailable

Yep that was a joke, hit confirm order how many times and it said page not found every time

Successful transactions with: Lakesammman, jimineez1, Flackthat, PerryHall, bidask, bccox, TwistedArrow1962, free_spirit, alexerca, scooter25, FHC, tnspro, mcarney1173, moursund, and SurfinxHI (6 times)

• Options

Yeah...Right....No One was interested! :D

That website was getting HAMMERED today...

• Options
    levinlllevinll Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭

Sold out in under 7 minutes ? A new record ?

• Options

1/4 oz: backorder

• Options

Anyone remember that Chrome Right-Click trick to see how many they had in stock vs. how many left?

• Options
    edited March 17, 2022 9:13AM

@HoneyMarket said:
    Anyone remember that Chrome Right-Click trick to see how many they had in stock vs. how many left?

Choose 'view page source' and then search for stocklevel

• Options
    edited March 17, 2022 9:16AM

@Rockdogz said:

@HoneyMarket said:

Is stocklevel better than ‘availablecount?’

• Options
    edited March 17, 2022 9:17AM

@Rockdogz said:

@HoneyMarket said:

Thanks...Just tried it...
    Weird, it says Stocklevel:4354
    Yet, we know it's sold out....

• Options

@Goldbully said:

@Rockdogz said:

@HoneyMarket said:

Is stocklevel better than ‘availablecount?’

Availablecount - that's the one I remember now from last year...

Anyways, both say 4354

• Options
    TomthemailcarrierTomthemailcarrier Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭✭

Managed to buy the 1oz and1/10 ounce since others sold out. Went quickly.

• Options

They give the same answer as far as I can tell.

• Options

Pinehurst's pricing webpage is down...(503 error)

I wonder if they're upping their offer price due to the quick sellout...or just getting hammered by flippers looking for the best sale price.

• Options

@HoneyMarket said:
    Pinehurst's pricing webpage is down...(503 error)

I wonder if they're upping their offer price due to the quick sellout...or just getting hammered by flippers looking for the best sale price.

Their website is def. getting hammered...it's up, it's down, 503 Service error, etc..
    Yet, they still have not upped their offer price for the 4-piece set...

• Options

only 1/10 oz currently available...

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can get a 1/10 Oz bullion AGE for under $230 with an online bullion seller (JMBullion i.e.)I'll wait before i pay $330 for a Proof 1/10 oz AGE.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked up only the 1/10 oz. for my own collection since I prefer the new design on smaller sized coins.
    It will join the two coin one tenth ounce designer set from 2021 along with a few of the older slabbed ones from past years.
    Really surprised as to how the quarter, half and one ouncers quickly sold out.

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lucky enough to get the half oz, had a couple of page not founds, but finally went thru, sold out right after that, went back to get the 1/4 , it was gone.

• Options

This can only boost the value of my type 2, 2021 proof AGE 4 coin set graded by our hosts as PR70DCAM….First Strike.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file