Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My 1856-D gold dollar newp. Found in the wild! *Update* now with CAC*

liefgoldliefgold Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 12, 2022 5:47PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I just received word that my 1856-D PCGS XF40 received a CAC sticker. One of only five in all grades. A total of 101 PCGS/NGC grading events.
Very happy! It adds a little more to a great story.

I have been looking for this date in a more affordable grade for a very long time.
I bought this one from a non-collector who was liquidating his uncle's hoard. The family discovered a huge accumulation of coins in the uncle's apartment. He was a hoarder and they literally had to climb over mountains of stuff just to get in the place. He had some better date silver coins but most of the gold was generic common date stuff, except for this.
Doug Winter estimates that there are about 100 of these in all grades. Now there is 101! Original mintage was 1,460.

liefgold

Comments

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the find.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great story and coin, congrats!!

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet! congrats!!!

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find, congrats!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Incredible find. Seeing as how the hoarder collected generic gold, I wonder if he knew what he had?
    Or maybe the coin was just so small, he never paid attention to that tiny D.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

Simply fantastic find! Congratulations.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

@DCW said:
    Incredible find. Seeing as how the hoarder collected generic gold, I wonder if he knew what he had?
    Or maybe the coin was just so small, he never paid attention to that tiny D.

I doubt the hoarder knew but the heir did.

liefgold
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful Patina and just the perfect condition. I had a ‘56 D (supposedly) ex jewelry with a speck of solder on the top. ....often miss that one.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coin & that it was not "details"! My 1856 S was given the business with even less action....

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find!

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great find!

• Options
    OmegaraptorOmegaraptor Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Incredible find!

"You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice stuff for sure

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow what and awesome find!

• Options

Beautiful Patina and just the perfect condition. I had a ‘56 D (supposedly) ex jewelry with a speck of solder on the top. ....often miss that one.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice... Finding treasure is exciting.... Finding gold treasure is VERY exciting. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Splendid find!

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats! I’m envious!

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 8, 2022 9:02AM

Wow! It's kind like finding a dream coin and not having to deal with a big auction house to get it. Usually an EF-40 grade gold dollar is not that attractive.

The 1856-D along with the 1861-D and the 1875 gold dollars are the main reasons why I gave up on completing a set of the Type III gold dollars.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, incredible find!

• Options
    CentSearcherCentSearcher Posts: 226 ✭✭✭

What a find! Cool story to it too

• Options

@BillJones said:
    Wow! It's kind like finding a dream coin and not having to deal with a big auction house to get it. Usually an EF-40 grade gold dollar is not that attractive.

The 1856-D along with the 1861-D and the 1875 gold dollars are the main reasons why I gave up on completing a set of the Type III gold dollars.

Thanks Bill. I will probably never be able to afford a 61-D, but I have the rest of the type III's. It is the only EF in the bunch, but I think it looks pretty good. Maybe a visit to CAC?

liefgold
  • Options

Since the seller and I did not really know each other, we decided to each drive 3 hours and meet at a police station to do the deal.
    The real fun part was, as his wife was counting the stack of $100 bills he reaches into the back seat of the car and pulls out a zip loc bag filled with gold coins!!!! Had to be $60k worth. He wanted my opinion on which ones are worth submitting for grading. No super rare dates but some potentially higher grades.
    As I was looking at very nice St. Gaudens double eagle in a filthy plastic holder, he says "there is quite a story behind that one". As I mentioned, his uncle was a bit of a hoarder and after his death they were going through literal mounds of stuff at his apartment. Before they were able to finish, the building burned down! They found this $20 gold under water in the basement among the debris. The saddest part of the story was the fire destroyed a 1900's era baseball card collection valued at $150k.

liefgold
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2022 12:06PM

You’ll get the ‘61 D. Take this time, now, to “pre-enjoy” the moment one drops into your hands.

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking gold 👍👍

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations!
    I really like this coin and the story. 👍

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file