Home U.S. Coin Forum

Do you care about a coin Pedigree or auction history?

retirednowretirednow Posts: 455 ✭✭✭✭✭

After reading the discussion ...Eliasberg coins, do you have any in your collection?
[https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/13186269]
It struck me if collector cares about knowing the prior ownership history of their coins ( either via Pedigree's or auction history).

What are your thoughts on the subject?
And if you are interested in knowing ... how many years back can you trace one of your pieces in your collection?

Tagged:

Comments

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2022 3:56PM

I care about the provenance of coins, in the context of making rosters of the top condition coins of a variety.
    It helps identify individual coins, so that the count of unique examples is more accurate.

Extreme examples of this are the 1804 dollar, 1913 Liberty nickel, 1894-S dime, and 1802 half dime.

It can also be helpful when comparing collections to those in the past.
    Examples are the Eliasberg, Pittman and Kaufman collections.

It does not matter to me for relatively common coins.

I don't have any coins with famous provenances in my own collection, but I have marked the holders of a few coins from my grandfather's and greatgrandfather's collection with their initials.

• ChopmarkedTradesChopmarkedTrades Posts: 495 ✭✭✭✭✭

Totally. When counterfeits are getting better by the day, provenance is going to be more and more significant. That, and some cool added history.

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I do care about auction history. If a coin has done this:

Auction #1 Jan 2021 - $4,300
    Auction #2 Jul 2021 - $5,300
    Auction #3 Feb 2022 - $3,100

The information is useful. It means the coin hasn't found a permanent home and I'll be unlikely to spend a record amount to buy it. It also means the market isn't really settled on its value. The prior history will (probably negatively) influence its potential sale price, should I want to sell it in the future. OTOH, if the coin is in three different holders with three different cert numbers it implies the coin has been tried unsuccessfully for upgrade. If it now lives in an MS65 holder and it previously lived in an MS64+ green CAC holder, that's useful information and I'll usually let someone else pay for that "upgrade."

As for Provenance, as I think I said in the other thread, there are only a couple that would be important to me. Many Eliasberg coins are quite spectacular, but many others are nothing special. A Jack Lee dollar will almost always be impressive.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not care at all about pedigree, auction history can be useful at times.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

NO

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

The more I know about the collector, the more I care about the provenance. And, obviously, some are move valuable to me than others.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

YES

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • mavs2583mavs2583 Posts: 200 ✭✭✭✭

If the coin sold for a lot more than i can get it for, I’m happy to see I got a good deal.

• vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't care but if the coin definitely interests me, would make an attempt to pretend to care. Won't happen coz I don't have deep pockets.
    Can only dream about the Farouk 1884 Trade dollar which is up for grabs at GC this week and am keenly watching the price on that one for mere curiosity sake. o:)

• MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

I care about Pedigrees but not auction history.

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think this kind of question only really matters for the special coins. I don’t think anyone would be interested in the random history (including auction) of a random coin except where it helps establish pricing levels.

• FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 1, 2022 9:11AM

Provenance - yes definitely, it’s part of the fun researching my coins!

• Dr_BonesDr_Bones Posts: 67 ✭✭✭

My limited area of collection has very few examples to collect. Tracing back pedigree and auction histories, has helped in the research of my coins as well. With this information, I have been able to determine the true rarity of some specimens, some not as common as has been reported. Has made me a far more informed collector, buyer and bidder

Visit USPatterns.com

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

I care about it. It just makes collecting a bit more fun for me.

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes and no. I won’t pay much of a premium if any just because someone prominent once owned it (and I couldn’t care less if a random name is on the holder), but all else equal, I can appreciate it. I think it’s neat having something out of Eliasberg’s collection, but I didn’t pay a real premium, it was something I wanted, and it’s otherwise a simple coin, not a major rarity. Similarly, I have a colonial note from the Ford collection. I didn’t buy it because he owned it (I very specifically sought out the note for what it is), but I appreciate that the note was worthy of his collection, and likely much more so than my Eliasberg coin which is much more basic and surely less important in the collection.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • NickelMikeNickelMike Posts: 189 ✭✭✭

Pedigree is addition history which I appreciate. Of course it needs to be a known name.

• JimWJimW Posts: 540 ✭✭✭✭

Generally, I wouldn't pay a premium, but if there is some documented history I think that is cool!

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown

• Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess I'm in the minority here. There was a recent sell off of a Top Five All Time Registry set. I managed to pick up several for my own top five set. I think it gives my set a little more credibility knowing some of my coins came from another high end set. It may not mean much to others, but it does to me.

• raysrays Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

A major coin’s provenance can be an important factor in determining desirability and, thus, value. In the EAC world, most of the CC coins of each Sheldon variety have been known for many years, sometimes as far back as the early to mid 19th century. I know I would pay more for a coin with a pedigree dating to 1850.

• vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tom147 said:
    I guess I'm in the minority here. There was a recent sell off of a Top Five All Time Registry set. I managed to pick up several for my own top five set. I think it gives my set a little more credibility knowing some of my coins came from another high end set. It may not mean much to others, but it does to me.

I agree with your viewpoint, just that the higher prices typically hinder the purchases for me and hence don't give it much of a thought.

• Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

I care about pedigree but not to the point where I’ll overpay for it. If it’s a fair price and a pretty coin, provenance is the cherry on top.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭✭

Pedigree can be interesting, but I don’t think it’s worth more money just because of who once owned it. Not much in the way of pedigree for proof Jefferson nickels anyway. None that would make any difference to me.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

No

@BaronVonBaugh said:
    Pedigree can be interesting, but I don’t think it’s worth more money just because of who once owned it. Not much in the way of pedigree for proof Jefferson nickels anyway. None that would make any difference to me.

This one is MS, not proof, but I love the Pogue pedigree. Kind of wish I bought it!

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

I won't pay extra for a coin's provenance but it's nice if it's someone who is famous. If it's someone who is not famous, it's irritating to see someone else's name on the label of my coin. :#

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice to know the history of the coin.

So, yes, I care

Frank

BHNC #203

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely. Coins are about history and the history of a coin is an added dimension

Imagine if there was a site like Ancestry for coin pedigree?

Right now, there are some sites that contain pedigree but none that are collectively researched.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Generally speaking, no, I do not care about pedigree, provenance or auction history. Now, if a coin could definitively be traced to George Washington or Abraham Lincoln, then it would be special to me. As far as other famous collectors, it makes no difference. If I were a seller/dealer - then I would think differently, as noted above, others care and obviously premiums would be involved. Cheers, RickO

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

YES

• oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

Provenance adds value in the form of trust, as with most collectibles. Depends on the market price as to what that might be worth in dollars. Auction history is information, which can be valuable for scarce items with scattered historical market values or that lack reliable price guides. All information has at least potential value if one knows how to use it.

• Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

@vulcanize said:

I agree with your viewpoint, just that the higher prices typically hinder the purchases for me and hence don't give it much of a thought.

One of the coins that I purchased from the break up of the high end set was the last one needed to complete my set with all in the grade of ms67 or higher ( yes their moderns ) None have come on the market in three years. Pop of 9/2. Pedigree or not I was not passing it up. Yes I had to pay moon money but I did not want to chance waiting another 3 years or more for one to come up for sale. The most expensive coin in my entire collection ( over 3K ) but my set is complete and attained my goal. Pedigree just happens to be a bonus in my mind.

• earlyAurumearlyAurum Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭

Auction history is critical information that helps understand the market and the value of a particular coin. If ia coin so happens to have been in an important collection, it connects additional history. May or might night be a nice coin though. I’ll take may chances with Bass, Eliasberg or Garrett coin though…

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file