Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1936 T1 sold for $88,000, $99,000 with BP

BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 27, 2022 9:28AM in U.S. Coin Forum

1936 Buffalo Nickel Type 1--Satin PCGS Proof-69 (Toned)
Sold for $99,000 with BP! I was sure if would go for 5 figures. Just didn’t think it would try to hit 6 figures. At least 2 people wanted it pretty badly! They left me in the dust quickly! Beautiful coin and top pop. Did someone here win it?

https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/1047859/1936-Buffalo-Nickel-Type-1-Satin-PCGS-Proof-69-Toned

Comments

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am sure it is beautiful in hand but neither the slab shot nor the TV are scintillating (which you would expect from a 69). These coins are very difficult to image.
    I would guess we will know the new owner soon if you check the registry.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    Joey29Joey29 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭

@breakdown said:
    I am sure it is beautiful in hand but neither the slab shot nor the TV are scintillating (which you would expect from a 69). These coins are very difficult to image.

Great collections photos not good.

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gorgeous coin....out of my price range also!

K

ANA LM
  • Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Joey29 said:

@breakdown said:

Great collections photos not good.

For as big of an operation as they are now, you'd think they would bring in some quality photographers.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    I am in love with this coin, but it is well out of my league.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

What a Great looking Buff, would be a Great addition to any collection, congratulations to the Top Bidder!

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absurd price.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@BillJones said:
    It is a very pretty coin, but for $86,000 more than than the price I paid for my PR-67, I'm happy to be where I am.

Well, I have a nice PR67 for this date as well - I have a Buffalo Proof registry set of all PR-67's that I haven't changed since 2010. But there are over 600 1937's graded in PR67 and only 2 that have ever been graded PR69. Mr Forsythe has one and now there is this one. They both look considerably flashier than my white 67. I think the bigger concern for the buyer is how many of those 68's and 68+'s and coins in high NGC holders have a shot to expand the population of PR69's.

• Options
    ccmorganccmorgan Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

Too bad they don't have a "love" icon to click on, so I clicked like.

Love the 1885-CC Morgan
  • Options

Here's the Trueview of the PR69 that just sold:

Here's Mr. Forsythe's PR69 coin:

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@breakdown said:
    Here's the Trueview of the PR69 that just sold:

Here's Mr. Forsythe's PR69 coin:

I’m not a fan of the second coin at all. It looks like the bison has a gaping flesh wound from being shot. I find it distracting.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@breakdown said:

@BillJones said:
    It is a very pretty coin, but for $86,000 more than than the price I paid for my PR-67, I'm happy to be where I am.

Well, I have a nice PR67 for this date as well - I have a Buffalo Proof registry set of all PR-67's that I haven't changed since 2010. But there are over 600 1937's graded in PR67 and only 2 that have ever been graded PR69. Mr Forsythe has one and now there is this one. They both look considerably flashier than my white 67. I think the bigger concern for the buyer is how many of those 68's and 68+'s and coins in high NGC holders have a shot to expand the population of PR69's.

But “this one” is a 1936 (Type 1/Satin), not a 1937.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

JA didn’t think it was a 69.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    Absurd price.

In comparison to the price of a 67 or 68? Yes, it seems so at first, but how would we know if it’s not the 67’s and 68’s that are absurdly cheap? Seriously, how would we know?

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

@skier07 said:

Do you know for a fact that CAC assessed the coin? If, by chance, you know that, do you know that they didn’t think it was a “C” (though not a “B” or “A”) quality example? If not, please don’t state assumptions as facts.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@skier07 said:

Do you know for a fact that CAC assessed the coin? If, by chance, you know that, do you know that they didn’t think it was a “C” (though not a “B” or “A”) quality example? If not, please don’t state assumptions as facts.

I don’t know for a fact that it was assessed by CAC but I think there’s a high likelihood that it was based on the coins value.

• Options
    edited February 27, 2022 9:48AM

@skier07 said:

@MFeld said:

@skier07 said:

I don’t know for a fact that it was assessed by CAC but I think there’s a high likelihood that it was based on the coins value.

I think so, too. But your above comment is a far cry from “JA didn’t think it was a 69.”

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please, give me a break. I know it is planchet prep but the lack of "strike out" on the mid hair braids is very distracting and this can not be taken away. IMO ridiculous and the fact that big money was paid for it does not excuse it.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

@MFeld said:

@skier07 said:

@MFeld said:

@skier07 said:

I think so, too. But your above comment is a far cry from “JA didn’t think it was a 69.”

Your point is very well taken.

• Options

@skier07 said:

@MFeld said:

@skier07 said:

@MFeld said:

@skier07 said:

Your point is very well taken.

I appreciate your open mindedness.👍

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@skier07 said:

@MFeld said:

@skier07 said:

I feel better. I thought you were implying the opposite. If it had a sticker I’m thinking it would have far exceeded the $99,000 closing price. Look at what happened to the Uber common date Mercury Dimes in 68 FB that Hansen paid more than $500k for the pair.

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

@7Jaguars said:
    Please, give me a break. I know it is planchet prep but the lack of "strike out" on the mid hair braids is very distracting and this can not be taken away. IMO ridiculous and the fact that big money was paid for it does not excuse it.

I may be taking your comment the wrong way, but that coin is absolutely hammered, even for a proof of this era.

I do agree with those saying that this is a kinda crazy price. It's a registry coin and nothing else, I doubt that many here would even be able to tell the difference between a high quality 67-68 and this coin. Obviously, those who worked for TPGs would, but the reality is that the differences in this series between the ultra gem grades are so minor it takes time to discern them and they certainly can't be distinguished by a glance at the coin.

Also, if the 1937 is truly a 69, I don't know if it really deserved the grade if the spot in the chest is really a carbon spot. If it's toning, I would still like the coin at a 68, it's really distracting.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options

@Cameonut said:
    I greatly prefer my $2500 example vs the $86,000 example.

Apples (Type 2) to oranges (Type 1).😉

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1Bufffan said:
    What a Great looking Buff, would be a Great addition to any collection, congratulations to the Top Bidder!

Look at the sharp detail on the top feather!

WOW.

Just WOW!

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coin - I can see why it took off.

• Options
    ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a beauty I agree on that but there is a lot of other things I would wanna get for 99k just saying....

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

My bad, but I still like my "apple"... :)

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options

@Cameonut said:

@MFeld said:

My bad, but I still like my "apple"... :)

I do too - it looks gorgeous.

• Options
    BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭

@Cameonut said:
    I greatly prefer my $2500 example vs the $86,000 example.

Beautiful coin!

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FlyingAl - actually I know proofs very well and don't disagree with the "hammered" part even if I do not like the term. However the planchet still shows the changes I had discussed and therefore should deter from the grade.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

@7Jaguars Ok so then we are still on common ground. Please excuse my slang for extremely well struck lol.

I am with you that mint made defects (I assume you mean a planchet mark that was not fully struck out, I couldn’t really tell what you were talking about when you said strike out) should detract from a coin’s grade, but the TPGs generally don’t agree.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gorgeous nickels.... Amazing price.... I will not be buying one.... (surprise, surprise).... But they sure are pretty to look at... even just pictures. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file