Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Gold up over 3% on war news. Will it continue to climb over $2k? Common dates should get a boost.

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 24, 2022 4:43AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Should give a nice kick to your common date gold coin values.

Comments

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

yes is my guess

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stackers will be smiling for a while..... maybe a long while.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭✭✭

2022 Gold Eagles due March 17th...... :#

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

It will be going higher no doubt for some time during these sad times. Personally, I'm about to suspend buying any expensive coin for the foreseeable future.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 24, 2022 5:37AM

$25.68 & $1965. Yippee 🥳

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MarkKelley said:
    Remember folks, your gold isn't really worth more, your dollar is just worth less.

While that’s true given the inflationary environment, it isn’t true today in particular. Gold is up against the EUR too.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tis was but a FLEETING MOMENT. I have my doubts, that we see $2k gold any time soon. $25 silver seems to be a "short lived wish." It's been there before, numerous times, in the last 10 years.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA said:
    Tis was but a FLEETING MOMENT. I have my doubts, that we see $2k gold any time soon. $25 silver seems to be a "short lived wish." It's been there before, numerous times, in the last 10 years.

Indeed. Gold now down $75 from its overnight peak. Down to $1897 as I type

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    silverman68silverman68 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Both getting smashed!! Dang!

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just like usual - Gold goes up a bit and the hope for $2000/ounce is all the rage. Then it goes back down and all you hear is crickets again.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

prices will be very volatile for a while, enjoy the ride

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@Justacommeman said:

@OPA said:

mark

The Russian stock market is down over 33% today. The ruble at an all time low. The US stock market is in rally mode today. Interesting times

m

Global isolation will do that.

I, for one, an secretly cheering for $1750 gold and $18 silver.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 24, 2022 3:11PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@Justacommeman said:

@Justacommeman said:

@OPA said:

mark

The Russian stock market is down over 33% today. The ruble at an all time low. The US stock market is in rally mode today. Interesting times

m

Global isolation will do that.

I, for one, an secretly cheering for $1750 gold and $18 silver.

I own my fair share of both. Gold both paper and physical I treat as asset insurance. Silver as purely speculative.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 24, 2022 3:15PM

@Steven59 said:
    Just like usual - Gold goes up a bit and the hope for $2000/ounce is all the rage. Then it goes back down and all you hear is crickets again.

Could the central banks be dumping gold on the market to push down the price? It's been done before.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    Bad way to keep a secret

It's an open secret. Lol

• Options
    Schmitz7Schmitz7 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Metals right back down today and even below what they started at a few days back. Only comment: try to buy physical silver at the spot price. The reality is silver is being valued in physical form at 30-35% above the published spot price.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

It keeps dropping. The last I looked, less than an hour ago, it was below $1,900. Maybe the Russian take-over has been worked into the market?

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Schmitz7 said: try to buy physical silver at the spot price. The reality is silver is being valued in physical form at 30-35% above the published spot price.

This has been discussed at length on the precious metals forum. If you want to buy silver in small units there is a large premium over spot. If you want to make major investments, you can get as much as you want (in 1000 ounce units) for very close to spot.

Higashiyama
  • Options

@Higashiyama said:
    @Schmitz7 said: try to buy physical silver at the spot price. The reality is silver is being valued in physical form at 30-35% above the published spot price.

This has been discussed at length on the precious metals forum. If you want to buy silver in small units there is a large premium over spot. If you want to make major investments, you can get as much as you want (in 1000 ounce units) for very close to spot.

This. There is NO premium to spot on silver. There is a premium to spot based on the form of silver.

You can buy silver right at spot if you buy a 5000 ounce COMEX contract and opt to receive delivery. If you want it minted into small bars or silver eagles, you're going to have to pay for the cost of forming it.

• Options

@BillJones said:
    It keeps dropping. The last I looked, less than an hour ago, it was below $1,900. Maybe the Russian take-over has been worked into the market?

A number of financial analysts believe this to be true. There is also some thought that the market thought that the sanction response was going to be more severe. in the end, they didn't sanction energy or food which mitigates the pain of those sanctions.

There is also some thought that it may change the calculation of the FED at the March meeting.

So, expect the next move to be in either direction. LOL. The market is largely guessing at the future, as it usually does, but the visibility is murkier than it usually is.

• Options
    edited March 1, 2022 10:07AM

Here we go again....up almost 2%

Silver up over 3½%

Can you say Putin?

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold is reasserting itself as the safest of safe havens.

Interesting to see after the economic data next week what happens to generic premiums.

• Options
    KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

You guys suck.

Children and old folks are being killed. Stupid young men are being sent to die by a midget oligarch.

But you cheer because your silver is up 3 1/2 percent.

Seriously, you guys need to look at yourselves and decide if your worthless lives deserve to continue to consume oxygen.

It is a finite resource that shouldn't be wasted on war profiteers.

• Options

@KindaNewish said:
    You guys suck.

Children and old folks are being killed. Stupid young men are being sent to die by a midget oligarch.

But you cheer because your silver is up 3 1/2 percent.

Seriously, you guys need to look at yourselves and decide if your worthless lives deserve to continue to consume oxygen.

It is a finite resource that shouldn't be wasted on war profiteers.

That's a little harsh but I do find it unseemly to be cheering a war premium.

They will feel less smart when it disappears.

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@ricko said:
    The murderous aggression we are witnessing is certainly distressing. That being said, it is not the only reason, nor the primary reason, for the increase in PM values. The dollar is crashing, therefore, intelligent people will have satisfaction viewing the increased value of their gold insurance. While their is physical war being waged beyond our borders, their is financial war being experienced here. We must tend to our immediate needs. Cheers, RickO

Good point. Most of the recent price rise of gold occurred before the invasion of Ukraine and was mostly caused by the rapidly rising inflation rate caused by the current administration's economic policies.

I think you give a little too much credit to the current admin. The easy money and deficit spending goes back more then just a year or two. Higher gold prices have been brewing for years. I can't wait to see how we handle 4-5% interest rates with the current deficit.

People complaining about high gas prices or drops in their retirement accounts are the real people oblivious to what is going on in the Ukraine.

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

The price of gas seems to be more steadily climbing than gold in the past ten days :s

• Options

@vulcanize said:
    The price of gas seems to be more steadily climbing than gold in the past ten days :s

Gold really isn't up that much as a percentage. $100 is just 5%. Gold is up $160 in 30 days which is less than 10%. Oil, on the other hand, is up 20%.

Gold bugs are like gamblers. They only remember the wins. In the last year, gold is up to 16% and the stock market (S&P 500) is up 18%.

• Options
    edited March 6, 2022 8:04AM

OK but gold is trending up and the S&P is trending down.

I have a generic auction ending Sunday to test to the market.

So we'll gauge current sentiment.

• Options

@fathom said:
    OK but gold is trending up and the S&P is trending down.

I have a generic auction ending Sinday to test to test the market.

So we'll gauge current sentiment.

That's why we're hearing from the gold bugs now. When gold pulls back, it's all very quiet here. Look at the "1850" thread. That started a year ago and it was very quiet when gold was in the 17s.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    That's why we're hearing from the gold bugs now. When gold pulls back, it's all very quiet here. Look at the "1850" thread. That started a year ago and it was very quiet when gold was in the 17s.

And that's how it will be here again when the stock market levels/gains and the price of gold will drop back.
    Say I make a few hundred selling a gold coin - how is that relevant to spending so much more for gas and food (everything) right now?? Gold will probably go back down but food and gas will keep rising - I'm thinking Even Steven reappears........
    And really, how many amature gold stackers are going to drop all their gold right now for a profit when there's so much uncertainty going on ??
    (not my absolute view - just a discussion point)

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

@Steven59 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

And that's how it will be here again when the stock market levels/gains and the price of gold will drop back.
    Say I make a few hundred selling a gold coin - how is that relevant to spending so much more for gas and food (everything) right now?? Gold will probably go back down but food and gas will keep rising - I'm thinking Even Steven reappears........
    And really, how many amature gold stackers are going to drop all their gold right now for a profit when there's so much uncertainty going on ??
    (not my absolute view - just a discussion point)

I think that's true.

• Options

At this point, $10 away from $2k.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Numismatic premiums often shrink when precious metal prices go up.

• Options
    mavs2583mavs2583 Posts: 200 ✭✭✭✭

With all that's going on, there aren't too many people out there who regret their precious metals purchases, regardless of when they bought. The swings are all part of the process.

• Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@vulcanize said:

Gold really isn't up that much as a percentage. $100 is just 5%. Gold is up $160 in 30 days which is less than 10%. Oil, on the other hand, is up 20%.

Gold bugs are like gamblers. They only remember the wins. In the last year, gold is up to 16% and the stock market (S&P 500) is up 18%.

How is gold doing compared to the Russian stock market?

• Options

At the time of this post, equity markets down, commodity/overseas volatility plus crypto scuffling/regulation uncertainty... gold is the safest of safe havens.

Some sleepless nights ahead for Wall Street :'(

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file