Home U.S. Coin Forum

My progress on a Washington "colonials" Basic Pieces Set

RedSealsRedSeals Posts: 278 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 24, 2022 11:55AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I posted a couple of these in the share your new purchases thread, but at the suggestion of @Zoins I figured I'd share my progress in my own thread. Don't see too much chatter about "colonials" (quotes as very few of the Washington pieces are truly colonials, if any) on the US coin forums.

I'd been looking at Washington medals last year, picked up a few but then I randomly picked up the first of this series at the Baltimore show last year, and sparked the interest to build this set. I was unaware of the "Washington basic pieces" registry set until I added the ship halfpenny to my inventory, and decided to look into this more. I've sent multiple emails back and forth to John at CRO asking his advice on which pieces to go after and what they should look like. I also picked up the Bowers colonials book to do a bit more research.

I welcome and encourage any other feedback, advice, or information on existing pieces I have or any future acquisitions.

Here is the PCGS registry link for the set composition = https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/washington-pieces-1783-1795/washington-pieces-1783-1795/washington-pieces-basic-set-1783-1795/composition/1096

I'm targeting getting 13/17 - I do not foresee being able to purchase the Ugly Head, Born VA (maybe?), 1792 President, or Roman Head)

Here it goes:

1) 1793 Ship Halfpenny PCGS AU50 - purchased from JJ Teaparty at the November 2021 Baltimore show

2) Doubled Head PCGS XF45 CAC - Purchased from private seller in December 2021

3) 1783 Unity States PCGS AU50 CAC - purchased from Kearney in December 2021

4) 1783 Small Military Bust PCGS XF45 purchased from Northern Nevada Coin in December 2021
This issue seems to come dark and harder to find in a nice chocolate brown, but i liked that this was the harder to find small variety with nice smooth surfaces and clean details for an XF

5) 1795 North Wales Halfpenny PCGS AU50 Feb 2022 I consulted with John at CRO on this one, he liked it and I asked him to bid on it for me at HA, we were outbid but it popped up for sale on HA bourse. A really good friend of mine saw it pop up and bought it for me as a thank you gift for helping him out with something (should say GREAT friend because it was an amazing gesture - he knew i liked it and he collects Washingtonia as well, but some higher end stuff)

Lot of cool info on this token, check out the coin facts, but as I understand it - basically struck crudely to be passed off into circulation easily

6) 1795 Grate PCGS MS64BN- Purchased right here Feb 2022 on the BST from @coinsarefun ! Love the strike and color on this one, really nice!

7) (c. 1793) Washington Success Medal small, silvered PCGS AU58 CAC purchased from Edelmans Feb 2022 - such a cool token/medal/game counter? with a murky history but most agree to celebrate Washington's second inauguration. Rare silvered and only 2 at CAC

Will update as this set grows, thanks for reading and letting me share!

Successful BST Transactions with: PerryHall, MrSlider, Cent1225, SurfinxHI, Blu62vette, robkool, gowithmygut, coinlieutenant, Downtown1974, MilesWaits, Shrub68, justindan

Comments

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting collection.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting coins.... and a nice set you have assembled (all from notable sources)....Cheers, RickO

• MarkMark Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did not know of the colonial "Washington basic pieces" set. It looks like a really neat set and your coins are just so cool. I am trying to pick out a favorite and I guess it's the North Wales. I do not know why but that coin just attracts me. Setting aside my personal attraction to the North Wales, I think your Washington Success medal is truly neat. And, it's CAC'ed which is good because CAC no longer looks at colonials.

CRO is also exceptionally good to deal with. I spend way too many hours drooling over their colonials.

I hope you keep posting your progress on you collection.

Mark

• RedSealsRedSeals Posts: 278 ✭✭✭✭✭

CRO is also exceptionally good to deal with. I spend way too many hours drooling over their colonials.

John and I have exchanged probably a dozen emails back and forth on the topic of Washington colonials, mostly me picking his brain and him quickly responding with loads of info - great resource, really helpful. Yes, I agree - his inventory of colonials is excellent as well. I certainly plan to source some of the final pieces from him if possible.

Successful BST Transactions with: PerryHall, MrSlider, Cent1225, SurfinxHI, Blu62vette, robkool, gowithmygut, coinlieutenant, Downtown1974, MilesWaits, Shrub68, justindan

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting grouping. Thanks for taking the time to share this with us, and some of their story.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm very partial to Colonials, great choice in direction.

edited March 25, 2022 5:50AM

Newest acquisition:

8) 1783 Georgivs Triumpho PCGS AU58 - NFC March 2022

Generally thought to be a stock portrait of George III although the inscription relates to George Washington and winning the revolution in 1783.

13 bars on the reverse match the number of original colonies. The image is of a rider in a hot air balloon adorned with fluer-de-lis probably referring to France's help in the war.

• numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

@RedSeals You are doing great! Beautiful.

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice collection, nice pics.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow...a colonial-related thread!

I think you are building a very nice and interesting collection.

I've owned a few "Colonial" Washington pieces over the years. My favorite piece of Washingtonia that I've owned is not included in the PCGS Washington Pieces Basic Registry Set...but I'll post it anyway.

It is, however, listed among the colonials on Coinfacts: https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1796-medal-washington-repub-ameri-bn/508309

1796 Washington Repub. Ameri. Medal

Ex Bowers and Ruddy's March 1981 sale of the Garrett Collection, Part IV, lot #1759.

It was graded Proof 64 (NGC) when I owned it.

If you're interested in more information about this piece, here's a good source: https://coins.nd.edu/colcoin/colcoinintros/WashREPUBameri.intro.html

Here's a link to information about several "colonial" Washington pieces on the same site:
    https://coins.nd.edu/colcoin/ColCoinContents/Contents10.html

I'm looking forward to seeing more as you continue to build your collection!

Thanks for the kind words @MidLifeCrisis and wish there more colonial threads here as well!

I really like that medal too, thanks for sharing.

I am puzzled at why the PCGS registry includes and excludes some issues myself.

My main question is why on earth the "ugly head" is included in the "basic pieces" set... Limits the amount of collectors that can participate in completion. Roman Heads can be questioned as well, at least theyre available but very expensive...

• NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really nice pieces! 👌

Two new additions to the set, both acquired via private treaty in the last few months:

9)1791 Washington Liverpool Halfpenny VF30

One of the tougher issues in the series and unfortunately this is not a choice example. Fortunately, it was given to me in very favorable trade with a friend who acquired it himself in a trade to help me out without my knowledge! I might look to upgrade this if the opportunity arises but they dont come up often.

The image is terrible but color is a little bit nicer in hand.

10) 1783 Draped Bust Proof Restrike PR65 CAC OGH

Bells and whistles old holder and sticker sold me on this one but the underlying coin is very nice as well, wanted the proof restrike for this slot and this fit the bill

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file