Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What's your favorite card?

We like to look at cards....

What is your FAVORITE card in your PC? It's not the easiest decision.
Is it the story behind the card, the eye appeal, or a long time pursuit to harpoon the white whale?

We like cards. So 2nd favorite, 3rd favorite...that's fine too.
Hands down, which is your FAVORITE?

Here's mine:
Purchased Cobb in 2011 on eBay. I don't remember if a BIN or auction.
I do remember, through brief communications, the seller was happy to let it go to collector, not a dealer or a card flipper. I was under the impression he and his son thoroughly enjoyed owning the card.
I see the Portrait Cobb as a legendary image, printed at the dawn of card collecting generation(s).
Kids went nuts constantly bothering men for their base ball cards from their cigarette packs.
Thanks for sharing
"
"
"

Comments

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

That cobb is sweet.
    I always wondered why they never had any of the players smoking a cigarette. Would have been interesting.
    Or maybe just the wagner card with a cig

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2022 3:31PM

@azvike said:
    This would probably be mine...I've never seen one centered better IMHO

I love that Jim Brown rookie! Should have been an 8.5.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@n49th said:
    Stunning cards all around!

Here’s mine. As a lifelong Dodger fan and a southpaw pitcher fan (yes, we exist), this one was a must have. Near perfect signatures of two legendary lefties, while the guy in the middle was a bigger phenomenon than the other two combined.

Love that card. My son is a lefty pitcher and so I love them. They are a special breed!

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DM23HOF Matty, that’s a mic drop post!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nathaniel1960 said:
    This one if it comes back authentic might be my new favorite.

Holy smokes can’t be too many of those in existence!

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

>

And I mean, c’mon…

Just checkin to see if it's still in your inventory 👍

Impressive, museum quality cards everyone!!

@DM23HOF 😲 jaw dropping Mick & the Babe!!

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2022 7:12PM

@emar said:

>

And I mean, c’mon…

Just checkin to see if it's still in your inventory 👍

Impressive, museum quality cards everyone!!

@DM23HOF 😲 jaw dropping Mick & the Babe!!

Agree with all the comments; this is a great thread.

I wanted to just remind people that your non sport cards are welcome, too. Here’s my personal favorite non sport card - self subbed (and, yes, still think it’s an 8 😉):

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@MantleFan23 I'm very very sorry for your loss. Words can't describe.
    Cards bring fathers and sons closer. I love to see the father son teams at card shows. That's what it's all about. Btw beautiful cards!

@1951WheatiesPremium absolutely ! Bring on all the cards, we love cards :)

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2022 7:34PM

@GilR said:
    I'm not sure I have any one favorite, but back when I was young and immature these would have been among my favorite cards. (I hope I can be forgiven for not having had them graded.)

You appear to like Dick very much. o:)

I recall the first time I saw the 1976, it was around 1986 and I picked it up just so me and the gang could have a laugh. I recall one comment "Dick", "Pole" whats the difference their the same thing. I've a nice graded 1976, but not yet scanned.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    GilRGilR Posts: 147 ✭✭✭

@82FootballWaxMemorys,
    I KNEW at least one person out there would appreciate that.

Can't believe that you have a graded one.

• Options

@82FootballWaxMemorys said:
    Way, way too difficult to narrow down, but I have to only raw purchases I made before 1995 and that I've self-submitted. 2 sports and 2 non-sports.

The Waddell was at a card booth (small shop in effect) in the back of my local comics shop in 1990. The owner's were cool, kept in under the counter on layaway for me for nearly a year. Shout out to Bob and Dennis hope you are both still with us!

Drake's/Topps Hulk Cover Card - Cover by Ernie Chan, none graded higher.
    Topps Teen Titan Comic Cover Sticker - Classic Nick Cardy Cover, none graded higher.

I was a big 1960's League Leader's card fan in the early 90's. The one below i got on the 30th Anniversary of it's issue, and ESPNa was re-running "Home Run Derby". A very strong 8 I thought would be a 9. It was prior to PSA using .5's perhaps it's an 8.5?. Regardless the memories of finding it a local show are priceless. One of the few times I found the exact card LL card I was seeking prior to walking into the show.

The white mark on Mickey face is stuff the glass of on my old scanner. It is not present on the card. Need to re-scan on one of my new units.

Waddell is another one of my favorite portrait cards from T206.
    Not too long ago, a nice mid grade could be picked up for couple hundred bucks.
    Recently collectors have started to recognize him as a key player from the set.
    Here's an entertaining video about his eccentric baseball life
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_K_2Sj9T7Gw&t=184s

• Options
    VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭

That Alcindor is absolute FIRE! Wow

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's your favorite card?

Well that's a tough one for me to answer; that would be like, "what kind of ice cream would you like and on which day”?
    Ok we’ll do baseball first…
    Let’s say on…
    Monday -- 1974 Dave Kingman
    Tuesday -- 1974 Carlton Fisk
    Wednesday -- 1973 Greg Nettles
    Thursday -- 1976 Mike Schmidt
    Friday -- 1973 Roberto Clemente
    Saturday -- 1976 Pete Rose
    Sunday -- 1976 Thurman Munson

And football…
    Monday -- 1970 Kellogg’s Johnny Unitas
    Tuesday -- 1972 Ed Podolak Pro Action
    Wednesday -- 1955 Bowman Bobby Layne
    Thursday -- 1973 Dick Butkus
    Friday -- 1981 Rod Martin Record Breaker
    Saturday -- 1982 Joe Klecko In Action
    Sunday -- 1977 Jack Lambert

Now next week those cards could change each day just as fast as flipping a light switch.

My All Time favorite that I have is my 1979 Topps Football Grocery Wax Tray

• Options
    VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2022 9:34PM

Did the Duren receive a bump? Asking because according to the PSA website, when the barcode is scanned, it shows the same card but in a PSA 9 holder.

@stevegarveyfan said:
    The Garvey is mine, but the Duren card very well may be the prettiest card design ever, in my book.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

I wanted to just remind people that your non sport cards are welcome, too. Here’s my personal favorite non sport card - self subbed (and, yes, still think it’s an 8 😉):

Oh come on; it says right on the back of the card that it's a 7!

• Options
    Jayman1982Jayman1982 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭

@Frozencaribou said:
    Great cards, guys. Uffdah- That Jim Brown is a beautiful card, and I like the connection many of us have to it by following your thread when you ripped that pack. The 8.5 grade was made for a card like that.

I am a lifelong collector, and was a small time weekend dealer as a teenager in the 90's, but it wasn't until after university in 2002 that I ever had more than $200 to spend on any one card. I bought this OPC Gretzky ungraded at a local show in Ottawa for $425 and it represents not only a wise purchase, but also brings me back to that time in my life just by looking at it.

It was in an SGC 92 holder for a long time but I came to prefer PSA so cracked and subbed it just before the recent boom.

Gretzky is one of my all-time favourites, even though I had a hard time staying up for the mountain time zone starts to watch him when he was at his absolute peak. Here's my player set for him: https://psacard.com/psasetregistry/hockey/player-sets/wayne-gretzky-basic-o-pee-chee-set/publishedset/56627

-Nathanael

Is your #2 the PSA 9 79 OPC Gretz? Haha

• Options
    DMasciDMasci Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

I no longer have my photobucket account so no pictures...sorry. I have two cards that I'll share with a brief story. I started collecting at the wrong time 1989, and was quickly hooked and doing the weekend shows. I was always into Football for my PC so my two cards are:

1. 1958 Jim Brown - this card was purchased for me by my wife for our 10th wedding anniversary for $500 which I thought was crazy expensive. I eventually sent it in to Beckett for grading and it came back BVG 6. I've thought about sending it to PSA to grade but am holding off due to my experience doing exactly that.....card #2.
    2. 1981 Joe Montana - when I was first getting into the cards in the late 89 and early 90s I bought a pack of 1981 Topps at a local card shop for $6 and pulled the Montana, man was I stoked! I eventually sent this in to Beckett and it came back graded BGS 8.5 with sub grades of 9 on both centering and corners, I think the surface got an 8 which meant 8.5. I broke this out of it's slab and included it in my first order to PSA.....it came back PSA 7 :-1: Good news is I only have about $30 invested in this card, mostly from grading.

I will always have these two cards in my PC

• Options
    ccmorganccmorgan Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

Not really into cards more like morgan silver dollars but I just had this one graded after I read a story about the potential value of it last fall.
    I bought it back in '99.

Love the 1885-CC Morgan
  • Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jayman1982 said:

-Nathanael

Is your #2 the PSA 9 79 OPC Gretz? Haha

Yes, the 9 is in my top ten for sure ;)

• Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

1987 Topps Bo Jackson

• Options
    76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ScoobyDoo2 said:
    This forum doesn't have the pixel capacity for all of my favorite cards.... so I spun a bottle and it landed here:

Why did you sell it ? I just saw it sold on Ebay and had been watching it.

Jeff

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everything I have is pc :)
    to narrow it...

• Options
    ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

@76collector ..... I actually just bought it this morning.....replaced an 8.5 I had..... :)

• Options
    76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ScoobyDoo2 said:
    @76collector ..... I actually just bought it this morning.....replaced an 8.5 I had..... :)

Beautiful card. Had my finger on the trigger for that one as well, congrats.

Jeff

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • Options
    stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vagabond said:
    Did the Duren receive a bump? Asking because according to the PSA website, when the barcode is scanned, it shows the same card but in a PSA 9 holder.

@stevegarveyfan said:
    The Garvey is mine, but the Duren card very well may be the prettiest card design ever, in my book.

Interesting. Not my card, so I didn't realize that it had been submitted for review. Looks awesome in either case.