balco758balco758 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow the Jackie. Wow.

• Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a sweet 1978 Ozzie! Never knew that card existed 🙂

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dan89 said:

Both not my most pricey, however when I look at it all these ones I always take another look

Hey dan89,
    Pretty Cool...
    :)

• Options
    charlesf20charlesf20 Posts: 384 ✭✭✭

• Options
    VagabondVagabond Posts: 552 ✭✭✭✭

Crazy how that Jackie card was about 5K from 1954 up until 2015. Then from 2015 to 2021, the latest one sold for 55K. That's just 6 short years.

• Options
    charlesf20charlesf20 Posts: 384 ✭✭✭

A lot of changes in the last 6 years.

• Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

@GilR said:
    I'm not sure I have any one favorite, but back when I was young and immature these would have been among my favorite cards. (I hope I can be forgiven for not having had them graded.)

In that vein, he would have sustained a career ending injury had he ever faced this guy:

• Options
    GilRGilR Posts: 147 ✭✭✭

Well, he would always have had this option. (Another favorite card, as per the thread's topic. I got it from a pack back in 1989. One of the few Fleer packs I bought that year.)

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

DotStore,

Do you plan to get Hank graded?

• Options
    DgilbertDgilbert Posts: 127 ✭✭✭

the colors work well together and the character pose just flows together.

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens" Jimi Hendrix.
    instagram dgilbert008

• Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

@balco758 said:
    DotStore,

Do you plan to get Hank graded?

Was actually thinking to get several cards graded at the National this year including this one.

• Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 869 ✭✭✭✭✭

pujols and frank thomas refractors.

• Options

Damn!!! That Joe D is an absolute beauty!

• Options

@NGS428 said:

really like your collection of griffeys in every grade!

• Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭

@Vagabond said:

@azvike said:
    This would probably be mine...I've never seen one centered better IMHO

@UFFDAH

This would be mine. Card is perfectly centered. Just shifted over in the holder at the time of being scanned. Picked this one up in Chicago during last year's National within about 2-3 hours of arriving. Felt good to get it out of the way so quickly and then being able to just walk around (mostly broke) at a relaxing pace.

Beautiful card! Every time I see it, I cry....since I sold it years ago for under $1000.

• Options
    VagabondVagabond Posts: 552 ✭✭✭✭

I remember looking at the Trout Diamond in 2017 when it was around $1400 and I instead picked up the 2013 Bowman Chrome Judge Auto. Horrible decision that ended up costing me big time. I unloaded the Judge in 2019 for a little more than I purchased it for but today, it's even worth less than what I paid. The Trout on the other hand has only gone up and up since. It's still not too late to pick one up if you want one. May be easier to sell things to grab it quicker but it's worth it imo.

• Options
    76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ScoobyDoo2 said:
    @76collector ..... Ozzie just arrived yesterday evening...... cheers!

Looks even better in your picture !!! Great pick up, congrats.

Jeff

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • Options

1911 Zeenut Weaver (8 men out)

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 23, 2022 10:27AM

Incredible cards and stories everyone. The card on the far left is my favorite because not only does it have the greatest forward and defenseman that ever played the game, but I love looking at how much pride and joy Gretzky took in signing his name after Orr signed first. I’ve never seen a better Gretzky signature on an older card.

If you allow me to be a technical nerd for a moment, because I don’t think Gretz could repeat this auto even if he tried.

Look at how the W connects to the a. How the G connects to the r. How the line under the 99 connects to the y. How the 99 is perfectly centered from the top to bottom and left to right inside the signature. It’s absolute perfection.
    Just incredible beauty and flow to this signature. On top of that the B and Y in Bobby land perfectly on the image borders.

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Frozencaribou said:
    Great cards, guys. Uffdah- That Jim Brown is a beautiful card, and I like the connection many of us have to it by following your thread when you ripped that pack. The 8.5 grade was made for a card like that.

I am a lifelong collector, and was a small time weekend dealer as a teenager in the 90's, but it wasn't until after university in 2002 that I ever had more than $200 to spend on any one card. I bought this OPC Gretzky ungraded at a local show in Ottawa for $425 and it represents not only a wise purchase, but also brings me back to that time in my life just by looking at it.

It was in an SGC 92 holder for a long time but I came to prefer PSA so cracked and subbed it just before the recent boom.

Gretzky is one of my all-time favourites, even though I had a hard time staying up for the mountain time zone starts to watch him when he was at his absolute peak. Here's my player set for him: https://psacard.com/psasetregistry/hockey/player-sets/wayne-gretzky-basic-o-pee-chee-set/publishedset/56627

-Nathanael

Nice story and beautiful card Nathaniel. Even though I prefer my PSA 9 Gretzky 79 postcard over my rookie, I still remember way overpaying for this one because it looks like a refractor in person. The print color and quality is +++.
    Some believe the oil drop on the bottom right should be centered to show good registration. It’s actually the oil drop on his uniform that should be centered. Great card Nathaniel and nice story.

• Options

these are my favorite cards of my three most favorite players.

• Options

looks like i doubled posted sorry.

• Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭

These cards are all amazing.

Here's my favorite in the PC.

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lwehlers said:

hey lwehlers,
    a few of my top 3 fav's...

• Options

>

hey lwehlers,
    a few of my top 3 fav's...

great cards especially the mahomes.

• Options
    1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭