Home Sports Talk
Options

Wastes of talent

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

Biggest wastes of talent in sports history?

Comments

• Options

First one that comes to mind for me is Johnny Manziel, that guy had ridiculous talent.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Off the top of my head

Vince Young
    Lawrence Phillips
    Jamarcus Russell

Ryan Leaf I believe was over rated so I'm not going to include him

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,131 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2022 1:39PM

if there's ever a wastes of flesh thread i'm locked and loaded

in terms of this one, the first name ready to fly off my fingers is brien taylor. #1 overall pick in the draft, injured his shoulder in a fight, never even made it to the majors, ultimately ended up in prison

• Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

This thread would not be complete without mentioning Len Bias

• Options

Michael Vick before the dog fighting thing happened was pretty darn good, after he returned he just wasn't the same guy.

• Options

Ricky Williams was a huge talent at running back, his career went up in smoke.

• Options

Ricky Williams actually got his Heisman trophy hooked on weed, and now the trophy is a lazy, washed up shell of it's former self, just look.

Ricky's Heisman trophy in 1998

Ricky's Heisman trophy today

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a long time Braves fan I remember the Pascual Perez days like they were yesterday. I pulled so hard for him. He had that outlandish personality on the mound but unfortunately he had personal demons off the field he could not control and ultimately died at a way too young age. He was so brilliant on the times on that mound and I wished he could have just put it all together and who knows what could have been.

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭✭✭

Josh Gordon - Size, speed, unbelievable hands. Had it all but couldn't stop smoking weed and it destroyed his NFL career after 2 years.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

Justin Blackmon

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Josh Hamilton

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure what the newspaper says in DD’s original post but if it says Joe Jackson he’s possibly the greatest baseball player of all time. That is the greatest waste without question

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Ricky Williams has over 10,000 career rushing yards, which is surprising given all the drama.

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dwight Gooden - He was still great at times, but what could have been...

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

Florida/Miami phenom Jose Fernandez

He was just 24 years old and already so dominant when he died recklessly in a boating accident.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    Florida/Miami phenom Jose Fernandez

He was just 24 years old and already so dominant when he died recklessly in a boating accident.

On his way to being an all-time great. 2.58 career ERA in his four seasons - 6.8 H/9, and had a 12.5 K/9 his final season. He had potentially multiple Cy Young Awards in his future.

Such a waste.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AFLfan said:
    Dwight Gooden - He was still great at times, but what could have been...

Since I don’t care for the Mets, I can live with that quite easily.

How about Bo Jackson as a full time baseball player?

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭✭

Todd Marinovich comes to mind.

Strawberry and Gooden as well.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

That's funny, because that was more or less the thought I had when I saw Johnny Manziel mentioned.

I'll nominate Tony Conigliaro.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dallasactuary said:

@Justacommeman said:

That's funny, because that was more or less the thought I had when I saw Johnny Manziel mentioned.

Agree

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2022 9:37AM

Ernie Davis - Syracuse and Cleveland Browns.

Not by his own doing.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

Emoni Bates

Emoni Bates, EMU star, former No. 1 recruit, arrested on gun charge, suspended from team

Ypsilanti native and Eastern Michigan basketball star Emoni Bates was arrested Sunday night on a gun charge, the Free Press has learned.

Bates was pulled over by the Washtenaw County Sheriff's Office at 10:43 p.m. when an officer saw Bates failed to stop at the intersection of Nottingham and Clark Rd. in Superior Township, according to the sheriff's office.

According to police, a firearm was discovered in the car upon investigation and Bates, 18, was taken into custody and held in jail overnight.

Bates was arraigned Monday at 14A District Court, wearing a jean jacket in a beige colored room, He only said his name, "yes ma'am," and his preferred address that court send his paperwork. Bates was released on personal bond. His next court hearing for probable cause is scheduled for Oct. 6.

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Darrell Strawberry

Have a nice day
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

Michael, Sugar Ray, Richardson.

David, Luke Skywalker, Thompson.

Marvin, Bad News, Barnes.

• Options

Marcus Dupree

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

Len Bias

Daniel
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,131 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BaltimoreYankee said:

Len Bias

and the draft pick right after Bias..........Chris Washburn

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭✭✭

"The King- Ryan Leaf" :D

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lawrence Phillips comes to mind

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:
    Marcus Dupree

The best that never was

I watched the 30 for 30 and it's an absolute shame, Barry Switzer was a dirtbag and all the people that took control of this kids decision making were to blame as well

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,220 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2022 12:12PM

EDIT: the soon to be former Celtics head coach.
    Sorry Todd!

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's not get into the Celtics issue. I don't want to see a debate over how we should feel about these sorts of things.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options

@Steven59 said:

"The King- Ryan Leaf" :D

Ryan Leaf is also a feel good story. He rehabbed, turned his life around and with the help of his wife set up help centers. I give him incredible cudos. He could have hid from public life instead tells his story and helps others. A bust as a player but as a human a triumph

W.C.Fields