Home U.S. Coin Forum

Show Us Your Lucky Penny

mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's mine...

<3

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

Comments

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 4, 2022 6:50AM

@asheland said:

<3 FANTASTIC LUCKY PENNY!

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a large (2-1/4 inch) lucky penny:

Golden Gate Exposition - Lucky Penny
    Bronze, 58 mm, 32.60 gm
    Obverse:
    Indian Head / LUCKY PENNY
    Reverse:
    City skylines, Treasure Island, Bay Bridge / BERKELEY. OAKLAND. / WORLDS FAIR. / SAN FRANCISCO.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

This one, posted just a few minutes ago, is definitely in the top 3 of lucky pennies posted thus far. Says LUCKY PENNY right on it and I <3 the CA theme. Where might one buy one of these?

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to keep a 1819 Large Cent as a pocket piece... until I lost it somewhere. Not very lucky... :-/

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
    edited February 5, 2022 2:06PM

@Picker1954 said:

You wish this was your penny.

The die chip in the upper loop of the 'S' is present on the obverse of the SVDB seen above. As for PCGS #1-4, the die chip can be seen in #2, #3,and #4. PCGS #1 is indeterminate for the upper loop die chip at this writing. The vast majority of 1909-S VDB's (99%+?) are from PCGS #2, #3,or #4 obverse die.

2/5/22 UPDATE: I saw an enlarged image of PCGS#1 just today after I posted what is seen above. It, too, has the die chip in the upper loop of the 'S.' Conclusion: ALL known-to-be genuine 1909-S V.D.B.'s have die chip in upper loop of the 'S.' Having said that, what could still be a genuine 1909-S V.D.B. may not necessarily exhibit the evidence of the die chip (a tiny dot inside the upper loop of the 'S') because of circulation wear to the mintmark, damage to the mintmark, dirt inside the mintmark,etc.

edited February 4, 2022 3:42PM

Thanks for the nice intro for me to post better pictures of date and mintmark here for Mr. Newman to analyze. Feel free to post your real lucky penny for us all here while I wait for my endoscope to arrive. Your SVDB from PCGS die #3 that you found in a junk box would definitely be a good choice for your real lucky penny to post here. Don't be shy. We all lucky penny lovers here.

• IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mr1874 said:
    Thanks for the nice intro for me to post better pictures of date and mintmark here for Mr. Newman to analyze. Feel free to post your real lucky penny for us all here while I wait for my endoscope to arrive. Your SVDB from PCGS die #3 that you found in a junk box would definitely be a good choice for your real lucky penny to post here. Don't be shy. We all lucky penny lovers here.

With your new equipment, I'm sure you'll get to the bottom of it in no time.

Improper alloy mix (Woody)

Problem of the past since these came out...

@bramn8r said:
    Bought slabbed by "NNC" ? - for $20, and graded a crazy wrong grade, crossed over to MS64

$20? Get outta here!

Just kidding. >:) Lovely.

• bramn8rbramn8r Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mr1874 that's what my notes say, $20 and NNC MS66RD!

edited February 5, 2022 1:48PM

Your '24 is a great looking piece, bramn8r. :) I never found '20's pennies back in the day (early '60's) that looked as good as your '24. There was a collector in my hometown who found a real nice uncirculated '24-D in a roll, however. That coin made the local newspaper.

• CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a few of mine. I have some more...somewhere! :)

• ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's one found roll searching some time back. Couldn't find my pic until now. A little late to this party.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

Here's one found roll searching some time back. Couldn't find my pic until now. A little late to this party.

Better late than never. I like your lucky penny. Hoping your penny weighs only 2.5 grams though. Weighing 3.1 grams with the clover leaf on it would not make your penny so lucky.

edited February 6, 2022 12:40PM

For Mr. Newman's inspection:

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mr1874 said:
    For Mr. Newman's inspection:

that's half the battle. nice close-ups btw. :)

how about the other half?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

I can email to you the V.D.B. images I get with my endoscope. Let me know by PM where to send.

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bearcave said:

Here's mine!

Do your pennies keep getting stolen or are they stolen? I’ve never understood why you hide the cert number all the time? Just curious LOL

edited February 6, 2022 7:38PM

@mr1874 said:
    I can email to you the V.D.B. images I get with my endoscope. Let me know by PM where to send.

you are welcome to email them to this thread.

why not post them? there must be 1000+ years of numismatic experience on these boards. pcgs consults with at least a few members and i'm sure a few have been graders. you giving us half this puzzle almost makes it seem as though you are trying to stir things up. you got your wonderful scope you were wise enough to purchase. show us what ya got!

effective members post images, at least consider what is being shared with them and let the chips fall where they may.

i will not address this coin further w/o rev image(s), especially close-ups of the vdb.

thanks

Here's a better image of the V.D.B. The third dot is there but does not really show up under high magnification. Also, the point of the 'V' dips a little lower than the image below indicates that it does.

I get one sa remark in this thread about trolling this forum by presenting this V.D.B. to the best of my ability and I will delete this post too.

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK so what if it is an original 09VDBS like who cares. Get the effing thing graded and get back to us already.
    Omg :D

OK so what if it is an original 09VDBS like who cares. Get the effing thing graded and get back to us already.

You are a little late to this party. My "09VDBS" has been graded. PCGS F15. The grade is not under question. Authenticity is being questioned.

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 6, 2022 8:24PM

@mr1874 said:
    You are a little late to this party. My "09VDBS" has been graded. PCGS F15. The grade is not under question. Authenticity is being questioned.

["Authenticity is being questioned" ] - I doubt it will be anymore.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

@Coinscratch said:

if he sends it to pcgs, he probably won't get it back.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@Coinscratch said:

if he sends it to pcgs, he probably won't get it back.

In the "probably fake scenario," I would get the coin back but not the holder and label, right?

@mr1874 said:
    Here's a better image of the V.D.B. The third dot is there but does not really show up under high magnification. Also, the point of the 'V' dips a little lower than the image below indicates that it does.
    I get one sa remark in this thread about trolling this forum by presenting this V.D.B. to the best of my ability and I will delete this post too.

tx for the images. i'm confident if you had your scope to begin with, we would live in an entirely different universe than we do now. (thanks to the person whom suggested/linked the one they bought, for a good price too no less)

so while this whole thing has been a total #*#^-show, i do appreciate your effort to provide the images right after you got the scope. (not an endo-scope, ouch) ;)

i'll do some comps with vdb, for closure, either tonight or tomorrow. gotta let my engine cool down a bit first.

the image of vdb/09-s will be attached for posterity for a myriad of reasons.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file